Cabbage!!! My chickens LOVE cabbage, and it can be grown before and after the general growing season because it is so cold hardy. The head itself makes a great “teatherball” type toy if you thread it and hang it in the run, but the large paddle leaves that spread out and help the plant gather sun are great as well! I hang them up in the run by their stems.

I also didn’t see broccoli or Brussel sprouts on your list. They are super cold hardy as well, but I usually opt to grow one or two plants of each through the summer, as they are aphid magnets. Once the plant is overrun, I cut it at ground level and take the whole thing up to the chickens. They probably won’t eat the heavy stalk, but they’ll eat everything else(leaves, florets, AND APHIDS). They don’t even care if they’ve bolted from summer heat. They eat the flowers right up too.
I have had a lot of cabbage looper moths/caterpillars where I am (zone 5, west of Saint Louis Missouri). A friend suggested to go ahead and plant cabbage, and, as soon as I see the loopers, let the chickens loose on the patch. She says she did that for two years and can now grow cabbage without loopers.

Does anyone else think that would work? I am willing to try...I love cabbage, especially cooked with apples (it's my Germanic side!) And as sauerkraut.

I have had a lot of cabbage looper moths/caterpillars where I am (zone 5, west of Saint Louis Missouri). A friend suggested to go ahead and plant cabbage, and, as soon as I see the loopers, let the chickens loose on the patch. She says she did that for two years and can now grow cabbage without loopers.

Does anyone else think that would work? I am willing to try...I love cabbage, especially cooked with apples (it's my Germanic side!) And as sauerkraut.
It’s worth a try! I’m in zone 5(b) as well, at 3000 feet elevation in central WA. The elevation saves us from quite a few pests, but aphids and leaf miners are still a problem. I do most of my bug control with beneficial insects like ladybugs and lacewings, because my pests are teeny.

I’m going to try bringing chickens to the garden on “field trips” later in the season this year, as late summer tends to bring grasshoppers. Then, I’m hoping the veggies will be well established enough to handle a few nibbles from the egg brigade

We currently have chickens (8), turkeys (2), ducks (4) and quail (lots!). Although it's the dead of winter here in Illinois this time of year, Spring is not very far off. We will be prepping the garden in late March and starting to plant in mid/late April. We like to grow all sorts of vegetables, leafy greens and herbs. If I can keep the weeds down this year, we could be eating form the garden from late Summer to the start of winter, and possible longer if we have a surplus to can or freeze for the winter months. After all, our garden is ~1000 sqft (and I may decide to move the fence and till over more soil this year...). While the garden will hopefully feed us well, we'd like it to also supplement the feed for our poultry friends this year. What should we plant in the garden that chickens can eat?

So far here's the list of likely plants for the garden this year [and my thoughts on whether or not each is chicken friendly]:

Root vegetables:
- potatoes (2-3 varieties) [not for chickens]
- carrots [CHICKEN FRIENDLY]

Vegetables
- tomatoes (3-4 varieties) [not for chickens] I know they're fruit...
- hot peppers (2-3 varieties) [CHICKEN FRIENDLY]
- sweet peppers [CHICKEN FRIENDLY]
- sweet corn [CHICKEN FRIENDLY]
- pumpkins [CHICKEN FRIENDLY]
- zucchini [CHICKEN FRIENDLY]
- yellow squash [CHICKEN FRIENDLY]
- cucumbers (pickle and salad varieties) [CHICKEN FRIENDLY]
- winter squash (mixed variety) [CHICKEN FRIENDLY]
- cauliflower [CHICKEN FRIENDLY]

Leafy Greens and Herbs
- lettuce (2-3 varieties) [CHICKEN FRIENDLY]
- spinach [CHICKEN FRIENDLY]
- kale [CHICKEN FRIENDLY]
- parsley [CHICKEN FRIENDLY]
- oregano [CHICKEN FRIENDLY]
- basil [CHICKEN FRIENDLY]
- thyme [CHICKEN FRIENDLY]
- rosemary [CHICKEN FRIENDLY]
- dill [CHICKEN FRIENDLY]

Most of what we intend to plant is safe for the chickens to eat. I'm wonder though, what plants are beneficial and should be added? It wouldn't hurt to have healthier, happier chickens. Please share your thoughts and opinions.
I actually feed mine tomatoes (well, I don’t feed them to them, they just kinda raid my garden for them), and they love them. There is a lot of controversy over whether or not tomatoes are safe for chickens or not, but my chickens seem to have no problem with them.

There is a lot of controversy over whether or not tomatoes are safe for chickens or not
It seems pretty clear to me: tomato fruit is safe, tomato plant (green leaves) is not safe.

I've always thought tomato and potato were on the "do not feed" lists because people are either lazy or have trouble with comprehension: they see that part of the plant is toxic, and decide to list the whole thing as toxic instead of stating which parts. Chickens can safely eat the same parts we do for tomatoes & potatoes.

Ah, this thread popped back up. Yeah! Thanks @NatJ for posting today and breathing some life back into this one just as I start my garden planning.

A question for anybody willing to answer: what's the best (most prolific, heat and frost hardy, and nutritional) plant/s for grazing frames in the run?

Sorry for scientific mumbo jumbo, but just a short introduction. I was researching plants with antiseptic properties the other day and put together this list based on the antibacterial properties of oregano which have been proven extensively. Basically oregano has some components which have been isolated and proven to be naturally effective against several common bacterias that are everywhere, like staph, e coli, and several others have been studied. This list of plants also have the same chemicals as the oregano plant that have been shown to be anti fungal, antibacterial, and antiseptic.

Now I think they would make wonderful additions to gardens. One many of them are flowering plants and would look beautiful. Many of them also are already in peoples gardens so I would love to hear feedback if people have good or bad experiences with any of them on the list. Also they may attract bees and beneficial insects, that part can be studied further as well.

List of plants that contain aromatic and natural antiseptics chemicals

Thymol
Found in:
Illicium verum (Star Anise)
Euphrasia rostkoviana (Eyebright)
Lagoecia cuminoides (wild cumin)
Monarda didyma (crimson beebalm)
Monarda fistulosa (wild bergamot)
Mosla chinensis, Xiang Ru
Origanum compactum (oregano)
Origanum dictamnus (dittany of Crete)
Origanum onites (crete oregano)
Origanum vulgare (oregano)
Satureja thymbra (savory of crete)
Thymus glandulosus
Thymus hyemalis (thyme lemon)
Thymus vulgaris
Thymus zygis
Trachyspermum ammi (ajwain)

Carvacrol
Found in:
Nigella sativa
Origanum dictamnus (dittany of crete)
Origanum microphyllum
Origanum onites
Origanum scabrum
Origanum syriacum
Origanum vulgare
Plectranthus amboinicus (lour)
Thymus glandulosus
Lavandula multifida (egyptian lavender)
Origanum minutiflorum
Satureja thymbra

trans-caryophyllene
Found in:
Basil
Black Caraway
Black Pepper
Cinnamon
Cloves
Hops
Oregano
Ylang Ylang

α-humulene
pine trees
orange orchards
marsh elders
tobacco
sunflower
Salvia officinalis (sage)
Lindera strychnifolia Uyaku (japanese spicebush)
Ginseng
Mentha spicata
Zingiberaceae (ginger)
Litsea mushaensis (Chinese laurel)
Cordia verbenacea
erva baleeira
Persicaria odorata (vietnamese coriander)
Cannabis

Thanks for any feedback on any of these plants worthiness in the gardens or if your chickens enjoy the leaves. Personally my garden is abysmal because i have so many chickens and ducks they have destroyed it.

Sorry for scientific mumbo jumbo, but just a short introduction. I was researching plants with antiseptic properties the other day and put together this list based on the antibacterial properties of oregano which have been proven extensively. Basically oregano has some components which have been isolated and proven to be naturally effective against several common bacterias that are everywhere, like staph, e coli, and several others have been studied. This list of plants also have the same chemicals as the oregano plant that have been shown to be anti fungal, antibacterial, and antiseptic.

Now I think they would make wonderful additions to gardens. One many of them are flowering plants and would look beautiful. Many of them also are already in peoples gardens so I would love to hear feedback if people have good or bad experiences with any of them on the list. Also they may attract bees and beneficial insects, that part can be studied further as well.

Thymol
Found in:
Thymus glandulosus
Thymus vulgaris
Thymus zygis

Carvacrol
Found in:
Nigella sativa
Origanum microphyllum
Origanum onites
Origanum scabrum
Origanum syriacum
Origanum vulgare
Thymus glandulosus
Origanum minutiflorum
Satureja thymbra

trans-caryophyllene
Found in:
Basil
Black Caraway
Black Pepper
Cinnamon
Cloves
Hops
Oregano
Ylang Ylang

α-humulene
pine trees
orange orchards
marsh elders
tobacco
sunflower
Ginseng
Mentha spicata
Zingiberaceae (ginger)
Cordia verbenacea
erva baleeira
Cannabis

Thanks for any feedback on any of these plants worthiness in the gardens or if your chickens enjoy the leaves. Personally my garden is abysmal because i have so many chickens and ducks they have destroyed it.
Interesting list
Not sure I wasn't to feed cannabis to my chickens 🤣, but many of these pants are flowers and herbs that would fit nicely into the garden.

Interesting list
Not sure I wasn't to feed cannabis to my chickens 🤣, but many of these pants are flowers and herbs that would fit nicely into the garden.
Yes cannabis is a funny one but I wonder if a chicken might nibble on the leaves a little? I google searched and there are farmers that swear by it as excellent feed. I believe it, although that part of the list is plants that have aromatic properties. The list of plants also includes fermented grapes (wine), hops (beer), aguave (tequila), tobacco. So a cigar smoking, tequila drinking chicken is healthiest.

Thymol
Found in:
Thymus glandulosus
Thymus vulgaris
Thymus zygis

Carvacrol
Found in:
Nigella sativa
Origanum microphyllum
Origanum onites
Origanum scabrum
Origanum syriacum
Origanum vulgare
Thymus glandulosus
Origanum minutiflorum
Satureja thymbra

trans-caryophyllene
Found in:
Basil
Black Caraway
Black Pepper
Cinnamon
Cloves
Hops
Oregano
Ylang Ylang

α-humulene
pine trees
orange orchards
marsh elders
tobacco
sunflower
Ginseng
Mentha spicata
Zingiberaceae (ginger)
Cordia verbenacea
erva baleeira
Cannabis

From your list I grow thyme, 2 varieties of oregano, 4 different mints, the bee balm, bay laurel, ginger, turmeric, lavender, tobacco and sunflowers. Chickens have never shown any interest in any of them. They choose to devastate my mustard greens and chard instead! I do however dress their greens every morning with a thyme vinaigrette for the health benefits and they gobble those right up. The nesting box mix I make has a lot of lavender, oregano and mint in it, among other things that are supposed to repel bugs. Not sure if the chickens enjoy it or not, but it sure makes the coop smell prettier.( when they're not pooping , lol) Can't speak to the efficacy of the herbs, only that my oldest girls are 8 now and have never been sick or had bugs. Knock on wood when I say that!

From your list I grow thyme, 2 varieties of oregano, 4 different mints, the bee balm, bay laurel, ginger, turmeric, lavender, tobacco and sunflowers. Chickens have never shown any interest in any of them. They choose to devastate my mustard greens and chard instead! I do however dress their greens every morning with a thyme vinaigrette for the health benefits and they gobble those right up. The nesting box mix I make has a lot of lavender, oregano and mint in it, among other things that are supposed to repel bugs. Not sure if the chickens enjoy it or not, but it sure makes the coop smell prettier.( when they're not pooping , lol) Can't speak to the efficacy of the herbs, only that my oldest girls are 8 now and have never been sick or had bugs. Knock on wood when I say that!

Thanks for the reply, what amazing plants you have. Even though you dont see them eat the plants, they still have beneficial properties. Like when it rains for example, and the chickens drink the rainwater off the leaves or small puddles that contains dried leaves, they are actually drinking tea. I try to keep little water dishes around places where beneficial leaves soak after the rain.

Back
Top Bottom