WHAT WILL FIX PASTY BUTT???

Thanks everyone the info and ideas are helpful. We have week old chicks and the littlest one has poop stuck to its tail feathers. She can still poop though--I know bc she projectile pooped on me!! But I do want and need to remove the caked on poop. I've had ACV in the water from the beginning and she's definitely eating and drinking. I will try the ground oatmeal though and soaking to remove the poop. A cotton ball dipped in vegetable oil loosened one tiny piece of poop but not all. Same thing with a damp paper towel.

Question: once the poop is removed will fur/feathers regrow there? Her butt looks a bit naked with the matted poop feathers.

I want this to be the thread that will tell the best way to fix this bothersome problem. I have silkies and my chicks get it everytime. I have to soak their butts in warm water and clean it off and it gets anoying.
Who has the realk remedy? Ive read that you can put molasses in their water, then someone says no don't do that. I've heard yogert? I've heard grit.
Can someone Please tell me that has had the problem and fixed it give their secret out?
big_smile.png
big_smile.png
big_smile.png

Thanks, Jason
goodpost.gif
, crazyelk ,yes soak their butts, but at the first sign of pasty butt , use grounded up raw uncooked oatmeal , make it into a ground up mash like food. i put it in my blender to grind it up for the chicks and that should cure them, & they love it by the way so they will eat it , but also lots of clean brooder temp water first off, since just now in 2015 science has finally found pasty butt is from a chill to the chicks and it affects their intestines, maybe from shipping? they could catch a chill , but right out of the box & first off give lots of clean fresh brooder temp water & then ground up uncooked oat meal that should do the trick ,and warm water on the pasted up butt to keep it clean, we also use A & D ointment on & around the butt , its diaper rash stuff for babies & heals the skin, the dollar store has it for cheap, but if you dont have uncooked oatmeal , in a pinch try corn meal those both will help cure pasty butt right away , even over night , i have done this & the chicks were all better by next day...! o and i have found that the mash kind of chick starter feed they like a whole lot more ,then the crumbles kind of chick starter feed , so mine would just eat and eat and eat the chick starter meal & grew really fast..
jumpy.gif
clap.gif
thumbsup.gif
D.gif
well sooo im off to build a cooler in the hen house today here in AZ, take care all
thumbsup.gif
Dianna
frow.gif

Last edited:
Thanks everyone the info and ideas are helpful. We have week old chicks and the littlest one has poop stuck to its tail feathers. She can still poop though--I know bc she projectile pooped on me!! But I do want and need to remove the caked on poop. I've had ACV in the water from the beginning and she's definitely eating and drinking. I will try the ground oatmeal though and soaking to remove the poop. A cotton ball dipped in vegetable oil loosened one tiny piece of poop but not all. Same thing with a damp paper towel.

Question: once the poop is removed will fur/feathers regrow there? Her butt looks a bit naked with the matted poop feathers.
hi aimeecarter365 i dont see any reason ,she should not have feathers re grow , i would not worry, let us know if she is better good luck , kind regards Dianna
frow.gif

We are brand new at this and have 1 of our 4 with pasty butt for 2 days now. We have been trying to clean with a wet cloth but not much is happening. Tried to pull the plug initially but it seemed to hurt her too much, I have seen someone mention soaking, but how do you go about that and for how long? Should I put some grit in the pen? Even though they are so young?

I have a silkie chick that has had PB every day for the last week. I run the water to warm, like you would for a newborn baby's bath. I cup her in one hand, so she can't move, and hold her butt under the running water. With the other hand, I gently rub at her crusty area. It all dissolves or falls off after a few minutes. I wrap her in a scrap of cloth, and put my blow dryer on low heat, then holding it far away, so it doesn't get her overheated, I dry her until fluffy again. After she's dry, she goes back in the brooder, and I get to bleach my bathroom sink.... :)

Never pull it off, it can tear their skin, and then you have a whole new set of problems.

I'm going to try the oatmeal and butt clipping tonight when I get home.

I have a guinea keet that has had a severe problem with pasty butt. The started this issue at 2wks, and is now 4wks. I have quarantined the poor thing, warm baths, AVC and raw oatmeal. The pitiful baby, Doodles, hasn't grown since that second week, and has only gotten feathers on it's wings. Breastbone is becoming more prominent and has a couple days that it can't poo until bath time. There is no blood in there, but the gut gets very distended sometimes and the keet just smells like poo. If there is any poo that does come out, it just sticks. The crying of a little keet is simply pitiful!

I was thinking of tiring that myseldf since I have one chick who no matter what has pasty butt she eats drinks plays and poops but after two or three dropping it miss pasty butt again. Honestly think she does it do she can get me alone lol

Back
Top Bottom