What's Your Chickens names and Why are they named that?

My chickens with names are:

Columbie (Columbian Wyandotte hen-- very sweet, and knows some tricks!)
Silver (Silver-Laced Wyandotte hen--bossy and third-in-command of the backyard flock)
Red (Rhode Island Red--lead hen)
Easter (Easter Egger hen--sweet and at the bottom of the pecking order)

Cream (Bantam White Wyandotte--lead hen of the bantam flock)
Pip (Light-Brown Dutch Bantam hen--named because she always makes chirping/pipping noises)
Puff (Bantam White Wyandotte cock--a gentle cock that loves his hens. His name is Puff because his mate's name is Cream)
Stalker (an arrogant White Wyandotte Bantam cockerel that struts around a lot and is rather mean)
Prince (Light-Brown Dutch Bantam cock--struts around a lot, and is kind of mean. He acts like a prince.)
Tuck (Light-Brown Dutch Bantam cock--sweet cock that is kind to his hens. He always acts submissive and is quite lovable)
Pompey (Light-Brown Dutch Bantam cockerel--little cockerel that has an inquisitive, hen-like temperament. This bird was named because of his pompous nature)
Duckfoot (Light-Brown Dutch Bantam pullet--this chicken got her name because when she hatched, it looked like she would have a deformity called duckfoot. It
turned out that she did not, but the name stuck)
Perfect Point (Light-Brown Dutch Bantam--this bird has a perfect comb for her breed, so that is why she got her name)
4-point (LB Dutch cockerel--has four points on his comb. He is very gentle, just like his father, Tuck)
Greenhead (LB Dutch cockerel--named because we marked him when he was a chick with a drop of green food coloring on his head)
6-point (LB Dutch cockerel--has six points on his comb. Arrogant and very similar to his father, Prince)

Birds no longer with us (sold, not dead):

Cinnamon (Light-Brown Dutch Bantam hen--an extremely pretty bird that was second-in-command to Cream. She was always assertive of her place in the pecking order, and was named because of her coloring)
Bluey (Blue-Light-Brown Dutch Bantam hen--Pip's sister. Always sweet and tame, and very pretty. She as sold to a good home with Cinnamon)

Birds without real names:

#90 (White Wyandotte Bantam pullet--doesn't have a real name yet, but may be called Angel in the future)
#86 (White Wyandotte Bantam pullet--might be called Lily)
Little pullet (Light-Brown Dutch Bantam pullet--not named because we will be getting rid of her soon)

Dead birds
sad.png
:

Tiny (White Wyandotte Bantam pullet--a sweet, intelligent chicken that was younger than the rest and therefore called tiny. She died of a respiratory illness)
Naked Neck (LB Dutch Bantam pullet--inquisitive, small pullet that died at around 10 weeks of age. She was always a runt, and had some feathering problems, but she was a good little bird)
Yellow One (White Wyandotte Bantam--a chick that was named because of his/her yellow coloring. It died at about three weeks old.)

Last edited:
My Crazy Buff Orpingtons:
Heidi & Buffy. Heidi is what my DH picked because she "looks like a Heidi." Buffy is really buff so it seemed fit. They live together in the "looney coop" because they're the craziest birds I've ever seen. They're so crazy that none of the other chickens like them so I spared the extra change and bought a coop just for them. I think some crazy names would work for them but I'm not that creative. Any suggestions? lol
lau.gif

My Jersey Giant:
Fergie: Named after my daughters BF whose last name is Ferguson. It's his chicken (well, he paid for it anyway but I take care of her)!

My Australorps:

Henrietta: I was doped up on meds after surgery and was just released from the hospital. I sent my DH down to the pharmacy to get my pain meds. Instead, he came home with 2 more chicks! He woke me up and I looked at her and I said , "She looks like a Henrietta." and then passed back out again. lol I did eventually get meds instead of chickens.... eventually.

Dottie: She has a dot on each side of her beak. She was the other chick that was brought home instead of my medications!

Hilda: Hilda is my roo. It just seemed like an appropriate chicken name at the time, until I found out that she was a he. I never changed his name just to make friends ponder what the heck is wrong with me! hahahah That's my roo, Hilda!

Gold Digger: She constantly tries to peck my wedding bands!

Diva: She is just that!

My Bantam Silkie:

Jack - ever watch Duck Dynasty? Somebody had to have the name "Jack." Hey, Jack! We thank Si for that! lol Jack is a girly girl. I just tell everyone it's Jack, short for Jackie. Jack likes her name...I think. ha!

My Red Sex-Link:

Ruby: Ruby actually started off as Goldie but my daughter changed her name (which was better than madaam poops a lot which was another name she was given). She's a pretty and gentle pullet. She hangs out with her bestest friend who's listed next.

Americauna:

Diamond: Diamond is the name my daughter's BF came up with. She doesn't look like a diamond but she is a gem!

My late Bantam Silkie: Jill If you have a Jack, you have to have a Jill (or a Diane for that matter). Jill was killed by a chicken hawk. Poor Jill.
sad.png

We only name our roo's our RIR is named Grr because he growls at my duaghter, and our PBR is named Spot

I have four hens:

Rhode island red: She is named after a friend because my RIR lays a blue egg (some stray Araucana gene) and my friend is a bit unexpected! Her name is Sarah.

Bluebell? Or Copper black Maran?: This one eats a lot of greenery and other food so we named her Henrietta. So if one of the girls went missing we could say. OH HENRY-ET-HER.

Light Sussex: Her name is Betty because she has a massive comb and isn't the prettiest of birds...

Welsummer/ Rhode Island Red:Her name is Goldie because she is a gorgeous shade of gold!

Names are funny

We have so far (haven't named the little ones yet):

Chicken Dinner - my stupid rooster (to put it nicely) He is first on the dinner plate, or I should say stew if he becomes to aggressive, or old.
Chicken Wings
Chicken Dumplings
Chicken Stew
Chicken Broth
Monster Brownster - (my eight year old sister named her, and she is brown, so it fit)
Chicken Cooper - my now deceased (stupid raccoon) hen, also named by my youngest sister

The turkeys are:

Easter
Thanksgiving
Christmas
Fourth of July
Ham

I have a silkie roo that is named Devil Anse (after Devil Anse Hatfield) He is named very appropriately because unfortunately he is becoming mean as a snake!

Tilly - a Leghorn
Henny-Penny and Sister - Golden Sexlinks
Feathers - a Brahma
Ringo and Dot - Polish Buffs
Blackberry - a Maran

We have 9 hens and one rooster.

Angelo is our RSL Rooster. His name used to be Angel because when he was a chick he was pure white and we thought he was a girl (how ignorant we were back then... Lol!).

Moppet is our EE hen. We had just finished watching Mrs. Doubtfire the day before we got her and liked the word!

Bear is our black Ameraucana hen. She was so named because when I was little I thought a few black cows in the mountains were bears. (Family joke now!)

The other 7 RSL hens are named Chicken. We got the idea from FINDING NEMO because we couldn't tell them apart, although now that they are older (just over 5 months old!) we can see they have VERY distinct personalities!!
big_smile.png

In one coop, we have 7 hens & a rooster. The two Sal Links are Emily & Abigail; Reds are Winifred & Annie; Auracanas are Milo & Cricket; Silver Laced Wyandottes are Hope & Francis Father Time (Roo), but we call him Frank.

We also have four young Leghorns who shall remain nameless because they all look alike and aren't the least bit approachable.

The Roo has gotten really mean lately so the rest of my family has plotted to disappear him, but it's hard to send a bird you call by name to freezer camp!

My 7 free range chickens are Jimbob, Thomas, Lucy, Lacey, Sissy, Sassy, Speckles
My others are Leonard, Frank, Becky, Bonnie, Lila, Lilly, Paula, Sandy, and Peep
and then came along the ducks-
Aflac (of course) April and Annie
Merritt, Maggie, Mildred, and Molly
My poor hubby walks around asking "who is this?" , "who is that?" I don't think he will ever figure them out!

Back
Top Bottom