What's your favorite breed? And Why?

Gonzo

Songster
10 Years
May 25, 2009
Southwestern, In
What's Your favorite breed of chickens and Why? I started out with RIR and OP's, But I've fallen in love with Australorps! I'm gonna have to get me some more! They are so friendly, lay lots of eggs, and have wonderful personalities! They're great kids too!

Silkies! They are fluffy, beautiful, and have great personalities.

23598_misc_123.jpg

ETA: pic

Last edited by a moderator:
Honestly- I can't make up my mind. Every breed I have has a stand-out bird with a great personality. They all defy the stereotype- like my cochins that lay every day. I just love chickens in general
big_smile.png

I've heard that about Silkies! My daughter wants one, or 5 (ha, Ha) I told her I'd get her one this spring. I'm glad to hear that they're friendly! That helps. She also has Japanese bantams, I think they're aggresive and kind of mean, I would'nt keep them if they wern't so small! I call them our little ankle biters or our guard dogs!

Barred Plymouth Rock, hands down. I've owned quite a few breeds. They are curious, intelligent, friendly, sweet, silly, attractive, entertaining and consistently good layers of extra large to jumbo eggs. They are good in cold and heat, too, plus are a bit camouflaged for freeranging. And the further you get from hatchery stock, IMO, the more likely you are to get an occasional broody, even though the breed isn't known for that.

I love my Delawares, but the only thing that knocks them from the top spot is that white chickens aren't generally my favorite color. Yep, if I have to pick only one, Barred Rocks.

I love my RIRs. My first chicken ever was one that is a very poor quality or maybe a cross but is super sweet. And so I got another hatchery pullet, plus a roo (original RIR roo was mean). That girl is super sweet and very comical. So I hatched out a batch of eggs I got on here...kept 2 of the pullets. They are just coming up on 17-18 weeks now or so and are both totally gorgeous, funny girls. Definitely coming up on POL......can't beat a good old RIR for looks, personality and laying.

I have a bunch of breeds but definitely like my RIRs....cochins are a close second as they are just sweet and mellow as can be. I plan on getting more cochins.....having 4 RIR pullets plus a roo is enough for me as I like an "assortment"
smile.png

My Favorite Breed is Turkens. The reason why is they are odd, they also lay good. And they are sweet.

i love love love my polish/frizzles. well i LOVED. the last one was taken by an owl....
sad.png
He was my favorite. His name was Pineapple, because he looked like one. hahahaa

Back
Top Bottom