What Rabbits Do You Have? Show Off Your Rabbits Here!

Coolest Rabbit Breed Out Of These?

• Holland Lop

Votes: 108 21.3%
  • English Spot

Votes: 14 2.8%
  • American Fuzzy Lop

Votes: 11 2.2%
  • Mini Rex/Rex

Votes: 107 21.1%
  • New Zealand

Votes: 94 18.6%
  • Polish

Votes: 13 2.6%
  • English Lop

Votes: 33 6.5%
  • Mini Satins/Satins

Votes: 14 2.8%
  • Lionhead

Votes: 112 22.1%

• Total voters
Maybe it's my computer, but she just looks like a black to me. I have a black Holland Lop, coloring looks the same.

I was going to comment the same, she looks black. Seal has more of a distinct "brown" shine to it. I posted a picture not too long ago on here when someone asked. But this bun looks more jet black than seal. Could be wrong though. Still adorable either way. I raise Hollands as well :)

In a few years our oldest son will be old enough for 4h and we would really like to start with rabbits(as well as our chickens). We would lso ike our small hobby farm to be more self sustainable. so what id like to know is what breed/breeds of rabbit make a. A good pet for our kiddos, b. Good show rabbits, and c. Good meaties. Any advice is appreciated

Last edited:
Hi, Kjohnson! Welcome to rabbiting! It's an awesome and fun hobby. Get one bunny and soon you'll be hooked.

Some of the best meat breeds out there are New Zealands and Californians, but there's lots of options. These rabbits breed fast and true with big, heavy bodies, good meat to bone ratios and extremely fast growth. They're generally even-tempered but distincly not "sweet" rabbits. Mine accept handling well enough, but don't LIKE it per-say.
Some other good meat breeds include Palominos (renouned for great temperments and light bones, but every breeder I have found has small litters like 4-6), Champagne D'argente's, Silver Fox (very beautiful rabbits, but often a bit expensive for quality animals), Rex (Smaller but the softest fur in the world), American, Satin and Chinchilla (extremely popular for the fur like the silver fox).

Some so-so meaties bred more for other things include Dutch, Florida white, Checkered/Flemmish Giants, French Lops, Harlequin, Mini Rex and French Angoras. These are all rabbits with serious meat faults (for example, the Mini Rex and Florida White have GREAT meat bodies but they are very small rabbits, whereas the Giants/French Lop are TOO big and have huge bones) but will do fine for eating if you're more interested in the breed and less in the meat.

Rabbit temperments vary like nobodies business so I guess it is most important for you to find a breeder that breeds the temperament you want. I've met some mean "pet" rabbits, and some of the sweetest "meat" breeds. So just ask the breeder about if they breed for temperament.

Quote: Maybe it's just the lighting, but she has a dark chocolate hue and a large patch of the color on her head.
idunno.gif

Maybe it's just the lighting, but she has a dark chocolate hue and a large patch of the color on her head.
idunno.gif

What I think I'm seeing in this picture is a rabbit that is in the middle of a molt. I think I can see a prime line right behind her eyes. A lot of rabbits get sun bleached when exposed to strong light; they usually develop a reddish tinge (blues get mistaken for lilacs, for example). If this rabbit is exactly this same color a month from now, I might change my mind, but right now, I'm thinking black, too.

Hoping for early babies! I have my blue tort holland lop doe due on Friday. I bred her to my convention placing broken buck. And my black otter netherland dwarf doe due on Saturday. I bred her to my 17 leg black otter buck.:)

Chocolatemouse, thank yiu for all that info! I think that gives me a pretty good start! I had bunnies growing up and loved them!! Excited to get some again!

Went to my friends house last night, I'll be adding another breed of rabbit to my hollands - an English Angora!!! Fell in love with hers and she has a couple of litters at the moment. Going to bring him a cute little grey one, or Blue if thats an English Angora color as well.

Back
Top Bottom