What would you do? Chicken dilemma ):

You could downsize or, look into keeping their current coop and building a movable run that you can move around the property while keeping the girls contained as well as one that does double duty by attaching to their current coop on those days you're unable to move them around. A hoop coop comes to mind.

Thanks for the feedback! The only issue with a chicken tractor or hoop coop is that our land is basically one big hill. Where the chickens are situated right now is about the only level surface in on our entire property. So, I'm not sure if that would work. Also, don't get me wrong we are good friends with our neighbor but he has just made it clear, in a nice way, that when he starts growing grass this season he doesn't want the chickens eating up his seed or scratching his yard. Which is very understandable! Not to be rude @IdyllwildAcres but saying "The choice seems clear to me, pen them up or get rid of them." is not a choice....it's just restating my current two options.

Thanks for the feedback! The only issue with a chicken tractor or hoop coop is that our land is basically one big hill. Where the chickens are situated right now is about the only level surface in on our entire property. So, I'm not sure if that would work. Also, don't get me wrong we are good friends with our neighbor but he has just made it clear, in a nice way, that when he starts growing grass this season he doesn't want the chickens eating up his seed or scratching his yard. Which is very understandable! Not to be rude @IdyllwildAcres but saying "The choice seems clear to me, pen them up or get rid of them." is not a choice....it's just restating my current two options.

Well its a decision only you can make. Good luck.

Gary

Must. Finish. Coop.

How many options we up to so far? If not already taken I'll offer Option E........E for Electric.

Somewhere between letting them roam free to go where they want and confined to a run of 10' x 10' is the expanded yard. Not free range, but not close quarters confined. The term is "Yarded".

That means a fence of some type and some may tire of me saying it, but an electric fence works. My birds have a Woods house, but do not have a run. If and when I let them out, which is almost daily, they are free to roam about inside a perimeter I have established and one large part of the is bounded by nothing but an electric fence.

They don't go outside of it and predators don't come in. In short, you pretty much confine them to where you want them. The main threat from that is raptors......hawks, owls and such. Give them a place to hide and even that threat is diminished.

So my vote is to keep them, but confine them into an area where you, neighbors and that boy/guy/friend can live with.

As a new chicken owner of 3 hens in a residential area that I must have our girls in an enclosed structure, here is what I suggest...Keep all that you can reasonably and comfortably confine, it is worth it. I understand the desire to keep your pets, we wanted backyard chickens very badly so we built the best 10x12 enclosed run with their coop inside. We make it a point each day if the weather allows regardless of temperature to go outside and let the girls out in the yard. It has become their routine, usually every day about 4pm I find them waiting at the run door for me to open, they get out, flap their wings, scratch, range, play, and seem perfectly content with the limited "free" time they are given under supervision. On the weekends or nicer days, they are out longer and appear to love it. If you want to keep them around which it clearly sounds like you do, I would figure out whatever means possible to do that while keeping the neighbor and your husband happy with the new arrangement. Good luck!

Good news, everyone! I am keeping all 7 of my girls (and have plenty of room for more in the future)! We got a great deal on a coop and run and will simply expand our current run to total 10x16. I attached some pictures of the before and after of the coop we bought. New roof, coat of paint and some additonal wood for structural soundness. Thanks for the inspiration to not give up on my girls!
1f60a.png

Last edited:
Enjoy touching up your new coop. Good to read you found a solution that works for all parties including your chickens. Your neighbour will be happy to see the effort you have gone to.
We all spend a little too much money and/or energy on something that gives us pleasure, even the most thrifty of us! For some its finding the perfect shoes for others its keeping happy chickens, personally I fail in the shoe department and always go to the discount bin, now as to my animals.... it's a different story.
tongue.png

Negativity not necessary! Like I said, the money is not the issue. I just mentioned it in my orginal post because I wouldn't want to spend that much money if that wasn't the right choice in general. However, with everyone's reassurance and research I realized that a 10x16 run of 160 sq. ft. is more than double the "requirement" for my girls and, with the additions I will be adding, will be just fine. I appreciate the feedback about ventilation. I actually spent some time in there while we were installing the roof and I felt that the space under the roof and small spaces between each slat of wood (which you can't really see in the picture) provided ventilation, but I will consider replacing some upper boards with hardware cloth.

That's a good decision. Sit inside that coop on your hottest day this summer and see how you feel about the ventilation then....everything is different in the summer time and it takes awhile for that coop to cool down at night after baking all day under a metal roof.

Back
Top Bottom