What should I feed?

belindaschicks

Songster
Jun 8, 2016
I have 5 standard hens
2 bantam hens not laying yet 17 weeks
And 1 bantam roo
I was feeding chick feed. Before was feeding nutrena feather fixer ( which my flock loved and thrived on). Can they go back on the nutrena feather fixer?

I feed Purina Flock Raiser (Non Medicated) and Purina Scratch Gains to ALL my birds, Chickens and Muscovy. Chicks and ducklings are feed the Flock Raiser until they are about 3 to 4 wks then I start adding in the Scratch Grains. When raised with Mom Bird, they eat what Mom eats..
Never had any deficiencies since I started feeding Purina Flock Raiser, about 4yrs ago, and No Egg issues either.. As far as the Oyster shell goes, I Never had ANY of my birds, chickens or Muscovy eat the stuff.. even back 7yrs ago when I was feed my birds cheap chicken feed..

I just hate feeding Purina. Flock raiser is the only thing I have seen close to an all flock at TSC. Would it make sense to maybe mix flock raiser with layer?

I have 5 standard hens
2 bantam hens not laying yet 17 weeks
And 1 bantam roo
I was feeding chick feed. Before was feeding nutrena feather fixer ( which my flock loved and thrived on). Can they go back on the nutrena feather fixer?
If they are not laying then they need to be on A starter feed until they do. TSC has an organic that is non purina. The biggest problem is finding non gmo that contains animal protein. Chickens are not vegetarians they are omnivore. Feather fixer is good high in protein but low in calcium and you need calcium to make eggs. Do you provide oyster shell or granite or egg shells for them

Feather Fixer has 3.25% calcium, so not super low. You can feed that to your flock or layer if they all are 17 weeks old or older. People have fed layer to roosters for years & not seen a problem, so it is entirely up to you what you do.

Back
Top Bottom