What to cross with White Plymouth Rocks?

TheHappyHen21

Chirping
Sep 14, 2015
Russell, Ny
I raise black jersey giants and also light brahma. I'm planning on purchasing white Plymouth rock pullets, what can they be crossed with for a decent meat bird? Like to use what I have. I butchered my brahma roos last year and they didn't have much breast meat, there not hatchery birds.

I don't believe any of the dual purpose birds have any thickness to breast. It really takes a Cornish for that double thick breast. If you get a hold of a good strain they don't need to be crossed. Fella on here was getting 4lbs dressed in 14-15 weeks with a nice line, red laced maybe? Can't remember.

I have found white rocks to have a bigger breast than any other dual purpose I have raised. They don't have a huge breast like cx but it isn't super skinny. They are also one of my favorites to fry.

Cross with Dorking, Indian game, or Cornish. Maybe Favorelles or Buff Orpingtons. Best, Karen

Last edited:
I have used American Games (male) crossed over White Plymouth Rocks and got very well muscled birds from a free-range setting. Chicks where incubated and reared by game hens. They benefit well from supplemental feeding. They are heavy enough to have difficulties getting onto roost.

Back
Top Bottom