What's with your user name? And what about that avatar?

I was proposed to on the massive rock formation right across from the Queen Bee Mill in 1967! Back then Falls Park wasn't what it is today with all the walkways, the trees, the overlooks and such.....it was a pretty scary place most of the time but still it's my very favorite place in the universe!! Every time I get back there it's the first place I want to go with a bucket of chislic, a cold beer and my hubby by my side.

Hubby, my oldest granddaughter Little Diane, and granddaughter Katie on a trip back a couple of years ago.

Hennible, this is a great idea for a topic! I have had so much fun reading it!!! My name comes from the county I grew up in, It means "curling water" in Native American language. Here is the curling water at the Falls, located on the Sioux river, in Sioux falls, S.D. I swam here all the time when i was a kid, and feel fairly lucky to be still alive. They no longer allow swimming here, for obvious reasons. The building on the opposite side of the river's edge was the first electric company in the town, it was built and operated by my great grandpa. There is a statue of him in the downtown area as one of the town founders. My avatar is a picture of my favorite chicken whom lays black and white velvet eggs.
So I zoom in on the picture and I realize it's a cat.... And then it clicks... :lau Now I just have to get everyone else on the forum to explain their name... :D

I zoomed in on the pic too! Hope you don't eat those velvet eggs Minnehaha!
ep.gif

What a wonderful story Blooie!!!!

You are right, it was not the same in the 60's, they cleaned it up nice and kicked out all the drunks! You don't see kids swimming and climbing the rocks anymore either. And you never wanted to be there after dark!!!!!! I actually stumbled upon a dead man up by the railroad tracks as a kid while hiking and exploring, Scared the weebie jeebies out of me!!!

I caught my first fish here as well, a bullhead! LOL No fishing allowed these days!

I'll bet you were surprised to see my post. We both have some serious history there! Your pictures are lovely!!!!

Are you from Sioux Falls or Wyoming?

You are right, it was not the same in the 60's, they cleaned it up nice and kicked out all the drunks!  You don't see kids swimming and climbing the rocks anymore either. And you never wanted to be there after dark!!!!!!  I actually stumbled upon a dead man up by the railroad tracks as a kid while hiking and exploring,  Scared the weebie jeebies out of me!!!

I caught my first fish here as well, a bullhead!  LOL  No fishing allowed these days!

I'll bet you were surprised to see my post.  We both have some serious history there!  Your pictures are lovely!!!!

Is this another twilight zone connection?

Yes, he is my most beloved lovely chicken and those velvet eggs are MM MM  Good......:lau

Good to know about those eggs, I have 8 velvet egg layers in a range of colours.... Glad they don't lay daily... Sometimes I find eggs on my bed :sick

You are right, it was not the same in the 60's, they cleaned it up nice and kicked out all the drunks! You don't see kids swimming and climbing the rocks anymore either. And you never wanted to be there after dark!!!!!! I actually stumbled upon a dead man up by the railroad tracks as a kid while hiking and exploring, Scared the weebie jeebies out of me!!!

I caught my first fish here as well, a bullhead! LOL No fishing allowed these days!

I'll bet you were surprised to see my post. We both have some serious history there! Your pictures are lovely!!!!

I was raised in Sioux Falls and much of my family is still there. After I married Ken we spent the next 26 years as a Navy family. We retired back to SF but Ken missed his mountains. He's Wyoming born and raised. Well, I figured that for 26 years I'd packed up so I could be with him and why should retirement be any different? We get back a few times a year, the last time for my granddaughter's wedding in September.

When I saw your post about your great-grandfather's statue the first thought that popped into my head was, "So, your great-great grandfather was David?" But I didn't think you'd appreciate the humor so I refrained. See how well I refrained?
duc.gif

Anyway, when you get a chance head out and have some chislic and that ice cold beer for me.....I make it here at home but it doesn't taste as good as when I'm gathered with all of my sisters, my brother, and their kids and my granddaughter! It's my very favorite snack, except that I can make an entire meal out of it! The only time I have a beer is if there's a plate full of chislic!

Edited to add: We used to catch some fast moving catfish in that river at the Falls, too, and Northerns. I hate Northerns! It always surprises folks we take back there with us that the Falls are smack dab in the middle of such a big city. And I loved going there during the melt - the Falls were so incredibly powerful then!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom