What Rabbits Do You Have? Show Off Your Rabbits Here!

Coolest Rabbit Breed Out Of These?

• Holland Lop

Votes: 108 21.3%
  • English Spot

Votes: 14 2.8%
  • American Fuzzy Lop

Votes: 11 2.2%
  • Mini Rex/Rex

Votes: 107 21.1%
  • New Zealand

Votes: 94 18.6%
  • Polish

Votes: 13 2.6%
  • English Lop

Votes: 33 6.5%
  • Mini Satins/Satins

Votes: 14 2.8%
  • Lionhead

Votes: 112 22.1%

• Total voters
So the little black T thing attaches to one end of the brass nipple?
edstromaddon.jpg

If I use these nipples that attach to PVC, do I still need to use the black hose? Couldn't the water just circulate through the PVC pipe?
stndValve-threaded.jpg
No, you use hose between the nipple and the T connector. The threaded nipple needs a threaded PVC saddle to connect to PVC pipe; no black hose involved.

You do not need the black tubing if you go with the PVC screw in nipple. The black piping system is best for locations that do not get freezing weather. I attached an image of the PVC fitting (PVC Pipe Reducer for 1/2 in pvc w/ 1/8 in fpt) you need to attach the screw in nipple. I have been unable to find these locally at either the big box home improvement stores or the local plumbing supply so I just order online when I order additional nipples.

Last edited:
Thanks so much for the info. I've been contemplating a water plan and this gives me a working model to go off of for winter and summer for the buns and chicks. Especially if I need to be away.You can always throw extra food in but water is an issue. And that's pretty much similar circulation I use for my bio filters(of course the pumps inside the pond). Plus I already have most of the supplies.
thumbsup.gif

Can I use a latch like this on my wire cage doors without worrying about an animal breaking into the cages? I'm mainly concerned about raccoons. I know they're in the area, but we have a lot of dogs so I think the smell and barking of dogs keeps them away and I'm hoping they would be more interested in the chickens. Does anyone use these latches or have a suggestion for a easy, secure latch I can put on a wire door?

My rabbits are

Alice - New Zealand White Doe
Bella - New Zealand Black Doe
Caramel - New Zealand / Flemish Giant Doe
Annie - Harlequin Doe
Anna - Flemish Giant Doe
Snow - New Zealand / Silver Marten Doe
Lickie - 1/4 New Zealand, 1/4 Flemish Giant, 1/2 Silver Marten Doe

Peter - New Zealand White Buck
Sirius - New Zealand Black Buck
Augie - Harlequin Buck
Chewy - New Zealand / Beveren Buck
Hans - New Zealand / Beveren Buck
Thumper - 1/4 New Zealand, 1/4 Flemish Giant, 1/2 Silver Marten Buck
B & T - 1/4 New Zealand, 1/4 Flemish Giant, 1/2 Silver Marten Buck
Blue Eyed Brown - New Zealand / Silver Marten Buck
Runt - New Zealand / Silver Marten Buck

So, I went through last winter trying to find the best water system for me... Our rabbits are nowhere near out water line so I carry water out every day. Crocks froze too fast and they'd spill them and get them dirty and all sorts of things.

I found that the water doesn't come out of the bottles more in the winter because the tips tend to freeze. The big rabbits can break it but the kits can't.

My solution? Have 2X's water bottles for each cage. Fill one with warm water, bring it out, swap it for the partially frozen one, leave, 2X's a day. The warm water in the bottles doesn't freeze to undrinkability for 8-10 hours because of the thick plastic so my rabbits have water 18-20 hours a day still which is fine and way better than the crocks were giving.

As for the bottles leaking, the front 4-6 inches of my cage are wire floors; it leaks and drips right out of the cage without consequence.

That's how I handle my rabbit water now. I just carry out the bottles in a basket. Easy as pie.

My DH built the rabbits a watering system. He took a 5 gallon buck, a pond pump and a aquarium heater and ran water lines to the cages and back to the bucket. Has rabbit water nipples at each cage. We take a bucket of water out each day and fill up the 5 gallon bucket with. No bottles to mess with and with the water kept warm and moving nothing freezes. There is a small space heater in the rabbit area so that new born kits don't freeze.

My nipples are suppose to waiting for me when I get home
big_smile.png
Watering isn't a big deal just the time in the am before work.

Back
Top Bottom