WHAT YA GOT SWAP Chat Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello I have a question dark Cornish eggs are also up for swap.. And my question is do they grow at the same rate of Cornish x? I was concidering the dark Cornish to replace Cornishx in my uberbird programe

Not my birds but no. Cornish x are all weird genetic mixes that are all secret mixes.

Cornish x usually can't breed however. Or a very few can.

Dark cornish take approximately 7 months to grow out. Cornish x can be bred. Never had a roo live past 6 months, but the hens were great layers and foragers and certainly did breed. They were covered by leghorns, so the chicks were about 50/50 "normal"/fast growth rate. Fertility was lower in their eggs, presumably because it was harder to connect.

Dark cornish take approximately 7 months to grow out. Cornish x can be bred. Never had a roo live past 6 months, but the hens were great layers and foragers and certainly did breed. They were covered by leghorns, so the chicks were about 50/50 "normal"/fast growth rate. Fertility was lower in their eggs, presumably because it was harder to connect.

When you crossed the Cornishx with leghorns did they live longer(have better health) there's a few people on another thread that say they get them to live longer by feeding them on a strict schedule or letting them forage with there other free roaming chickens

Restricting their feed in their diet and allowing them to forage with the rest of the flock helps keep Cornish X hens from becoming obese. To accomplish this, I fed my laying hens on a table that they had to fly up on. The Cornish X hens were fed once a day in a feeder that was under the table. I was breeding them to a barred rock rooster. The resulting chicks were white feathered and grew surprisingly quickly.

I was wanting to get apa or show quality jersey giants, Rhode Island reds and cross them with Cornishx and try to get a multi-purpose hyper bird that was good at egg laying, was a giant and grew quickly but healthily
Maybe I should use a barred rock instead of Cornish x?

Last edited:
I think if you used a Rhodes island red rooster of a Cornish X hen you would probably get sex-linked chicks at hatch. Which would be handy if you were selling meat chicks. Customers would probably want male chicks because they would grow faster.

I only used barred rock rooster because he was the only large fowl rooster that I had at the time. Any large fowl rooster would probably work.

I'm not doing it solely for meat birds or to make a quick buck I'd like to creat a new breed eventually out of the three
I'd like to see another true giant chicken that also lays very well and if they could also grow quickly it would be nice

Last edited:
Cornish X can be bred, they just won't breed 'true'.

I'm not disagreeing with you here on the hens :). But it does take someone who has space and time to keep them alive to do that. Most new people can't do it. And most (not all ) people on small lots can't do it.

They need to run! I remember you jogging your turkeys betta! ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom