What were these guys

Party_Chicken

Crowing
Feb 1, 2023
Anywhere with chickens
My Coop
My Coop
We got all six of these chicks from a school hatch. Four of them were cockerels and they were re homed then we lost one hen to predators and all we have left is Cocoa. We got more along the way so she isn’t lonely. I have a couple figured out but I would like your opinions.

#1 Bubbles- My guess is red sex link but I’m not sure
03103F10-4FD7-40C1-87A0-F248F431B7B0.jpeg

D23C8919-32EF-403E-9884-D378BA599CC4.jpeg

#2 Boomerang I believe ermine is what someone called it. He was very pretty.
080C6C08-D616-4DE2-8659-12937255EAFC.jpeg

4D58F156-5E51-4EE0-A169-FF41D7B02AB8.jpeg

#3 Bojangles- he was an olive/Easter egger
10C30094-9991-47CB-916A-BBA5FF49ADA8.jpeg

E023BAD6-F196-41FC-BA12-C371198E6D08.jpeg

#4 Chickale- He was a black sex link
92B22660-A430-40EA-B1AB-5585BA5D21AC.jpeg

#5 Poppy- She was the hen we lost and I have no clue we’re to even begin with her she layed small pinkish cream eggs.
EDAAA0AD-A753-4990-A24D-B6AFCE4CA6C1.jpeg

1EBC7190-1634-4977-9799-C012AE10F3BD.jpeg

#6 Cocoa- I thought jersey giant but her chicks were white ( Chickale was the dad) she lays large brown speckled eggs. She turned one year old the other day!
E5006C1A-6ECD-44AB-9032-4FC887186AB3.jpeg

F5BBC48B-9092-4673-B99F-9C5B7ECF3533.jpeg

I don’t have any information about the parents. All I know is they came from a bus drivers flock.

#1 yea, RSL

#2 is a really cool mix. Those hiding barred feathers are something else.

#4 really a stunner. (Some comments below)

#5 obviously legbar, and between that, the rest of her and the egg color - possibly a LavOrp? Lavender is also recessive, so it could have been something completley dif carrying that gene

#6 very well could be a JG (yellow feet) or large australorp (whit feet) and dad could have a recessive white gene. He certainly has the barring, but not sure on the RIR component. But the way you said it compared to the rest suggests you are certain about him.

#1 yea, RSL

#5 obviously legbar, and between that, the rest of her and the egg color - possibly a LavOrp? Lavender is also recessive, so it could have been something completley dif carrying that gene

#6 very well could be a JG (yellow feet) or large australorp (whit feet) and dad could have a recessive white gene. He certainly has the barring, but not sure on the RIR component. But the way you said it compared to the rest suggests you are certain about him.
I am pretty sure 1 and 2 have the same dad that’s why I’m pretty sure about the BSL. My first thought for 5 was Creasted cream Legbar because the comb and hair are identical to hers but she doesn’t lay the eggs for it.

#1 yea, RSL

If it helps she layed almost every day and she went broody twice.

This makes sense. The further you get from the hatchery generationally, the more naturally instinctive they get.
That will be added to the list of words I used to try to describe her annoying, crazy, dramatic, diva, headache, escape, and naturally instinctive. That makes a lot of sense. So what you are saying is she is mixed multiple generations? We hatched her chicks so we just made even crazy chickens?

Edit: Her build kind of reminded me of a game hen. Just a thought those eggs would match it.

Last edited:
So what you are saying is she is mixed multiple generations? We hatched her chicks so we just made even crazy chickens?
Oh I can't say for sure. She was certainly an F2 because of the mix, could very well have been an F3.

We had a broody just hatch F5's from our flock! Excited to see what comes about. But yes, the further down the rabbit hole we go, the more different the chickens get. I wouldn't say crazy, but certainly more like you'd imagine a wild chicken to be.

The most interesting thing we see is how paternal a rooster is to hatched chicks. Still doesn't really care, but they seem to spend atlesst a day after hatch with the hens, just following them around like a big family.

If we don't pull the eggs twice a day, you will have broody hens everywhere. We use the rollaway nesting boxes which keeps them in line, but at least once a month you'll see a chicken who has been missing for a few weeks running around with chicks in tow.

Lastly, to your description of her eggs, we get consistently smaller eggs. Nothing wrong with them at all, but noticeably smaller than what a hybrid will lay.

Back
Top Bottom