What would do this to my hen? ***WARNING*** Graphic photo

roamingchick

Songster
6 Years
May 15, 2014
Steuben County NY
This is my barred rock hen, she was killed last night, I am thinking maybe it was a coon, Whatever it was pulled her head through chicken wire, and pulled off her featers and skin.
hit.gif
Anyone have a clue what would do this?

Was my step sons favorite hen, Its always the favorite we loose. :( She was our oldest too. We will miss her but thankfully she is the only on touched out of 26 birds.

Last edited:
This is my barred rock hen, she was killed last night, I am thinking maybe it was a coon, Whatever it was pulled her head through chicken wire, and pulled off her featers and skin.
hit.gif
Anyone have a clue what would do this?

That is classic owl or hawk damage. Fur bearing predators have sharp teeth, fangs, and molars that both cut with a scissors action as well as crush and grind bone. Therefor furbearing predators chew up and worry the corpse of their victims.

Raptors on the other hand snip strips of muscle tissue into using their sharp 'hawk' beaks, and while holding the victim down with their talons they pull or strip flesh off the body, leaving the bones undisturbed and fully articulated.

Last edited:
Aww poor thing! Something similar to this was happening to a few of my hens so I set out a trap and a trail camera and I got footage of a raccoon trying to break in and then I eventually caught it. Those little animals sure can cause a lot of destruction.

I'm sorry for your loss!
sad.png

Wouldn't a raccoon have chewed the head off? Snakes are the only thing I have seen pull heads through a fence, but that was chicks and the snake was stuck in the wire afterwards. Sorry to see you lose a good bird. :(

Last edited:
Can I block a member? This is my Personal messages....

chickenshadow9

Today at 11:19 am
I KNOW THAT WHAT HAPPENED WAS NOT A RACCOON I KNOW WHAT IT REALLY WAS SEND ME A MSG AND I WILL INFORM YOU ON WHAT REALLY HAPPENED TO YOUR CHICKEN

roamingchick

Today at 11:24 am
What happen to my chicken

chickenshadow9

Today at 11:24 am
I KILLED IT

chickenshadow9

Today at 11:26 am
I WILL COME FOR THE REST AT 8:30 TONIGHT SO SAY GOODBYE

You are welcome. I also did some checking on the internet. Apparently a raccoon could have reached in and grabbed your hen. Can you set a live trap and see what you catch?

You are welcome. I also did some checking on the internet. Apparently a raccoon could have reached in and grabbed your hen. Can you set a live trap and see what you catch?

I can & will set a live trap, I was thinking coon at first, but I have never seen one stripped like this, with head still intact.

I haven't either. I suppose it could have happened during the struggle and maybe the coon was scared off before eating. I have never dealt with a racoon that didn't come back until it was stopped, or ran out of chickens to kill. Good luck and keep us posted!

Back
Top Bottom