What's Your Chickens names and Why are they named that?

Queenie - she's the boss

Henri - she was the most personable pullet. She's still got quite a personality
Brownie - she's brown

Feathers - she has a couple weird wing feathers

Lil Judy - one of the ladies who works for my husband wanted one named after her. :)

Greasy - For a long time she didn't have a name. Then she got under the tractor and got a grease streak across her back. The grease streak is gone. The name stuck.

Barred Rocks are Prudence and Portia- older breed= 'older' names
Buff Orpingtons- Ruby and Rudy- bf name Rudy, not thinking it was a boys name and gilr chicken.. Ruby, because she's reddish
Americaunan/EE- Raven, her beard is black... face reminds me of one
Golden Laced Wyandotte- Roux- we first thought she was a he, and name was mr. roo, then she ended up being a girl and the name changed to Roux, as in red head in french

I have a polish hen named Styles, a silkie named Fluf and a silkie roo named Flip because he has a deformed comb.
smile.png

No chickens how bout quail?

Sir Issic Newton the 2nd- had gravity problems when chick (every 5 sec.)

Egor flamango wilson - hunchback deformed crooked spine

Pilchuck - named after mount. My brothers make such lame names

Please note all my quail are... HENS

Goldie (she's gold), Black Beauty (black sex link), Cuckoo (cuckoo marans), Barcode (barred rock), Roy (speckled Sussex rooster), Number Nine (she was the ninth chick and always a little odd), Thing 1 and Thing 2 (the unsexable blue slate turkeys), Black Neck (she has a black neck)...I haven't named the new kids on the block because there are too many of them.

I have all orpingtons and it took us forever to figure out names. We really wanted to have a theme and originally were going to name them after Jaegers from pacific rim because we were jokingly calling the chicken coop the Shattercoop because its basically a chicken bombshelter. But my younger brother was determined we give them hobbit names because they look like chickens that would live in the Shire.
Then we came up with a silly backstory that they are crime fighting chickens and the other names are their secret identities.
I'll list both because the idea of naming a huge fluffy chicken Hydra Corinthian or Eden Assassin still cracks me up.

Belladonna Bumbleroot is our black hen, her alter ego was Eden Assassin
Peony Danderfluff is our oldest blue hen, also known as Echo Saber
Mimosa Bracegirtle is our bitty baby lavender chick aka Nova Hyperion
Camellia Starbuck is our other blue hen aka Hydra Corinthian
Primrose Lightfoot is our biggest lavender hen aka Gipsy Danger

Silly but we had a lot of fun laughing about it

Chickadee - this little Leghorn was just such a character that she needed a name like this.

Nigella - she's a black Ancona so the same colour as nigella seeds (you know, the ones which go on Turkish bread).

Freida - no reason.

Goldie - she's a beautiful buff Pekin so she was obviously named for her colour.

Hazel - her brown partridge colour.

Duck - my sister loves ducks so she decided that 'Duck' would be a good name for a chook haha.

Pepper - she's a light Sussex so the little parts of black on her tail and neck reminded me of peppercorns.

Bellatrix - she's a black Langshan and there's a character from Harry Potter called Bellatrix Black.

Rosa - alliteration and colour! 'Rosa the Rhode Island Red!'

We just adopted some hens from a farm animal sanctuary to round out our flock.

Pistachio is our original Plymouth Barred Rock hen & she inherited 7 sisters overnight. (She used to lay brown eggs but not any more, that I know of...)
The Sanctuary named the first hen Veronica & she seems to know that name so we kept it. (Don't think she lays, we think she's an Americauna cross, all cocoa brown, brownish legs, so beautiful.)
Mrs Butterworth is our Buff Orphington (brown eggs)
TootsieRoll is a chocolate colored Americauna (blue eggs)
Cleopatra is a multi-colored gokden/black/cream Americauna (blue eggs)
Goldilocks is a golden colored mix of some breed or other...Americauna, Wyandotte, who knows?!(brown eggs)
Maybelline is some kind of fancy mix and she's just beautiful, maybe a Wyandotte/Americauna mix? She was DEFINITELY born with it!
Last but not least is my little unnamed girl, she's creamy white with caramel colored wings & she lays olive green eggs!
They are all very sweet additions to what we thought would always be the Barred Rock Hotel. We appear to have diversified, lol.

Mine were named due to their coloration. I have 2 easter egger cockerels: Pearl and Cocoa; 2 easter egger pullets: Mocha and Butter Butt; 2 Barred Rock pullets: Raven and Dahlia (as in the Black Dahlia); 2 Buff Orpington pullets: Peaches and Marilyn; 1 RIR cockerel: Red Rider and 3 RIR pullets: all named Lucy.

Back
Top Bottom