What will be the color of chickes when Pure Black Australorp Male is crossed with Australorp and RIR Crossed Female.

Shahroon

In the Brooder
Dec 2, 2020
Sorry for this long post but i think it's necessary.
In my country Pure Black Australorp are becoming very famous due to new breed in my country. Almost in every city people have made hatcheries and it's becoming a very booming business.
I myself have kept only a few australorp's and sold a-lot of chicks and made good money and want to expand my business.
As you know when something is booming, scam also follows it.
People are selling cross bred australorp's in the name of pure australorp's.
I want to buy 3 to 4 months australorps but due to the scams i'm confused right now.

If i get chicks of australorp's that were crossed with RIR's but some of the chicks are also pure black in color and they do not show any brown color at 3 month age,
Will the breeder be remain pure black in color?

If i get those pure black colored crossed australorps chicks of age 3 months and hatch their chicks.
Will the next generation be pure black in color?

Or the dominant color in chicks is that of a Male color that you crossed with?

I'm just concerned with the color and want my chicks to be pure black and they remain black as they grow.

Appreciate your help in advance
ThankYou

I'm pretty sure Black x rhode Island red would make 100% black chicks, although there's always some outliers. If you bred those RR mixes who are black, you should get mostly if not all chicks that are black, from my understanding :D

I'm pretty sure Black x rhode Island red would make 100% black chicks, although there's always some outliers.

You'd probably have some red leakage, like on Black Sexlink hens (they often have red in the breast and neck areas). Males are likely to have red leakage in the shoulder area.

I want to buy 3 to 4 months australorps...I'm just concerned with the color and want my chicks to be pure black and they remain black as they grow.

If they are all black at that age, they might stay black, or they might still show some red as they get older.

If all you want are black chickens, you can breed two mostly-black ones together and get more mostly-black chickens, probably a few with all-black feathers, and maybe a few with red feathers.

You'd probably have some red leakage, like on Black Sexlink hens (they often have red in the breast and neck areas). Males are likely to have red leakage in the shoulder area.

If they are all black at that age, they might stay black, or they might still show some red as they get older.

If all you want are black chickens, you can breed two mostly-black ones together and get more mostly-black chickens, probably a few with all-black feathers, and maybe a few with red feathers.

So you are saying if i select pure black colored chicks and they do not show any brown leakage at age 6 month, their next generation will not have any brown leakage? if i understand you correctly.

Thanks alot for your help...
I'm still not convinced though if anyone can still help me I'm still here to hear from you.
And Again thanks for your help in advance.

I don't want to play around... i want to be 100% sure. As you know i want to start hatchery of black Australorp... i want to be sure if by chance i buy Australorps that were crossed with rir but they are still pure black in color and when i sell their chicks, the buyer doesn't come back after 3 months angrily, grabbing me from the collar and say that you sold me the wrong chicks and they were not pure... i want my buyers to be satisfied and I don't want to trick anybody.
If you understand what I'm trying to say ☺️

i want to be 100% sure. As you know i want to start hatchery of black Australorp... i want to be sure if by chance i buy Australorps that were crossed with rir but they are still pure black in color and when i sell their chicks, the buyer doesn't come back after 3 months angrily, grabbing me from the collar and say that you sold me the wrong chicks and they were not pure... i want my buyers to be satisfied and I don't want to trick anybody.
If you understand what I'm trying to say ☺

I understand what you're trying to say, and I agree that if you are selling Black Australorps you want them to really be black!

But from the information you've given, I don't think it's possible to be 100% sure of that.

The best test (but slow) is to buy your Australorps, hatch a few hundred chicks, raise them all to maturity--and if they all look fine, sell chicks from those same parents the next year. Of course, that requires a lot of time, space, and expense, so not practical for most people.

I understand what you're trying to say, and I agree that if you are selling Black Australorps you want them to really be black!

But from the information you've given, I don't think it's possible to be 100% sure of that.

The best test (but slow) is to buy your Australorps, hatch a few hundred chicks, raise them all to maturity--and if they all look fine, sell chicks from those same parents the next year. Of course, that requires a lot of time, space, and expense, so not practical for most people.

Yeah you're right... Most people in my country say that it all depends on the rooster... if a rooster is pure black their chicks will aslo be black. But i won't know until i try. Can you ask any professional in your area? if your are ok with it. I will really really appreciate your help

Back
Top Bottom