What's your favorite/friendliest breed

It’s hard to choose! A lot of my hens are friendly… my most social adult chicken is probably my prairie bluebell egger hen, but out of all of them my Buff Brahma pullets and Swedish flower cockerel are lovely and follow me everywhere.
My Buff Chantecler was super friendly but after she became the roosters favorite she’s less social, my black sex link is also very very social but she grew up at a horse riding place with lots of kids.

Out of all of my chickens? Beef my barred barnyard mix is my friendliest but she’s still a baby, it’s impossible to keep her from following right around my foot I’ve come to close to accidentally stepping on her

In my experience it’s not just breed, but how they’re raised. Mirasol was not raised being socialized with but she’s still amazingly friendly which is when breed does come in (she is an australorp) but I’ve had generally anti-social breeds absolutely love me and follow me. Spoil them with treats I say

Attachments

• IMG_7466.jpeg
    IMG_7466.jpeg
    212.4 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_7255.jpeg
    IMG_7255.jpeg
    692.1 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_7256.jpeg
    IMG_7256.jpeg
    678.1 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_7170.jpeg
    IMG_7170.jpeg
    409.8 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_6364.jpeg
    IMG_6364.jpeg
    507.2 KB · Views: 2
I would say all of my chickens are friendly, some tolerate being picked up, some jump up on my lap, but the only cuddly chicken I’ve ever had was a barred rock. She would see me sit on my stool, put my towel over my legs (shorts will get you scratched), jump right up, and close her eyes for a nap. I would just pet & massage her neck. If I stop, she will open one eye and look at me as if to say…you aren’t done, are you? 😂 she lives at my family’s farm, and will still come running over to me whenever I am over in the chicken yard. ❤️

I’m taking my chances with another barred rock chick this year, but something tells me she’s one in a million…

I am hatching silkies too, since I have hear how friendly they are. Will keep you posted!

I would say all of my chickens are friendly, some tolerate being picked up, some jump up on my lap, but the only cuddly chicken I’ve ever had was a barred rock. She would see me sit on my stool, put my towel over my legs (shorts will get you scratched), jump right up, and close her eyes for a nap. I would just pet & massage her neck. If I stop, she will open one eye and look at me as if to say…you aren’t done, are you? 😂 she lives at my family’s farm, and will still come running over to me whenever I am over in the chicken yard. ❤️

I’m taking my chances with another barred rock chick this year, but something tells me she’s one in a million…

I am hatching silkies too, since I have hear how friendly they are. Will keep you posted!
Definitely keep me updated regarding the silkies! Pictures too!! I was never interested in them at all, but so many people say they're super friendly so I'm starting to be a little more interested!

It's funny you should ask! When she was younger, I thought she was an Australorp, but then I learned on here that if they have yellow foot bottoms, they are actually Jersey Giants. I noticed she did, so I have been calling her a BJG. Fast forward to just this week and I'm wondering, why isn't she a giant? She's really not all that huge and she's 8 months. I keep trying to look at the bottom of her feet as she walks and now they aren't looking so yellow, but I'm not sure if it's because they are muddy or not! Now I'm second guessing what breed she is.

So short answer: I thought she was BJG but now idk 😂
Either way, she's got giant personality and I love her. :)
I don't know about Jersey Giants but the Black eye of the Australorp is a real give away.

Please share some pics! We'd love to see!
so this girl has cheeks and I thought she was an ee and contacted the farm asking if they might've messed up my order and given me 2 speckled Sussex and 1 ee because only one has cheeks but they said this one is a speckled Sussex.
And the other two look like the chipmunk one!

Attachments

• IMG_4509.jpeg
    IMG_4509.jpeg
    534.8 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_4508.jpeg
    IMG_4508.jpeg
    520 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_4513.jpeg
    IMG_4513.jpeg
    438.1 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_4512.jpeg
    IMG_4512.jpeg
    474.1 KB · Views: 2
I predominantly have Easter Eggers and Prairie Bluebell Eggers. I adore them...if you are only keeping for enjoyment I would suggest a silkie. They are friendly and loving and adorable and hilarious all wrapped up in a fuzzy poofy little bundle. That aside, my favorite pullet is Fern my Easter Egger...she greets me every morning and shares the gossip of the night before...boy does she have a lot to say and she tells me all the dirty secrets and more that happen behind closed coop doors 🫢. My favorite cockerel has got to be my Leroy. He loves to cuddle, be petted and gives the most awesome hugs 😍. But by far the cutest and funniest is my silkie Marble...just watching her makes me smile and laugh 😂. View attachment 3508321View attachment 3508322View attachment 3508323
Leeeeeee rrrroy Jenkins! Love it.

Back
Top Bottom