What's Your Chickens names and Why are they named that?

I'm loving these names I'm seeing! What a great post idea!!!

My daughter, 2 at the time, helped name some of ours.

Reginald C.Punnet aka Reggie- our gentlemen CReam Legbar Rooster was named after breed originator

Chicken Nugget- my sassy alpha Buff Orpington hen, she's fat, fluffy, and the perfect golden color, looks like she'd be delicious

Nibblet- Nugget and Reggies baby pullet

Polkadot aka Dot- a CCL with stress bars that looks like polkadots.

Furiosa- Dots badass one winged sister and fox survivor

Goldie- Ameraucana, my daughter named her after another ameraucana we had named Goldie

Big Mama- cuckoo maran always broody or with chicks

Sandy- Reggie and Nuggets young cockerel son

Angela Raiola aka Big Ang- my biggest hen, a Cuckoo Maran

Satin & Chenil- 2 Cream Legbar sisters, my daughter named after Trolls movie characters

I've also had the following

Pecker- was an Easter chick, probably a red sex-link and aptly named because that's what he was. He got us into this whole chicken mess!

Sterling- CCL with great diluted coloring, too mean to keep long term.

Stew- gentle Light Brahma rooster

Helga and Gertrude were two light brahma sisters.

Elvira & Morticia were 2 beautiful black Andalusians.

Ive got a bunch of biddies yet to be named, and I just got 2 true blue whitings in the mail today that we will pick names for.

This is such a great idea.

I will start with my boys.
Plymouth - Barred Rock Rooster big and talkative almost growls like a muscle car s

Chevy - Barred Rock rooster. Plymouths brother, slightly quieter but not afraid to pick a fight. Heading to camp freezer this fall.

Mr. T - Silkie Rooster, Top boy. No one messes with him. Aka cotton tail

Pidgey, OEGB Rooster. Was my hand baby growing up is now a player with the smaller ladies. He has a bunch of girls.

New Boys
Rocky, mega mutt rooster cochin crossed with d'uccle.

Leonidas - English Orpington. Sweet and laid back, has won the heart of my alpha hen. Not many roosters have gotten lucky to win her at first glance.

Maggie - RIR cross. 100% blind at birth is a house pet.

Tank - Brahma cockerel
Mr. Purp. Brahma cockerel
Smores - Mille fluer colored Rir cross
Goblin - Brahma cockerel
Sundae - Brahma cockerel
And about 3 more unnamed brahma crosses.

Hens
Older hens
Anya - Alpha hen of the flock. She is a RiR cross
Mocha - Easter Egger gen 2 lays blue and green, 2 years old
Prism - SLW, 2 years old

Younger hens
Plymouth barred rock girls
Dotty,
Venus,
Emma,
Miracle, we saved her from suffocating, we performed cpr on her.
Tootsies, loves human toes
Broken beak, she broke her beak as a peep but it grew back
And two unnamed

Muddy, EE hen
Brownie, brown leghorn
Fern, Production red

SLW mean girls
Breakfast
Lunch
Dinner

Australorps
Whiteface
Monkey
Broken toes, i stepped on her by accident and broke two toes. Now healed
Speedy

Sweetcheeks, RiR ee cross
3 Other hens not named.

Turkeys
Chromie
Aysa
Raven
Snippy
Money muscle jake

Guineas
Cockerels
Charlie
Blue
Echo
Foxy
Splade
Nimbus

Hens
Delta
LeeAnn
Howlie
Mrs. Bigmouth
Zelda
Juilette
Mini
Peregrine
Delta jr.
3 more blue pieds
And 10 more unnamed and ungendered

Last edited:
Freckles - is white with a few black specks here an there. Supposed to be a California Gray.
Mini Oreo - a new chick this spring, looks just like the now-deceased Oreo (a Cuckoo Marans). She's full size, but the "mini" part of her name has remained.
Blackberry - Australorp, named by a visiting 10 year old (who also wanted to name the EE "pants" but that was shot down)
The 15 week old Easter Egger, Golden Comet, and Golden Laced Wyandote do not have names yet.

Bea, Easter egger named after my mom.
Marlene, Delaware named for the mother in law.
Susan, Ameraucana named for the neighbor.
Negan, Faverolles named for the walking dead villain.
Lucille, Faverolles named after Negan's bat.
Tucks, Faverolles named because her egg looked like a suppository.
Hobo, Dominique named because she arrived in a cardboard box and likes pooping on porches.

I have many birds so I will list my favorites......some are no longer with us. :(

Twinkie the biggest BO I ever saw.
Itty Bitty the tiniest bantam Cochin and a great mom.
Miss Lillian Underfoot a Delaware that was always underfoot.
Havoc, Chaos and Mayhem a Barnevelder, a blue Cochin and a red Cochin. They escaped from mom and created quite a stir.
Charger a Delaware hen that always charged for treats.
Scooter a little red Cochin rooster. He was always scooting under a big hen to avoid being caught. We miss that little scamp.

And of course Grandma. She is my avatar. Hatched out white with a little blue spot on top of her head.

No offense to any that I did not mention. I love all my little monsters. (In case they read this)

Hello!
I'm cracking up reading everyone's chicken names. this is fantastic, I had to add.

I'll start with the Barred rocks:
Buddy- rooster, was named my buddy for his affinity for me, aka "The Dude" (the big lebowski), now he is just "The Jerk" he crows in my face and attacks me... he may be "Dinner" soon.
Blue- hen very loyal and friendly. "My girl blue"
White meat and Dark meat- hens it's funny... egg-cellent layers.
Lavender Brown- hen named for the Harry Potter character. My bf mike is her Ronald Wesley.
Chinese Orange Chicken- hen. Or just orange for short. It's a tasty dish. She is crazy for protein. Kills many creatures.
Ninja- hen. Stealth, can escape any containment. Would win a chicken parkour tournament.
Fraulein- hen she can speak in the German language.
Georgie girl- hen named after my late grandfather and uncle ( both George) also the song Georgie girl.
Now the GLWs
Little Boy Chicken- rooster the name was meant to be teasing because he would whine when he did not get enough attention ( he likes to be scrached between the waddles, and hand fed) now he is the master of the flock and all grown up.
R2D2- she would make beeping sounds reminiscent of the Star Wars character
Aqua- hen has duck like webbing between toes on right foot. I assume she must be a great swimmer.
Goose-hen she sounds kinda like a goose also we wanted to name a chicken maverick so she could have a buddy but the meme
Never stuck with the other lady's.
Chicken little- cuz sadly she is the lowest in the pecking order unfortunat but some one has to be. She is small and very skiddish. She is always darting around as if the sky were falling.
Eileen- hen named after my sister as a joke. However it stuck. My sister finds it hilarious . Now I get to yell at my sister all day " Eileen don't eat that" " Eileen get out of that bush" "Eileen what a beautiful egg you just laid"

Naming chickens is fun. We were not going to name them as they are for eggs and meat, but they are the funniest things and you can't help yourself getting to know them.

I don't have many chickens with names. I have one young pullet named Dahmer, after an eating problem she used to have as a chick. I have an Araucana rooster I recently named Negan. Because he got bullied and then lost his feet to frostbite so I wanted to give him an intimidating name. Negan's 'wife' is named Lucille. (I got their names from Walking Dead characters.)

Long ago I had a rooster named Henry VIII and all his wives were named Katherine. One of them got attacked by a fox but survived. Her feathers grew in white where she had been wounded so I could always tell which one she was. I named her Katherine Fox.

Back
Top Bottom