What Rabbits Do You Have? Show Off Your Rabbits Here!

Coolest Rabbit Breed Out Of These?

• Holland Lop

Votes: 108 21.3%
  • English Spot

Votes: 14 2.8%
  • American Fuzzy Lop

Votes: 11 2.2%
  • Mini Rex/Rex

Votes: 107 21.1%
  • New Zealand

Votes: 94 18.6%
  • Polish

Votes: 13 2.6%
  • English Lop

Votes: 33 6.5%
  • Mini Satins/Satins

Votes: 14 2.8%
  • Lionhead

Votes: 112 22.1%

• Total voters
Does anyone here know what would a cause a male rabbit to NOT breed with a female? My friend and I have been trying to breed her doe to my buck and have no luck. She brought her doe over early last month, my buck wasn't really doing much when she was placed in the cage. Left her there for most of the day and then removed her. Today would be day 36 or so and she hasn't done a thing so we're thinking she's not pregnant. I picked her up yesterday and brought her home, placed her in the cage with him, he tried mating with her once but by the looks of it didn't succeed. I left her in there for about two hours and they just layed there. My buck just hung out in the corner. So I removed her for a couple of hours and then placed her in there again later in the day, nothing. They've been together since and I think they're becoming better friends than soul mates. Lol I would place my doe in there as a test to see if he goes after her but she is currently mothering a litter and I don't need her pregnant again. Just weird that he stays away from her when she is in his cage.

If it's lawn, I would cut the lawn down, spray it with water, and give it a few days to be disinfected by the sun. If it's dirt, soil, or anything of the type, I would dig the top layer off, spray it, and let it sit in the sun for a few days, then add more soil to the top.

If it's lawn, I would cut the lawn down, spray it with water, and give it a few days to be disinfected by the sun. If it's dirt, soil, or anything of the type, I would dig the top layer off, spray it, and let it sit in the sun for a few days, then add more soil to the top.

ThAnks to all of you it's not grass but I can definitely dig up a layer, wet it and let it receive the sun. Thanks so much!!

Does anyone here know what would a cause a male rabbit to NOT breed with a female? My friend and I have been trying to breed her doe to my buck and have no luck. She brought her doe over early last month, my buck wasn't really doing much when she was placed in the cage. Left her there for most of the day and then removed her. Today would be day 36 or so and she hasn't done a thing so we're thinking she's not pregnant. I picked her up yesterday and brought her home, placed her in the cage with him, he tried mating with her once but by the looks of it didn't succeed. I left her in there for about two hours and they just layed there. My buck just hung out in the corner. So I removed her for a couple of hours and then placed her in there again later in the day, nothing. They've been together since and I think they're becoming better friends than soul mates. Lol I would place my doe in there as a test to see if he goes after her but she is currently mothering a litter and I don't need her pregnant again. Just weird that he stays away from her when she is in his cage.
I have bucks that just don't consider certain does as "soulmates" but maybe try them in a neutral place neither have been before.

What a day yesterday! Our grow out pen of six 11 week old rabbits became unlatched at some point in the night and when I went to check on them and give them breakfast in the morning they were gone! We don't have a fenced in yard so I figured I would never find them! It took all day, but we found and caught all six! Three were in neighbors yards and I got close to them and got them to come with their food bowl. One was in the woodpile and my husband was able to catch it. And two showed up at dinner time (we feed and water them in the evening as well) and were hanging out near the cage! What an adventure!

What a day yesterday!  Our grow out pen of six 11 week old rabbits became unlatched at some point in the night and when I went to check on them and give them breakfast in the morning they were gone!  We don't have a fenced in yard so I figured I would never find them!  It took all day, but we found and caught all six!  Three were in neighbors yards and I got close to them and got them to come with their food bowl.  One was in the woodpile and my husband was able to catch it.  And two showed up at dinner time (we feed and water them in the evening as well) and were hanging out near the cage!  What an adventure! 

Whew! I'm so glad you found them. That is super!

What a day yesterday! Our grow out pen of six 11 week old rabbits became unlatched at some point in the night and when I went to check on them and give them breakfast in the morning they were gone! We don't have a fenced in yard so I figured I would never find them! It took all day, but we found and caught all six! Three were in neighbors yards and I got close to them and got them to come with their food bowl. One was in the woodpile and my husband was able to catch it. And two showed up at dinner time (we feed and water them in the evening as well) and were hanging out near the cage! What an adventure!
Goodness! How lucky! Glad you got them back!

i just had some bunnies born today literally 5 minutes ago will post pics soon as i get some took. she has had 4 so far dont know if she is done. last timew she had 4 blk and whiter and 1 solid blk and this time all are solid blk. i breed her with a solid white male and she is solid blk. and last time bred with blk and white male so weird but so cool at same time.

That's because of how color genes work. It's actually quite telling of her genetics.
The colors are a different gene than the pattern. So if the black gene is dominant to the white gene it means that if you have a buck with a recessive color (like white) and a doe with a dominant color (like black) you'll always get the dominant color every time. In this case, black is dominant to white because white is the absence of all pigment, and having even a little black gene in there means it always comes out black. (Laymens terms.)

But the pattern basically says "BTWs, the color gene doesn't activate in these areas" and that's totally different. So when you breed in a patterned buck, sometimes you'll get patches, and the color will be whatever the color genetics say it is. So if you mixed in a doe brown rabbit you could get a rabbit with brown patches out of a black patched buck. Or something completely different and muddled color wise in patches like a steel, brindle or castor. But regardless, whatever color the genetics say the coat would be as a solid is the same color that will show up in the patches on the coat.

It sounds to me like your doe may carry the gene for broken colors and needs another broken carrier (or in the case of you buck, a double broken carrier) to express it in the offspring because it's recessive. So if you breed a buck with double solid color genes to her (like the white rabbit) you'll always get solids. If you breed another carrier of broken to her you will get half-and-half, and if you breed a broken to her you will get MOSTLY broken, but the occasional solid rabbit.

Don't even get me started on the agouti gene...

She could make a good test doe to see what color pattern genetics your bucks carry.

(Sorry, spent two years studying coat genetics in dogs. :p )

Back
Top Bottom