What's Your Chickens names and Why are they named that?

We give the roosters names, but give the hens all the same name.

Russian Orloffs- Roosters White Legs (has white legs) and Captain Hook (has hooked beak). Hens are Olgas.
Delawares - Roosters Black Tail ( has solid black tail), Joe (named after Joe Flacko who went to University of Delaware) and George (named after George Thurogood who's from Delaware). Hens are Bettys (White chicken so Betty White).
Iowa Blues - Roosters Herky,Cyclone and Hawkeye. Hens are Dorthy's (after my Mom-in law who's from Iowa).
Norwegian Jaerhons - Roosters Swen and Ole and Hens are Lenas
Americanas - Rooster Hecliff and Hens are Gertrudes (after Red Skelton's Sea Gulls)

Generic name for our broilers is Drum Stick.

Last edited:
Rooster is Henry
Hazel and milly...leghorns
Hatty...blue silkie
Gertrude...buff silkie
Fanny and Lucy...barred rocks
Clara bell...buff orpi
Percy, phoebe and Louise are a mystery! Hoping when they're older ill be able to know! They're only 5 weeks :)

Last edited:
Lucy - BPR with very red comb. Redhead = I Love Lucy
Ayla - BPR with droopy comb. Flathead = Clan Of The Cave Bear
Biting Blackie - Blackie for short. Self explanatory. She pecked me a lot. Turns out she was just broody.

Blackie's (Now known as 'Momma') Brood
Joliet Jake Blues - Jake for short - 2 week old BPR roo (we hope)
Elwood J. Blues - same as Jake
Zee Blues - we think might be a girl

Dora - Red Sex Link pullet. Very independent, loves to explore. Dora the Explorer

Fred - Red Sex Link pullet. Lightest of them all. Stands out and looks weird compared to the others. Weird = a girl named Fred.

Sonya - BPR chick. Runt. Very weak. Sonya the warrior from the Conan series. Maybe she'll grow into it.

Wheezy - Buff Orpington chick. She has a cold.

Ginger - Buff O chick. More red than the others.

Will name more as we get to know them. :)

hens:
Ortiz McNasty - my head hen, a speckled sussex. I let my friend name her because her dog had just died. Ortiz earned the name McNasty by pecking all the skin off Latriece's head....
Atlas - 2nd hen. has reeeeally broken toes because of my dang animal science teacher....looks like an exchequer leghorn. I was dying to name one of my pets Atlas.
Bernadette - easter egger pullet that I wanted to name something classy. she was the biggest and I gave the biggest and the smallest classy names.
Archimedes - california layer pullet. gorgeous! I like her random black spots so much more than a plain white hen. I named her after the Medic's pet dove Archimedes in the game Team Fortress 2
Claudia - barred rock pullet. smallest of the new pullets, got a classy name along with Bernadette.
Latriece - buff orp pullet. got a ghetto name because she was "ratchet" and pooped on Claudia on the way home. lives in my room now until her head heals up because Ortiz decided she had to die and pecked all the skin off th eback of her head. before it scabbed up i could see her skull. she's fine now, but oh my goodness that was scary. She's like my baby now and she hops up on my arm and chills while I take care of all my other pets. I'm her only friend because I don't want her outside with the others until her head at least has skin on it.....

roo:
Arnold - got him from a friend today. I named him Arnold because I always greet my chickens and I thought it would be funny to hear myself say "hey Arnold!" every time I go outside....I had to chase him around for an hour to put him in the coop with the girls... even had to get out my border collie puppy Casper to help me catch him....he's such a dumbo

Ameracauna - Bunny, she has a little bunny tail
Leghorn/Buff Orpington - Talonflame, He looks like a pokemon
Leghorn Roster - Blaziken, a pokemon
Buff Orpington -Big Bertha, she is big
Leghorn Hen - Suzzey, someone we know

My 2 chicks are Cookies and Cream. I thought i'd name them that since they are both black and whitish light brahma chicks. Plus they seem to really like each other. :)

We planned to avoid names because we cull some for dinner sometimes, but some of them ended up with incidental names anyway. The three "foster chickens" that we keep for my MIL (she can't have them at home) are also named plus one that DH singled out as his.

Octavia--DH's personal chicken, GLW.
Gracie--foster chicken, RIR. We are currently on Gracie the third as the first two got taken by predators. MIL doesn't know this.
Clara--foster chicken, Delaware.
Jade--foster chicken, EE. We randomly select any of the three identical EEs to be Jade as we have no way to tell them apart.

Incidental names:
Little Red--bantam RIR mix, there are two of these
Little Black, Speckles, Turkey, and Mushroomhead--bantam BA mixes. Turkey is so called for her highly variegated colors and the way she puffs up when broody. Mushroomhead is black with a white poof on her head similar to a polish.
Papa--either of the older roosters, one Delaware and one BA mix.
Tasty Nuggets--generic name for whoever is in front of me at the moment.

I have 3 wheaton cubalaya hens named cinnamon, nutmeg, and paprika because of the color. a white cubalaya hen named salt for the color. a silver wheaton hen named silver

Back
Top Bottom