What Rabbits Do You Have? Show Off Your Rabbits Here!

Coolest Rabbit Breed Out Of These?

• Holland Lop

Votes: 108 21.3%
  • English Spot

Votes: 14 2.8%
  • American Fuzzy Lop

Votes: 11 2.2%
  • Mini Rex/Rex

Votes: 107 21.1%
  • New Zealand

Votes: 94 18.6%
  • Polish

Votes: 13 2.6%
  • English Lop

Votes: 33 6.5%
  • Mini Satins/Satins

Votes: 14 2.8%
  • Lionhead

Votes: 112 22.1%

• Total voters
Wellllll . . . .

You might get reds out of that cross, but they will probably be smutty. A good red in the Mini Rex has chocolate at the B locus, because there is usually a bit of the dark pigment left on the tip of the hair shaft, and chocolate looks close enough to red to not really show. Neither of her parents express non-extension at the E locus (non-extension [e] is what gives you reds and torts, it is recessive to the normal extension [E] that gives you black and castor), so you can't be sure that she has it. If she isn't carrying non-extension, you could breed her to a red from now to kingdom come, and never get a red.

The most likely result from crossing your red buck to this black doe is castor. Good reds and castors have lots of rufous modifiers to give them that deep, rich color. If this doe has a good castor as a parent, she should be able to give rufous to her offspring, so she could produce some nice castors.

These are the latest photos of my two little beauties and of course mum! What colours does everyone think they are now? I'm pretty sure the White is a buck and the black/brown is a doe :) but we shall see!

Very nice pix. I love the updates. I attempted to sex 3 of ours today but don't feel confident at all. Lots more checking to do as they get older. The two nicest looking ones (at least according to some) appeared to be male and one of the white ones appeared female. (to my very inexperienced eyes) We shall see.

Thanks bunny lady! I wasn't considering the e, just the a d and c. Makes more sense that way when you think of all five in the series. Still learning! Our red buck is very clean, no smut, but could use more density, which is the problem with reds in general.

Im no expert unlike others on here, but to me, that rabbit looks too long to be a holland lop. I have had a mini and a holland lop in the past and there was a massive difference in size generally. To me anyway it looks like a mini lop x

@CochinBrahmaLover -That's a toughy. The breed standard for the Mini Lop has the weight between 4 1/2 and 6 1/2 pounds, and the Holland's maximum showable weight is 4 pounds. Of course, the Holland is a dwarf breed, and "false dwarf" Hollands can be well into the Mini Lop weight range. Bigger Hollands typically have faces that look a bit longer, and ears that hang well below the jaw. Believe it or not, this 5 pound rabbit was a pedigreed Holland Lop; her sire was registered:

(If she looks familiar, that is Cupcake, the original "Chester" on One Tree Hill). The correct posture for a Holland is to sit upright, but it isn't uncommon to run into "rug munchers" that tend to hunker down like a Mini Lop.

I'm really on the fence with that white rabbit. The ears make me think Holland, though nothing else really does; it could even be a cross between the two breeds.
idunno.gif

Not yet. I have considered it in order to free up where the nest box usually goes. My set up is not permanent at this time. I am currently piecing it together based on what I can afford and find.

My Does will be expecting again probably sometime next week. It is still too cold outside for them and a few people has told me that I could bring the kits inside and bring the doe in when they need nursing. Or bring the kits back out when they need nursing. Or bring both the doe and the kits inside. Which should I do and how should I go about doing it?, thanks SGF1

Back
Top Bottom