Whats popular in Muscovy?

Quote:
There are three kinds of muscovies. Wild ones from South America, back yard hybrids and show type muscovies. I am a judge and I will not place a muscovy that is caruncled so heavily that it cannot see well. Most of the smooth faced muscovies are on the small side as well. They make great pets though. I am not posting to get into a debate, but the color you call blue fawn is not blue fawn. It has way too much white to be any recognized color.

Walt

She is no more hybred then the whites. She laid and hatched clutches for me. Why do you say she looks hybred? just curious I have never heard anyone say that about her, any of my ducks or the blue fawns befor

Quote:
There are three kinds of muscovies. Wild ones from South America, back yard hybrids and show type muscovies. I am a judge and I will not place a muscovy that is caruncled so heavily that it cannot see well. Most of the smooth faced muscovies are on the small side as well. They make great pets though. I am not posting to get into a debate, but the color you call blue fawn is not blue fawn. It has way too much white to be any recognized color.

Walt

What makes a hybrid? does that mean it's not a true Muscovy?

Quote:
I am saying that she is a hybrid because most people think I'm a waterfowl expert. I have raised Muscovies for over 45 years. I don't have any problem looking at ducks and knowing what they really are.

Walt

I agree that pieds are not recognized.. however any color with pied.. is that color.. just with white.. if she was solid, she would be a blue fawn.. so doesn't that make her a blue fawn ... pied?

Quote:

Walt

What makes a hybrid? does that mean it's not a true Muscovy?

That particular duck has something besides Muscovy in it. Generally they are sterile on the first mix, but not always and somewhere down the line and it may have been years ago, that strain was mixed with something else.

Walt

Other then the fact your an expert.. what makes you think she is a hybred? Hybreds or mules are not fertile.. and this one is.. I also own her parents and they were obviously fertile.. so.. again.. what drew you to that conclusion?

Because all wild Muscovy are black, and all Muscovy are not black, it would make sence that any non black Muscovy has had influence of other breeds. There are no white, or blue or chocolate Muscovy in the wild either, so somewhere along the line, I agree that any colored Muscovy would yes.. have been crossed somewhere.

Quote:
Did you read my previous post? I said usually they are infertile, but they are not always infertile. muscovies are technically not ducks, so mixes are USUALLY infertile. I also indicated that it probably happened way back before you got them.

Walt

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom