Whats popular in Muscovy?

yes, but we know from history that the French did integrate Pekin into the famous french line of Meat type Muscovy. This is more then likely where the majority of white Muscovy most of us own come from.

Just so we can all learn from your expert eye.. what about that bird.. what points of the bird, cause you to state she comes from Hybred lines?

Quote:
I don't know what the French did...people have been hybridizing muscovies for years. I have never heard of Pekins being used to create Muscovies , but I don't know. I only talk on this board about things I know.

Walt

Quote:
I don't know what the French did...people have been hybridizing muscovies for years. I have never heard of Pekins being used to create Muscovies , but I don't know. I only talk on this board about things I know.

Walt

I found an article on the French meat Muscovy years ago and it talked about how back in the ( I think 1800s?) don't quote me on the date, that the birds were interbred for meat size and quality.

Quote:

Walt

I found an article on the French meat Muscovy years ago and it talked about how back in the ( I think 1800s?) don't quote me on the date, that the birds were interbred for meat size and quality.

That could well be. The European Pekins are huge birds. Didn't hear about that though. Interesting.

Walt

I would assume, and of course this is an assumption based on basic genetics, that given the black (blue, Lavender, silver etc) and brown, (chocolate, fawn, cream etc) base and dilutions there of, that do not exist commonly in nature, where of course all of our Muscovy originated, that any bird has a good chance of being inter bred with other breeds some where along the line of the thousands of years they have lived in domestication. They don't have the tight genetic string that dogs for example do. Thus the colors are more likely created by cross breeding, then due to selection. One can argue that mutations have occurred over the very long domestic history of the Muscovy, as we know they have, however it is more likely that since they are ducks (of sorts), and since they were owned in respect by farmers that probably did not segregate flocks, some if not allot of hybridization has occurred over hundreds of years if not more.
We do know that the Comb duck was instrumental in the modern Muscovy, which also leads to the question, why doesn't comb duck traits occasionally appear? Do some of the mutations go back to this cross?

Quote:
She does not have a Muscovy head..and the general shape of the bird.

Walt

Yes,

When you look at the type of a wild Muscovy they are near the same type wise ,just smaller, then Show Muscovies. Birds I see today as backyard pets, have a off head and off type for either one. Most people once they see a Show Muscovy want them rather then backyard 'farm type'.

Last edited:
Quote:
I have never heard of breeding Muscovies to comb ducks. But think about this, What is in a comb duck that people would want in a Muscovy? Nothing. I do see breeding them with Pekins to get size, which I have heard as well that they are usually sterile, but sometime (Rarely) You can get one that is fertile. I would more so see breeding Pekins to improve Muscovies then a Comb duck.

Back
Top Bottom