What Rabbits Do You Have? Show Off Your Rabbits Here!

Coolest Rabbit Breed Out Of These?

• Holland Lop

Votes: 108 21.3%
  • English Spot

Votes: 14 2.8%
  • American Fuzzy Lop

Votes: 11 2.2%
  • Mini Rex/Rex

Votes: 107 21.1%
  • New Zealand

Votes: 94 18.6%
  • Polish

Votes: 13 2.6%
  • English Lop

Votes: 33 6.5%
  • Mini Satins/Satins

Votes: 14 2.8%
  • Lionhead

Votes: 112 22.1%

• Total voters
I would make them their own pen if you plan on breeding. A lot can go wrong that's just not worth risking imo. It's one thing to have a buck in there, he'll hump chickens and maybe play chase if ornery. A doe will become defensive as she matures and breeds. She could harm a curious chicken. The buck could harass her stressing her while she's nursing, impregnating her after kindling making it so her 2nd litter is born before she's weaned the 1st one. The feed can be an issue long term too.
My chickens eat mice if they catch one, baby bunnies are meat snacks if small nuff to a chicken. A friend of mine had young chickens in her rabbit pens and baby rabbits ended up missing toes from chickens who saw just a lil wiggle and bit
sad.png
In with chickens is not the safest place for baby buns.

x2 Some bucks won't even wait until the doe is finished kindling to try and breed her...

I would make them their own pen if you plan on breeding. A lot can go wrong that's just not worth risking imo. It's one thing to have a buck in there, he'll hump chickens and maybe play chase if ornery. A doe will become defensive as she matures and breeds. She could harm a curious chicken. The buck could harass her stressing her while she's nursing, impregnating her after kindling making it so her 2nd litter is born before she's weaned the 1st one. The feed can be an issue long term too.
My chickens eat mice if they catch one, baby bunnies are meat snacks if small nuff to a chicken. A friend of mine had young chickens in her rabbit pens and baby rabbits ended up missing toes from chickens who saw just a lil wiggle and bit
sad.png
In with chickens is not the safest place for baby buns.
Thanks I didn't even think of the chickens harming the kits,and the buck gets curious of the chickens but will run away or the mama hen will chase him and he will respect her. I would love to have there own pen but it isn't possible right now but I'll definitely think of what else to do. And won't let her kindle in there thanks

I had a Holland buck with chickens for a year. They did great. He had his own hutch to escape to if needed but loved to catch a chicken because they'd squat for him when he did :gig he was big enough to take a peck if chickens were testy and nice enough to not be a danger to the chickens (grown birds).
He lived happily bouncing around with chickens.

Maybe if all seems great with your boy there he can stay there. Then just build a pen for the doe separate and she can raise her young in her space. (remember she will dig most likely (my NZW does LOVE to dig lol)
Thanks I didn't even think of the chickens harming the kits,and the buck gets curious of the chickens but will run away or the mama hen will chase him and he will respect her. I would love to have there own pen but it isn't possible right now but I'll definitely think of what else to do. And won't let her kindle in there thanks  

I had a Holland buck with chickens for a year. They did great. He had his own hutch to escape to if needed but loved to catch a chicken because they'd squat for him when he did
gig.gif
he was big enough to take a peck if chickens were testy and nice enough to not be a danger to the chickens (grown birds).

Maybe if all seems great with your boy there he can stay there. Then just build a pen for the doe separate and she can raise her young in her space. (remember she will dig most likely (my NZW does LOVE to dig lol)
Hahaha poor hens and I'm sure he did love it as every rabbit would. And I heard the mama's and doe's in general love to dig because of there burrowing/nesting instincts.I love seeing rabbits burrow cause it's like there back in the wild

I had a Holland buck with chickens for a year. They did great. He had his own hutch to escape to if needed but loved to catch a chicken because they'd squat for him when he did :gig he was big enough to take a peck if chickens were testy and nice enough to not be a danger to the chickens (grown birds).

My does dug all the time and even tunneled to the neighbor's yard who fortunately didn't have dogs. My bucks haven't dug yet, but I have now learned that they can dig too. I don't have the does anymore and my bucks are fixed.

I have a cute rabbit don,t know what it is. Won't leave the chicken alone keeps mounting :)can,t stop her. Told the kids that's how Easter eggs are made they know I,m only messing. Here,s a photo he,s 2 yrs old and his name is harry. He loves to run around the back garden and dig holes and eat things he should,nt like my plants hope you like him.
1f44d.png

Today is day 28. Nothing this am so maybe there will be bunnies when I get home form work. Its going to be as hard on me not to lift the lid off that box as it is for the kids. I finally told them this am if they didn't leave her alone she would eat the babies. I got the big eyes from my 10 year old and then I added "Yeah some Mama's actually do that.".

I am still relatively new to rabbits and my question is that since our two rabbits mated on Sunday, should I make sure that they are not together anymore?my boys are wanting to put them together so they can play but I'm worried that they may try to mate again and something may go wrong or the female may get hurt.

I am still relatively new to rabbits and my question is that since our two rabbits mated on Sunday, should I make sure that they are not together anymore?my boys are wanting to put them together so they can play but I'm worried that they may try to mate again and something may go wrong or the female may get hurt.
There is a risk that the male may get hurt as well. If a doe is not interested, she can be nasty! If they aren't usually together, this is not the time to put them together.

Back
Top Bottom