What Rabbits Do You Have? Show Off Your Rabbits Here!

Coolest Rabbit Breed Out Of These?

• Holland Lop

Votes: 108 21.3%
  • English Spot

Votes: 14 2.8%
  • American Fuzzy Lop

Votes: 11 2.2%
  • Mini Rex/Rex

Votes: 107 21.1%
  • New Zealand

Votes: 94 18.6%
  • Polish

Votes: 13 2.6%
  • English Lop

Votes: 33 6.5%
  • Mini Satins/Satins

Votes: 14 2.8%
  • Lionhead

Votes: 112 22.1%

• Total voters
So sorry to hear about your rabbit.

Question: I have a doe that got out of her cage 32 days ago. Our buck was free ranging in the yard. I have no doubt he had his way with her. She was too young to breed her purposely. She was born 2/18/15. Could it be that she wasn't old enough for it to take? My other does have kindled on day 31. How long should I leave the nest box in just to be safe? Thanks for taking the time.

Happy Fourth Of July!!!!

Thank you. And I thought 6 months is when they can start breeding, 8 months for larger rabbits. These are the ages they hit full puberty. At that age, it's possible, but unlikely that she took. I would maybe leave the nest box in for a few more days though, just to be safe.

Thank you. And I thought 6 months is when they can start breeding, 8 months for larger rabbits. These are the ages they hit full puberty. At that age, it's possible, but unlikely that she took. I would maybe leave the nest box in for a few more days though, just to be safe.

I believe does can breed at 4 months. At least that is the case with dwarfs.

I've always heard that anything over 12 weeks, it's possible, which is why we separate by gender at 8 - 10 weeks.

@kacklinkelly - if your doe hasn't done anything by day 35, it's my guess that she's not going to do anything. A doe that young would probably make a total hash of things anyway, but IME, a doe that kindles on day 35 usually only has one or two, and they hardly ever survive the birthing process. I have heard people tell of does that kindled litters at 40 days or more, but I haven't ever seen it happen.
idunno.gif

I bred my buck to my friend's doe at 6 months and she had two deformed stillborn kits. I don't think the success rate is very high when they are young, even if they do take.

I really appreciate the feedback. Just for the record, our males and females were all separated before 12 weeks old. She got out when her cage wasn't locked properly. Not that I'm blaming anyone but DH is very happy we don't have any unplanned kits right now.
wink.png
She was 14 weeks old and the buck was her father who was free ranging in the yard. She is NZ and Cali mix. When the weather permits, all our rabbits get turns stretching their legs and being able to be well…rabbits. This was definitely an oops. Thanks again.

Back
Top Bottom