what to feed the chickens in the summer months

Since chicken scratch is hot for the chickens what do I feed them during the summer time.

Welcome to BYC!
Scratch is intended as "treat" rather than the base of their diet and should make up no more than 10% of their diet at any time of the year. The base of any good feed program is a nutritionally balanced poultry ration - such as layer, grower, etc. So, the answer to the question is that you should feed them the same base diet all year around - a good, balanced poultry ration of your choice (I opt for a grower ration for all my birds from the first to last day they are in my flock as I have a mixed flock with birds that are and are not actively laying, making layer ration a poor choice).
Now, if you are asking what you can offer as a treat for your birds in the summer - you can offer scratch or any other appropriate "treat" food you wish - one summer favorite for my birds is watermelon.

Thank you, I am a very new chicken owner. I still have not mastered how to pick them up. I think we are both scared.. Can I feed them red seedless grapes?

I guess I still don't know what I can feed them.

Are you wanting suggestions for treats to use in trying to tame your chickens or asking what their staple/base diet should be made of?

Thank you, I am a very new chicken owner. I still have not mastered how to pick them up. I think we are both scared.. Can I feed them red seedless grapes?

If you have chickens that are too young to lay, you can put them on something called starter or grower feed. If your chickens are laying, they have a layer feed. If you have a mixed age group, you can feed something called all flock. Just supplement that with oyster shell for your layers. In addition, I feed mine greens like kale, squash, a little corn, watermelon, sprouts, tomatoes, spinach, etc. I have a garden for some of this stuff, I grow the sprouts for them, I clean out the fridge, & I buy some things for them at the store. Good luck with your girls
1f44d.png

As for feed, there are a lot of suggestions on the site as to which feeds should be fed at which ages (ex. chick starter, grower, flock raiser, layer., by Dumor, Purina, Nutrena). This should make up the most of their diet.

As for treats, chickens have only a few normal foods that can hurt them, including raw potatoes and yams, and avocado. During a bad hot spell, I dug out some old frozen green beans from the deep freeze. They loved it!

I was given these 7 bantam chickens 3 roosters and 4 hens.My boyfriend built me a coop and it has a box inside that will hold 3-4 hens. The roosters sleep on top of the box. I get 4 eggs a day. 1 hen and 1 rooster are speckled (probably a pair) the other 3 hens are reddish brown they are all very nice and they are always happy to see me. I get bait worms that I give them once a week. I give them zuchinni, squash,watermelon, tomatoes,red grapes, necterines and leaves from my necterine trees.They also get poultry layer crumble and scratch grains. I bought a bag of oyster shell that I was going to mix with the layer feed and scratch grain.
This is my first run with chickens. I got an incubator from Miller Mfg (little giant) I took 4 eggs and today is the 20 day I already have a chick that has started to pip and I hear him chirping every so often. the other 3 nothing yet. I will be patient. that one chick is really chirping now as I sit here and type to you.
So do you think I am doing ok and is there any tips for me at this time?

I was given these 7 bantam chickens 3 roosters and 4 hens.My boyfriend built me a coop and it has a box inside that will hold 3-4 hens. The roosters sleep on top of the box. I get 4 eggs a day. 1 hen and 1 rooster are speckled (probably a pair) the other 3 hens are reddish brown they are all very nice and they are always happy to see me. I get bait worms that I give them once a week. I give them zuchinni, squash,watermelon, tomatoes,red grapes, necterines and leaves from my necterine trees.They also get poultry layer crumble and scratch grains. I bought a bag of oyster shell that I was going to mix with the layer feed and scratch grain.
This is my first run with chickens. I got an incubator from Miller Mfg (little giant) I took 4 eggs and today is the 20 day I already have a chick that has started to pip and I hear him chirping every so often. the other 3 nothing yet. I will be patient. that one chick is really chirping now as I sit here and type to you.
So do you think I am doing ok and is there any tips for me at this time?
They'll hatch on their own, which may take a full 24 hours! Make sure you've got chick feed (do NOT feed newly hatched chicks layer feed) and prepare to expand your coop and run, you'll need probably more space when those little guys are ready to join the flock!
Congrats on your pipper!
ya.gif
wee.gif
yippiechickie.gif

Back
Top Bottom