What would be best for the chicks?

4hchickmama

Songster
7 Years
May 12, 2012
Alright...hoping to get some opinions as I have babies due to hatch very soon. I have a few options and I want opinions on what is best to do with them once they are hatched.

Option #1- Put with a broody hen. I have a very broody silkie out with 2 babies (1 week old) already, and I am sure she would accept some more, but I also have a silkie mix hen that has shown interest in the babies and I am sure would take some too. She isn't as broody as the other hen, who was plucking out feathers, trying to hatch rocks, and wouldn't eat or drink, but I'm certain she would take some chicks.

Option #2- I have a 40 gal long terrarium that was once used for a bearded dragon. Mesh top, heat lamp. It would easily and conveniently fit inside.

Option #3- An giant tub I used as a horse trough. It is quite large and deep. I have a large piece of hardware cloth that I can put on top with a heat lamp.

I have 7 viable eggs at this moment. Any suggestions or opinions would be appreciated. Thanks! This is our firsts incubator hatch and my daughters are VERY excited!

I feel option 1 is defiantly the best if you can get them to accept chicks. If not I'd probably go option 3.

Back
Top Bottom