What Rabbits Do You Have? Show Off Your Rabbits Here!

Coolest Rabbit Breed Out Of These?

• Holland Lop

Votes: 108 21.3%
  • English Spot

Votes: 14 2.8%
  • American Fuzzy Lop

Votes: 11 2.2%
  • Mini Rex/Rex

Votes: 107 21.1%
  • New Zealand

Votes: 94 18.6%
  • Polish

Votes: 13 2.6%
  • English Lop

Votes: 33 6.5%
  • Mini Satins/Satins

Votes: 14 2.8%
  • Lionhead

Votes: 112 22.1%

• Total voters
I currently don't have any pictures to post but I just bought a Silver Fox buck to start a meat rabbit breeding program for my journey to raising 100% of my family's meat. Next month I will be buying a California White Doe

This is my friend's beautiful Holland Lop/Mini Lop! Would y'all call him a chocolate vienna? Also, do y'all think he could produce darker Harlequin with my lighter Harlequin LionLop?

Last edited:
Yes, your friend's rabbit looks like a VM chocolate. But as to whether he'd produce harlequins with your Lionhead mix? That is anybody's guess. Clearly, he's not a harlequin himself, and harlequin is rather uncommon in the Lop breeds. However, non-extension colors like tort and sable point are extremely common Lop colors, so though he isn't a non-extension color, there's a pretty good chance that he could be carrying a non-extension gene. Harlequin is recessive, but non-extension is the one thing it can't hide behind. So, I have to say that there may be a chance that he could produce a harlequin baby with the Lionhead mix, since she obviously is a harlequin herself. But having bred Harlequins (the breed) for many years, I can tell you that even in rabbits selectively bred for the pattern, Harlequin coloring goes all over the road, so even if you get a harlequin baby, what it might look like is a total toss-up.

We photographed a bunch of our rabbits yesterday. They came out a little blurry but that's OK....

Our black otter rex doe

Sage, an opal doe, her daughter, about 5 months old.

Yes, your friend's rabbit looks like a VM chocolate. But as to whether he'd produce harlequins with your Lionhead mix? That is anybody's guess. Clearly, he's not a harlequin himself, and harlequin is rather uncommon in the Lop breeds. However, non-extension colors like tort and sable point are extremely common Lop colors, so though he isn't a non-extension color, there's a pretty good chance that he could be carrying a non-extension gene. Harlequin is recessive, but non-extension is the one thing it can't hide behind. So, I have to say that there may be a chance that he could produce a harlequin baby with the Lionhead mix, since she obviously is a harlequin herself. But having bred Harlequins (the breed) for many years, I can tell you that even in rabbits selectively bred for the pattern, Harlequin coloring goes all over the road, so even if you get a harlequin baby, what it might look like is a total toss-up.

My friend's rabbits parents are a frosty pearl white Holland Lop and a black Mini Lop. My little Reesie's mom is a chocolate harlequin Lion Lop and dad is a siamese sable Lion Head. I'm perfectly fine with the colors being all over the place. I just really love Harlequin :)

Last edited:
I
My friend's rabbits parents are a frosty pearl white Holland Lop and a black Mini Lop. My little Reesie's mom is a chocolate harlequin Lion Lop and dad is a siamese sable Lion Head. I'm perfectly fine with the colors being all over the place. I just really love Harlequin :)
I would not breed unless they are for show rabbits or meat, because we don't need more mutt rabbits in this world. However, it is your decision and I am here to help if you have any questions or concerns.

Back
Top Bottom