What Rabbits Do You Have? Show Off Your Rabbits Here!

Coolest Rabbit Breed Out Of These?

• Holland Lop

Votes: 108 21.3%
  • English Spot

Votes: 14 2.8%
  • American Fuzzy Lop

Votes: 11 2.2%
  • Mini Rex/Rex

Votes: 107 21.1%
  • New Zealand

Votes: 94 18.6%
  • Polish

Votes: 13 2.6%
  • English Lop

Votes: 33 6.5%
  • Mini Satins/Satins

Votes: 14 2.8%
  • Lionhead

Votes: 112 22.1%

• Total voters
I got this beautiful pair of netherland dwarfs 2 days ago from one of my old teachers she said she needed cage space and known how I've been wanting some so she gave them to me free. The doe is 9 weeks old and the buck is 10 weeks old. The doe is the otter(black/tan) and the buck is the chestnut(brownish) Can't wait to breed them when there old enough
They are beautiful!

My 10 year old netherland dwarf, Peter. :)

HELP!

Has anyone gotten their rabbits to drink from chicken nipples?
It said on the site for poultry or rabbits, but it's nothing like their bottles so I didn't know if it would work.
We have to go out of town for a few days and the person I hired to come care for my animals had a death in the family and backed out. I have no one else.

I had the great idea of taking the top of their water bottle and using it in a 5 gallon bucket.
The bucket has to be upside down to get the effect because if you just put it in the bottom it would all run out the bottle top thing.
So I attached it to the lid, closed it up good, and flipped it over. The bottle top worked great but the lid to the 5 gallon bucket is leaking like crazy!

My last resort is these poultry nipples.

I told my husband I would stay here to care for the animals and he could take our kids the trip to upstate NY to see his family and that turned into him going all crazy on me, screaming I hate his parents, and I'm selfish, though that's an entirely different story....

HELP!

It said on the site for poultry or rabbits, but it's nothing like their bottles so I didn't know if it would work.
We have to go out of town for a few days and the person I hired to come care for my animals had a death in the family and backed out.  I have no one else.

I had the great idea of taking the top of their water bottle and using it in a 5 gallon bucket.
The bucket has to be upside down to get the effect because if you just put it in the bottom it would all run out the bottle top thing.
So I attached it to the lid, closed it up good, and flipped it over.  The bottle top worked great but the lid to the 5 gallon bucket is leaking like crazy!

I told my husband I would stay here to care for the animals and he could take our kids the trip to upstate NY to see his family and that turned into him going all crazy on me, screaming I hate his parents, and I'm selfish, though that's an entirely different story....

Ok I've never done it but there are nipples made for rabbits, and whats selfish about taking care of animals that relay 100% on you. Srry but he shoulda like a selfish jerk. But that's my opinion and I'm not married or old enough so, I "don't know what I'm talking about" and I'm one of the worlds BIGGEST animal freeks. Lol, so just ignor me. Lol

Mine drink from these.
The poultry nipples they'll be able to figure out too. When switching watering ways I usually give the a few days careful observation. I also "show" them how for a few minutes (tapping it til it makes a mess lol but when its hot I wanna make sure they see water comes out of there) when I first switched, I would fill the old water bottles and place the drinking part right next to the new nipple. They figure it out quick usually :)

HELP!

We have to go out of town for a few days and the person I hired to come care for my animals had a death in the family and backed out.  I have no one else.

So I attached it to the lid, closed it up good, and flipped it over.  The bottle top worked great but the lid to the 5 gallon bucket is leaking like crazy!

HELP!

We have to go out of town for a few days and the person I hired to come care for my animals had a death in the family and backed out. I have no one else.

So I attached it to the lid, closed it up good, and flipped it over. The bottle top worked great but the lid to the 5 gallon bucket is leaking like crazy!

Wow. You're unwilling to abandon your animals to die of hunger or thirst in the summer heat (they won't eat if they can't drink, you know), and YOU are getting called "selfish?" There are a few labels I'd like to stick to him, but as you said, that's another matter.

The typical water bottle (with the steel balls in a tube) works by negative pressure - i.e, a vacuum. As the rabbit licks it, air bubbles get in, allowing the water to get out. Such devices will leak until a vacuum develops, so if there is a way that air can get in, they will continue to leak.

There are numerous small livestock water valves that work by positive pressure - a tiny seal prevents the water from leaking out, and the water comes out when the animal dislodges the tip. I have 2 problems with poultry nipples: they are frequently designed to be mounted vertically (rabbits can get water up there noses when drinking from an overhead waterer) and if the are largely plastic, a rabbit may chew them up. I have an automatic rabbit watering system with horizontal nipples, and it does a great job. It isn't entirely maintenance-free, of course (nipples and lines can get clogged), but it is a lot simpler than all those bottles!

Okay, thank you all for the help!
I had someone set up to care for them and they had a death in the family and unexpectedly went to Florida so I'm stuck.
I was afraid to introduce a new system right before I left so I just bought much bigger things.
I have 6 big rabbits, 2 minis, and a young one. There are 2 4 gallon waterers and each have a 5 gallon bucket of food I designed to go out into a tray like a standard feeder. I left their 4 water bottles, but they'll be gone by tonight. 8 gallons of water should last 9 rabbits right??? It's in the shade, I had a fan on them. They're not in cages, they're in a male and a female run right on the ground predator proofed and each have a house, but they sleep under it (livestock fencing buried 1ft down they like to burrow under their houses which are XL cedar dog houses).

For the chickens I have 5 gallons of water for 12 chicks, 15 gallons for 15 chickens a turkey & a peacock, & 10 gallons for 11 young pullets 4 chicks & a meat turkey.

I know I have more than enough food, but water's what I'm worried about.
I also put apples, carrots, raw corn, raw tomatoes, and watermelon in the pens since they are full of water but knowing my fatties they'll all be gone by this afternoon.

We will be gone an entire week, you guys think I'm okay on water????
I'm having a complete panic attack!!!
I feel like I'm leaving my children....

Edit: All the pens have lots of shade, shelter, and the ground is all sand/dirt so when they fluff it up it's cooler.

Last edited:
It sounds like you have made the best of a tough situation. Is there anyone who can come and fill the gallons in about four days just to be sure? Not be responsible all week, just a one time fill up? I know my chickens and rabbits go through an insane amount of water when it is hot. We have a 10 day vaca in August, and even though we have a pet sitter, I'm worried. This is the longest we have left them, and we will have two week old chicks with my broody. It sounds like you have enough water to me, but I'm sure if you could get at least one check up it would give you peace of mind.

If you don't feel comfortable asking a neighbor to check in on them, maybe you could call your local 4H or boyscouts/girlscouts in your area to see if someone might want to earn a few bucks and possibly earn a merit badge. We have a local Mormon church in our community who typically have visiting missionaries. Perhaps they could help out (if you have the same in your area). I can understand your concern. Hoping everything works out for you and your family (and your animals, of course)

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom