What will I get if I breed a sizzle with silkies?

Oct 16, 2017
North Carolina
Hello! I'm a beginning breeder and will be breeding silkies for the first time this spring! We recently got some silkies pullets, along with a sizzle pullet. I was wondering what I would get if I bred her with one of my silkie cockerels once the pullet is old enough? I'm trying to learn more on genetics, but I would like to know what chick's I would likely get if I breed a sizzle with a full silkie? I'm expecting most of them to be normal silkies, with possibly a frizzled in the mix?

Do you have a pic of your sizzle and know what both her parents were?
Sizzles mean different things to different people so without knowing what genes she carries its hard to say.
If she is frizzled then you'd get about half and half frizzle and non frizzle chicks.
If she is also silkie feathered then all chicks would also be silkie feathered.
If she carries one copy for silkie feathers then about half would be silkie feathered and half wouldn't.
If she doesn't carry the silkie gene then none would have silkie feathers.

Here you go, along with one of the regular silkies with similar coloring for comparison. I did see most of the chicks parents, however he did not show us exactly which ones she Is from. I think I know what her frizzle parent was based off the chick's coloring and one of the frizzle adults we saw, but I have no idea about her parents. There were no adult silkies that had the same coloring as my chick. I don't know if it will help any, but he told us from breeding a frizzle to a silkie, he'll get abut 50% normal appearing silkies, 25% frizzled, and 25% sleek/satin.

Attachments

• 20190211_163315.jpg
    20190211_163315.jpg
    128.8 KB · Views: 41
  • 20190211_163614.jpg
    20190211_163614.jpg
    137.3 KB · Views: 41
Last edited:
Per this thread, a Sizzle is not a frizzled Silkie.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/sizzles-are-not-frizzled-silkies.286422/

But they most often are :)
If you bred your Sizzle to a Silkie, you would get chicks who are either Sizzle or Silkie. Or you may just get Frizzled Silkies if your sizzle does not express the Silkie gene.

Frizzle is dominant and Silkie is recessive. Therefore, a bird only needs one frizzle gene to express frizzling, but needs two silkie genes to express Silkie feathering.

Do you have a pic of your sizzle and know what both her parents were?
Sizzles mean different things to different people so without knowing what genes she carries its hard to say.
If she is frizzled then you'd get about half and half frizzle and non frizzle chicks.
If she is also silkie feathered then all chicks would also be silkie feathered.
If she carries one copy for silkie feathers then about half would be silkie feathered and half wouldn't.
If she doesn't carry the silkie gene then none would have silkie feathers.

Per this thread, a Sizzle is not a frizzled Silkie.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/sizzles-are-not-frizzled-silkies.286422/

But they most often are :)
If you bred your Sizzle to a Silkie, you would get chicks who are either Sizzle or Silkie. Or you may just get Frizzled Silkies if your sizzle does not express the Silkie gene.

Frizzle is dominant and Silkie is recessive. Therefore, a bird only needs one frizzle gene to express frizzling, but needs two silkie genes to express Silkie feathering.

Thanks!!
How many silkies would a frizzle sizzle if a frizzle could sizzle silkies?

Lol

Back
Top Bottom