Whats the weirdest thing your chickens have eaten or tried to eat??

...not that what i fed them was weird... but i made a fruit and yogurt bomb... my BH gave me such a look when i told him it's not for us... it's for the gang, he looked so sad i made him one too... thick slice of watermelon, topped with plain yogurt and big fat blueberries, raspberries, blackberries and strawberries (stawberry tops with a nice bit of fruit left on for the birds). the gangs portion also had a nice handful of millet sprinkled on top.
so, according to my BH, I am the weirdest one feeding the chickens...

This morning when I was cleaning out the coop my husband comes out as he was leaving for the gym and shouted to me "Hey the red one (teddy, he can't remember their names) has a bird!" I am thinking a bird, did she get one of my 10 week olds??? So I ask "A bird?" and so the converstation goes on and I tell him get it away from her, oh gross....he goes after her and of course she isn't going to let it go so off she goes across the yard carrying the remains of a small bird (I don't thimk he was trying too hard to get her either!). Then another one see she has something and the chase begins that was funny. But the dead bird was gross, I yelled at my husband why didn't you get it...she ran away he said, like you couldn't chase her and corner her. No way could I go after her with bird parts hanging out of her mouth, It makes me want to gag just writing this. So off she goes and in a few swallows the bird is gone! My husband says "Remind me not to eat any of her eggs for a while!" Well guess who will be eating those eggs!! haha We still don't know if she got it or it was already dead. I didn't see a dead bird in the area where she started eating it but it was early and I may have missed it. Maybe that's why I'm not seeing anymore chipmunks?

that is hilarious! my chicken killed a mole but never ATE one! WOW
lau.gif
Moles must not taste good. Cats will kill them, but also not eat them.

I had about a half dozen donut holes left over from a meeting a week ago (choc with multi-colored sprinkles).
Knowing how much the chooks like bread and such I though these would be a big hit.
They were TERRIFIED of the rolling food. BUT once they realized that itty,bitty bits of colored stuff was falling off of them, they began a rowdy game of donut soccer. As far as I know, they never did eat the holes, but picked them clean of sprinkles.

Everytime we herd the chickens past the grape arbor I have one hen who simply MUST eat some of the white peeling paint.We have gotten good at getting her past it without her evening snack.

Quote:
My buff orp likes to eat peeling paint too, when I am in the house I'll hear this noise and when I go out it is her pecking at the lattice that covers the opening to an access area under the porch! I need to replace it since it probably has lead paint YIKES!

Back
Top Bottom