Wheat sprout feeder

Re: Baskets. Have you tried a regular Dollar Tree, Dollar General or Family Dollar? I have gotten similar baskets from those places at about 1/4 the price for the same at Walmart.

Very impressive set up. I like how the rope lights let you keep running the water thru without the risk of shorts. Smart idea about the plastic, too. I'm looking at various hydro & aeroponic systems right now, and you've given me some ideas.

I was able to get red wheat for 59 cents a pound, but the store closed down. I recently received a 50# bag of winter wheat from an LDS friend. A mouse had gotten into it and they didn't want to eat it, so they thought the girls might enjoy it. The hens are less than interested in the grain, but I'm sure they'll love the sprouts.

Quote:
The important feature of those baskets are the extremely fine perforations on the bottom. Looking at some of the pictures, it looks like the entire bottom is perforated, allowing for maximum drainage. It also allows for the roots to take hold, eliminating the need for a growing medium. You don't _need_ to use a medium, but I've experimented with both and I think it really makes a difference in yield. Those baskets seem to me the better of both worlds.

I've been using cocoa mats for a while now and the results are very nice. The last two trays I experimented with a single layer of paper towels, and I actually prefer that better than the cocoa mat which surprised me. I suppose it has more to do with my growing conditions...

Quote:
The important feature of those baskets are the extremely fine perforations on the bottom. Looking at some of the pictures, it looks like the entire bottom is perforated, allowing for maximum drainage. It also allows for the roots to take hold, eliminating the need for a growing medium. You don't _need_ to use a medium, but I've experimented with both and I think it really makes a difference in yield. Those baskets seem to me the better of both worlds.

I've been using cocoa mats for a while now and the results are very nice. The last two trays I experimented with a single layer of paper towels, and I actually prefer that better than the cocoa mat which surprised me. I suppose it has more to do with my growing conditions...

You are exactly right on the importance of these baskets. It was a lucky find. Because of the perforations, and not having to use a growing medium, when the chickens grab a blade of grass the root comes out with it leaving the basket CLEAN. I even put them on the top shelf of my dishwasher to sterilize them.

64832_sprouting_feeder_roots.jpg

64832_sprouting_dishwasher.jpg

Quote:

You are exactly right on the importance of these baskets. It was a lucky find. Because of the perforations, and not having to use a growing medium, when the chickens grab a blade of grass the root comes out with it leaving the basket CLEAN. I even put them on the top shelf of my dishwasher to sterilize them.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/64832_sprouting_feeder_roots.jpg

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/64832_sprouting_dishwasher.jpg

Oh now I'm really jealous, LOL! Want want want!!!!

Actually... i _DID_ find something very similar, but not for retail. The closest thing I found was a rice rinsing basket, very similar to the one shown above. Usually personal use rinsing baskets are round, but I could see that being used for large scale.

I've just about given up and decided to go with something I have already which would work, just at a smaller scale. I have a Sprout Master (3 tray mini) that is designed for sprouting and has very similar close/small holes. I only use them right now for sprouting, then transfer to the larger trays for root development. The only drawback is that it's small.

That's very ingenious! I should try that. My girls would be happy with fresh grown greens in the winter. all they are getting now is grocery store stuff.

Back
Top Bottom