Wheat sprout feeder

I posted a thread about making something like this yesterday and I was also asking questions about what to plant. I didn't know there was a similar thread already started but I'm glad I found it. I think I'm gonna use some hydro wheat and see if the chickens like it. You can always count on BYC members to come up with something to make the chickens live a better life, Thanks mother_hen6
Here's my idea of an outdoor chicken snack bar. https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=445018

Quote:
Yes, this works REALLY WELL. I did essentially the same thing, where I buried a bunch of BOSS and 3 grain scratch very densly under 1" of sand and covered with a piece of hardware cloth attached to scrap 2x4s and rocks. This gives the shoots a chance to grow foliage and green up. Once it's ready, just expose part of it and let them have a go. I would do this and end up exposing all of it after being unable to watch them try to shove their necks under the mesh as far as they could.

Mine was in a sand run, well moistened. It drains well yet holds an ideal amount for sprouting. I'm not sure how cold it gets in MS but I generally can only do it during the warm months effectively. It's far quicker to grow in a temp controlled environment than in ice or snow!

You could construct a wooden frame around it I imagine. Initially it can lay flat on some kind of corrugated tray (metal shelving like the OP would work great) for drainage. Spread put the soaked seed directly or sprout first. Once the roots take hold, they'll keep together nicely.

Once you get it rooted through the plastic canvas could you just hang it up on one of the wire sides of the coop? Does it matter that they will pull them out roots and all? Will they eat it fast enough before the roots dry out and the grass wilts?

Every Spring I use big plastic bins turned over and a 3x3 hardware cloth cage I made to plant wheatberries directly in the run. I then move the bin/cage and let them decimate the area once the seeds have grown and start again. I usually have 3 or more sections going so there's generally something every other day.

It's also possible to grow in baskets that don't drain, and you just pour out the water once roots develop. I grow it in fairly dense bricks like this and break off hunks to feed them as treats.

Last edited:
Quote:
Thats an awesome suggestions Motoclown! You could take the cheap 1 sterilyte shoe boxes and cut the bottom out with these in them. I think I'll look into that.

I just bought some baskets at the 99cent only store on Fletcher Parkway in LaMesa California. They are about 8" X 10", with the fine perforations on the bottom. They were in the plastic tableware section of the store, probably intended for use as lunch trays like some quick food places use for burgers and fries. They are a little smaller than the ones mother hen 6 used, but would work on the same principle. Now I'm going out to get some hard red winter wheat and start sprouting!

Quote:
You can hang it once you are happy with the growth and ready for them to harvest. I typically wait until I have 4-8" grass growth before harvest.

No, it doesn't matter, but that is something I prefer if they can manage it by themselves. Usually I use a growing medium of cocoa mats or paper towel as a base, so I really don't care for them to try to eat that as well. For those, I either just cut it or I'll pull them out by hand which isn't that difficult. They love to eat all parts of the plant.

Wheat grass is fairly hardy, and it won't sit around long enough for it to wilt. You may be surprised at how much they can manage to eat but there is a limit. A 22" tray would give me 4 gorge fests, or 8 normal offerings (cut or pulled) on average. since theyll be eating roots as well, it will reduce how much they can eat of grass and wasted product due to cutting.

For me, I plan on using the trays for normal offering, then supplement with my sprout master perforated bottom trays to give them something to do in the afternoon. I offered them my test crop (3") yesterday and they inhaled it. You'll want to anchor it somehow to keep it from flailing around. I just used a brick to hold it in place.

I posted their om nom nom video of it here.

Back
Top Bottom