What Rabbits Do You Have? Show Off Your Rabbits Here!

Coolest Rabbit Breed Out Of These?

• Holland Lop

Votes: 108 21.3%
  • English Spot

Votes: 14 2.8%
  • American Fuzzy Lop

Votes: 11 2.2%
  • Mini Rex/Rex

Votes: 107 21.1%
  • New Zealand

Votes: 94 18.6%
  • Polish

Votes: 13 2.6%
  • English Lop

Votes: 33 6.5%
  • Mini Satins/Satins

Votes: 14 2.8%
  • Lionhead

Votes: 112 22.1%

• Total voters
Here is my frosty doe from the last litter I'm keeping...

I'm wondering if its going to be "sable based" because of how light it is rather than black based.

Here is my frosty doe from the last litter I'm keeping...

I'm wondering if its going to be "sable based" because of how light it is rather than black based.

I'm sure you've said, but I don't remember - what colors are the parents? If this rabbit has chestnut siblings, you've got a full color C. If you had a Chinchilla in the litter, you have a cchd. A Frosty can have either the Chin cchd or the shaded cchl, but it has to have the REW gene, c. That's 3 of the 4 "C" genes accounted for.

She has two chestnut siblings, a chinchilla sibling, dad was a chin and mom was a harlequin. But I believe a sable point was one of the parents' parent. If that makes sense. That's why when I looked up the different shades of frosty's, I was curious if she could be a sable frosty?

She has two chestnut siblings, a chinchilla sibling, dad was a chin and mom was a harlequin. But I believe a sable point was one of the parents' parent. If that makes sense. That's why when I looked up the different shades of frosty's, I was curious if she could be a sable frosty?

If the sable point is the Chin's parent, then yes, it is possible. Sable point is like the self pattern version of Frosty - shaded (cchl) plus REW (c) at the C locus, and the non-extension genes at the E locus. Your harli doe is Cc (one full-color gene, one Ruby-eyed White gene). Your Chin buck could be cchdcchl (one chin gene, one shaded gene). The dark bands on the hair shafts on a good chinchilla look black, the light bands are nearly white. You can get a rabbit with the cchl "shaded" gene and the agouti pattern; it looks a lot like a chinchilla but is noticeably darker on the points than on the body, and the bands on the body hairs look more like dark brown than black. This is one of the reasons that people who "know" color discourage breeding a shaded anything to an agouti - you can get confusing and frustrating, non-showable colors!

A Frosty is an agouti color, so it should only be bred to agoutis. Frosty should be Chin (cchd) plus REW (c). That's not a problem with other agouti colors. The problem with breeding to shaded is that shaded is self-based rather than agouti based. You can wind up with a rabbit that has self genes and the chin gene. A self chin looks black, until you put it next to a real black, and it may have gray eyes. A good judge will at least mark it down for "poor color," any other eye color besides brown on a black rabbit is an automatic DQ.

Oh well that's good then. I love the chinchillas and chestnuts. Love my chin buck. Would love to show him but I don't think he would do well. He's got a nice big round head, but he his body may not be the best. But I wouldn't be able to breed him back to this frosty that is his offspring would I?

Back
Top Bottom