What Rabbits Do You Have? Show Off Your Rabbits Here!

Coolest Rabbit Breed Out Of These?

• Holland Lop

Votes: 108 21.3%
  • English Spot

Votes: 14 2.8%
  • American Fuzzy Lop

Votes: 11 2.2%
  • Mini Rex/Rex

Votes: 107 21.1%
  • New Zealand

Votes: 94 18.6%
  • Polish

Votes: 13 2.6%
  • English Lop

Votes: 33 6.5%
  • Mini Satins/Satins

Votes: 14 2.8%
  • Lionhead

Votes: 112 22.1%

• Total voters
My Does will be expecting again probably sometime next week. It is still too cold outside for them and a few people has told me that I could bring the kits inside and bring the doe in when they need nursing. Or bring the kits back out when they need nursing. Or bring both the doe and the kits inside. Which should I do and how should I go about doing it?, thanks SGF1

mine are outside in a building. We converted an old chicken coop into a rabbitry. Thin wood and huge windows not fun in the wintertime
hmm.png
but nice and cool in the summer
cool.png
my does just kindled last Friday and Saturday and the temps were around 5 degrees here. They pull a great deal of fur which is great! If they are in a building or even a hutch that is protected from biting winds they should be ok. I would make sure the doe pulls enough fur though, if there is not enough they will definitely be cold and would die.

Hi all, I was wondering if you could help me. I have a problem with my buck rabbit and I have no idea what to do! He's been refusing to use his right front paw during the last 10 days or so. IME a rabbit would just go on with its daily business, but he's been just lying on the ground throughout the day. We took him to the vet and they could not find a problem with his leg, and they suggested it was a neurological problem ie depression. Has anyone else experienced this? A rabbit expressing a mental problem through physical symptoms?

He's basically laid himself down to die now, but I really don't want to let him go without a possible cure or at least an explanation. Any ideas appreciated!

mine are outside in a building. We converted an old chicken coop into a rabbitry. Thin wood and huge windows not fun in the wintertime
hmm.png
but nice and cool in the summer
cool.png
my does just kindled last Friday and Saturday and the temps were around 5 degrees here. They pull a great deal of fur which is great! If they are in a building or even a hutch that is protected from biting winds they should be ok. I would make sure the doe pulls enough fur though, if there is not enough they will definitely be cold and would die.

The reason I'm asking this is because they've already lost a litter to the cold and I know for sure that I'm doing something different but I was coming here for some possible guidance?

Shady grove - Our doe kindled her first litter 3 weeks ago so I am certainly no expert. It sounds like you have been given some working suggestions. I encourage you to decide what your purpose for having rabbits is. Once you have that decision made, you can feel more comfortable with making a choice that works for you and your rabbitry purpose. My nature is to want to nurture everything. However, my purpose for raising rabbits is for pets and/or meat for our family. When I remember this, I am able to choose what supports my scenario. I would hate to lose an entire litter. I can imagine that is so upsetting. However, I want hardy rabbits. It helps that I have lots of wild rabbits and coyotes just outside our backyard fence line. When I think about the life those rabbits are living, it helps me be more balanced in my thinking. Hoping this helps you in making a choice that works for you. All the best.

Nutcase, I am sorry I have no helpful information to provide. What I have learned from reading this forum is that most vets are not trained for treatment of rabbits. If the rabbit is eating, drinking and pooping normally - I personally would attempt to do an overall wellness check to determine if maybe there is a splinter or wire from the cage embedded in the paw. Where I live, we have lots of scorpions and creepy crawlers that sting/bite and cause nasty side effects. If there is no obvious sign of flinching/pain, my thought is that I would bring the rabbit into the home so I could observe more closely. If it truly is some form of depression, he might like having more attention and being part of the clan. Just my 2 cents worth. Hoping for a positive outcome.

Shady grove - Our doe kindled her first litter 3 weeks ago so I am certainly no expert. It sounds like you have been given some working suggestions. I encourage you to decide what your purpose for having rabbits is. Once you have that decision made, you can feel more comfortable with making a choice that works for you and your rabbitry purpose. My nature is to want to nurture everything. However, my purpose for raising rabbits is for pets and/or meat for our family. When I remember this, I am able to choose what supports my scenario. I would hate to lose an entire litter. I can imagine that is so upsetting. However, I want hardy rabbits. It helps that I have lots of wild rabbits and coyotes just outside our backyard fence line. When I think about the life those rabbits are living, it helps me be more balanced in my thinking. Hoping this helps you in making a choice that works for you. All the best.

My purpose for breeding rabbits is breeding show stock and if I don't have a good quality show rabbit I will pet it out. I got my first rabbit in July of 2013 and have been preparing my breeding pairs ever since then by getting some really good stock. At night its getting well below freezing and very windy and until I can build myself a nice shed that I'll use for my rabbits and my breeding program then I'll have to bring the babies inside. Thanks for your help!

Shady grove - Our doe kindled her first litter 3 weeks ago so I am certainly no expert.  It sounds like you have been given some working suggestions.  I encourage you to decide what your purpose for having rabbits is.  Once you have that decision made, you can feel more comfortable with making a choice that works for you and your rabbitry purpose.  My nature is to want to nurture everything.  However, my purpose for raising rabbits is for pets and/or meat for our family.  When I remember this, I am able to choose what supports my scenario.  I would hate to lose an entire litter.  I can imagine that is so upsetting.  However, I want hardy rabbits.  It helps that I have lots of wild rabbits and coyotes just outside our backyard fence line.  When I think about the life those rabbits are living, it helps me be more balanced in my thinking.  Hoping this helps you in making a choice that works for you.  All the best.

My purpose for breeding rabbits is breeding show stock and if I don't have a good quality show rabbit I will pet it out. I got my first rabbit in July of 2013 and have been preparing my breeding pairs ever since then by getting some really good stock. At night its getting well below freezing and very windy and until I can build myself a nice shed that I'll use for my rabbits and my breeding program then I'll have to bring the babies inside. Thanks for your help!

It's a misconception that cold is a problem for rabbits. Rabbits love the cold. Ours were born outside when it was single digits. A good mom will make a good nest, cold is really not a problem. So please make sure you perceive the real reason for loss of kits, bad mothering is a totally unrelated issue. Good mothers will keep them warm when is below zero and cool when it's above 95.

It's a misconception that cold is a problem for rabbits. Rabbits love the cold. Ours were born outside when it was single digits. A good mom will make a good nest, cold is really not a problem. So please make sure you perceive the real reason for loss of kits, bad mothering is a totally unrelated issue. Good mothers will keep them warm when is below zero and cool when it's above 95.
Well tell that to three frozen kits that came from my farm earlier this year
hmm.png

Has anyone ever used heat lamps for the kits?

Quote: I have dug under lots of fur into a nest that I packed hay into myself, to find whole litters of frozen kits. Cold most definitely is an issue, perhaps it is relative to the conditions that they normally experience.
idunno.gif
I have also lost adult rabbits to cold, mostly dwarf breeds. It can be a scramble to try to keep enough water available to them to keep them eating enough to keep themselves warm.

Question: Our kits will be 4 weeks old on Tuesday. The doe seems miserable in the cage with them. When I go to the cage to feed, she pounces on the door, bites the wire and attempts to scramble past me. She got past me one day with a kit hanging on. The poor thing slammed into wire under the door and fell off. I put a milk crate in the cage to give her a place to jump up to but within 2 days the babies were able to jump up there too. I was shocked. I took her out of the cage today and put her back in her single cage for the day. It was too rainy to let her roam the yard. When I put her back in with the babies tonight, she jumped all over the place when they tried to feed. I'm thinking of weaning them on Tuesday for good (4 weeks old) They are already eating hay, pellets and drinking out of water bottles on the side of the cage. 6 of the 8 kits are really plump & active. 2 are active but just not as plump as the others. My plan is to take mom out for the day tomorrow and monday. Put her back in at night time and then take her out for good on Tuesday. Your feedback is appreciated. This is my first attempt at weaning.

Question:  Our kits will be 4 weeks old on Tuesday.  The doe seems miserable in the cage with them.  When I go to the cage to feed, she pounces on the door, bites the wire and attempts to scramble past me.  She got past me one day with a kit hanging on.  The poor thing slammed into wire under the door and fell off.  I put a milk crate in the cage to give her a place to jump up to but within 2 days the babies were able to jump up there too.  I was shocked. I took her out of the cage today and put her back in her single cage for the day.  It was too rainy to let her roam the yard.  When I put her back in with the babies tonight, she jumped all over the place when they tried to feed.  I'm thinking of weaning them on Tuesday for good (4 weeks old) They are already eating hay, pellets and drinking out of water bottles on the side of the cage.  6 of the 8 kits are really plump & active.  2 are active but just not as plump as the others.  My plan is to take mom out for the day tomorrow and monday.  Put her back in at night time and then take her out for good on Tuesday.  Your feedback is appreciated.  This is my first attempt at weaning. 

I really liked this site when I was wondering the same thing.
http://www.raising-rabbits.com/weaning-rabbits.html

Hope this helps!

Back
Top Bottom