What would you do? Chicken dilemma ):

PitbullandChix

In the Brooder
Jun 6, 2016
Middle Tennessee
I have a dilemma and I've been going back and forth for days now trying to make a decision. Here's the situation: I currently live on a 1/2 acre and free-range my chickens every day. I love my chickens. However, they are becoming a bit of a nuisance for my neighbor. Also, my boyfriend (who owns our house, does all the maintenance and pays most of the bills) is not a fan of the chickens. He doesn't like the fact that they poop everywhere (our porch, etc.) and "tear up the yard, gardens and around the foundation of the house" (to dust bathe). So, I'm faced with two options:

Option 1: Upgrade their coop and run, where they will be confined.

I need to upgrade for both convenience and functionality. The convenience part is for me as I work 3 jobs and a few changes here and there would be a big help. The functionality part is because I jumped right in to owning chickens one year ago with little knowledge of their needs. So, I've done my research and this is what I'm looking at as far as upgrades go financially:

- New coop: $200 (I know this seems low, but this is being sold by someone I know)
- 10 x10 Run: $230
- Roof for the run: $120
- Automatic pop door: $150(+)
- New Feeder: $85

Total: $785 (at the minimum, before the little things here and there that I would add to the run such as dust bath area, perches, swings etc. to make it more "fun" for my girls). Ultimately, the money is not much of an issue. The issue is the better decision, for my girls, between the two options.

Option 2: Sell the chickens to my boyfriend's friend who owns a farm, many acres and will continue to free range them.

In summary, I'm faced with the dilemma of confining my 7 girls to a coop and 10 x 10 run (that ends up being just a dirt patch in dry weather and mud pit in wet weather) for my own selfish reasons OR give them away. I love my chickens and I don't want to give them up AT ALL. I am a firm believer in "pets are for life." However, I want to do right by the chickens and I want them to have a good, enriching life. To some, it may seem like a simple, obvious decision but I consider my chickens my pets. I enjoy watching them, they are like my little hobby and they make my already good life just a little bit better. So, what would you do?

Tough choices. When you ask 'what would you do?' -- if you are talking to a chicken addict, then yep, of course keep the chickens.

I have 10x10 roofed chainlink runs, and yes they are dusty in dry weather and muddy in wet weather. The chickens love it. And the poop on the walk and steps and porch is a thing of the long ago past.

What about giving some to the farm friend and keeping 3 for yourself. Fewer chickens, less feed, less poop for the compost pile, a bit less work, and you would have a closer relationship to the chickens that you keep. You would still get to enjoy them and you would still have fresh eggs at arms reach.

Although chickens love to free range, it isn't an absolute requirement for their well being, and it is ALWAYS a risk from predators. With just a few, you could also (if you ever have any leisure with those three jobs) occasionally let them out to free range under your supervision - right before bed time from time to time -- so that they could be supervised, and herded away from porches and walkways and pretty easy to get back into the coop at dusk with a little scratch thrown in.

Good luck with your choice.

Last edited:
You might also consider chicken husbandry at the farm they'd be going to. Free range is not always better on principle if being eaten by predators, picking up lice/mites, being overbred by overzealous roosters, etc. is going to be a factor. If it was me, I'd probably downsize and then build some chicken tunnels or a tractor to keep them contained somewhat.

I used to let my chickens "free range" my yard (10K sq ft fenced property, in a residential area) but the last batch really tore up my yard
sad.png
So I came up with this idea for an enclosure, we do get alot of rain. It's 8x12, screened with chicken wire as we don't have the heavy predator problem as you all do, wrapped with shower curtains using EMT for rods. Using the DLM, using cheap 2 x 4 lumber ($2.57/per) is all we used, stacking one on top of the other (screwing/nailing), metal roofing & paint. I now have 5 hens and don't feel "guilty" of keeping them in, they're SAFE and my yard's not being torn up. It's been a year and works great....

Understand your dilemma.....After the last batch of chickens tore up my yard, sold them and thought I wouldn't get anymore, yea right
big_smile.png
No idea what prices are like there but this set up was simple and cheap (for us). Good luck.

Poop board/trap above the "nest box" is removable

Plastic dog house for "nest box", I have a dust bath under it but they don't use it.

It's functional & cheap! My yard is in tack & I don't feel so "guilty" not letting them free range.

I would go with option 1. Since you clearly want to keep your chickens (and good for you for wanting to do what's right for them) and they don't NEED to free range, there's really no reason not to keep them confined in a run, and 10x10 is certainly adequate for 7 birds, especially if you throw in some "fun" things for them to do, like a swing or branches to perch on and browse to pick through.

I don't feel bad at all about keeping my flock contained in a run and the few times they've gotten out, they've stayed by the run fence and waited to put them back in. Like your BF I don't want poop everywhere, and your neighbor is being reasonable in their request, so no reason not to comply.

That box needs some serious ventilation....like a few big windows cut into the sides. Light and air will go a long way towards keeping the birds healthier in their confinement. I would have went with option 2....no 7 chickens are worth nearly $800. You could have made a deal with the farmer about getting some eggs each week and the birds would have lived a freer existence.

That box needs some serious ventilation....like a few big windows cut into the sides. Light and air will go a long way towards keeping the birds healthier in their confinement. I would have went with option 2....no 7 chickens are worth nearly $800.

I'd have to disagree... I think it's up to each person to decide what's reasonable for their flock. I've already spent over $2k in fencing for just 4 chickens so $800 seems like a deal to me!

I do think some ventilation in the coop will go a long way. It looks nicely fixed up but if you replace some of the boards with welded wire or hardware cloth it'll be a healthier environment for the birds.

Negativity not necessary! Like I said, the money is not the issue. I just mentioned it in my orginal post because I wouldn't want to spend that much money if that wasn't the right choice in general. However, with everyone's reassurance and research I realized that a 10x16 run of 160 sq. ft. is more than double the "requirement" for my girls and, with the additions I will be adding, will be just fine. I appreciate the feedback about ventilation. I actually spent some time in there while we were installing the roof and I felt that the space under the roof and small spaces between each slat of wood (which you can't really see in the picture) provided ventilation, but I will consider replacing some upper boards with hardware cloth.

Just for reference, this is me sitting inside the coop, with all the doors closed, with my dog. You can see the space in between the wood for ventilation and how bright it is in here. It's a breezy day where I live and I can feel it blowing through. I think we'll be ok! If I feel like it's a problem once they move in, I'll add a turbine vent to the roof :)

Back
Top Bottom