Wheaten and Blue wheaten Marans Discussion Thread

Pics
I'm sure I or Berkeley springs may beable to help you out sometime this year.
I have one now that is not 100% clean leg but enough I don't want to use for breeding.
We have just a very few pop up with clean legs. I have only had 1 and 1/2 (if you count the chick I have now) since I have had them.

Unless there is another LF dual purpose bird that is Wheaten that I could use...?

Wheaten Old English Game, or if pushed both New Hampshire & RIR are Wheatens with Columbian added. What are you trying to make?
David​

Quote:
There's always crossing different Wheaten breeds.

Also, Buff Orpingtons, or buff anything for that matter, is wheaten based. Breeding away from the buff color and more for wheaten may help.

i got 3 or 4 clean leg
off spring last year out of 60or 80 hatched , i know of one feathered hen that throws a clean out of my flock of feathered leg birds .. i get 1 out of 25 birds or so.she is a great layer and im keeping her but cull or rehome any clean leg ...... normaly i have many many roo and i am always breeding and hatching feathered leg wheaten marans are the only color i raise ,,,,, to bad your so far away u can have all the roosters you can carry

Quote:

Last edited:
Quote:
I may be wrong here Berk but I thought there was Columbian Marans? Am I way out there?

I saw a little blurb about them on the French site, they are beautiful. I also thought that I saw something about them on the MCC USA under standards but there is not a proposed standard next to them. They would be an interesting and I'm sure very long project but certainly they would be fun to try for. Aren't you looking for another project?
wink.png

I was looking at the link on that website. I just noticed that almost all the birds when you click on the different colors have high looking tails. I am into tails right now LOL so have been noticing them everywhere. It looks like the birds have higher than the 45 degree angle....Hmmm

Back
Top Bottom