Wheaten and Blue wheaten Marans Discussion Thread

Pics
apologies if I already posted the pic of the cree farm wheaten marans eggs

41441_cree_farm_eggs.jpg

question: Is it possible to develope a nice line of wheatons from BC and if so what is a good strategy?

Quote:
Jan, I can't really answer your question, I believe it would be possible though but too much work for me. We have two really good lines out there now and with a little work they will be ready to move forward. I don't know if they are ready for next October though.

Two lines are Pressley and Bev Davis, I believe Bev said she added teasdale to her birds from Presley. Lot better quality than the BC in my opinion. Don

Quote:
Cheryl, I LOVE how the eggs appear to be a rich reddish dark brown.
This makes me even more excited for my eggs in March!
yippiechickie.gif

Last edited:
Currently the APA description for a Wheaten male is:
Head, neck: Light orange free from dark feathers. Front of neck black
Back: lustrous bright red
Saddle: light orange, free from dark feathers

The neck and saddle match.

Walt

Jan, I can't really answer your question, I believe it would be possible though but too much work for me. We have two really good lines out there now and with a little work they will be ready to move forward. I don't know if they are ready for next October though.

Two lines are Pressley and Bev Davis, I believe Bev said she added teasdale to her birds from Presley. Lot better quality than the BC in my opinion. Don

Perhaps someone on here with more experience can give me some guidance... Thanks I have the genes throwing Wheaton from one set of birds and I would like to know how to develope a good line from it from someone who understands what to keep and what to cull... Possibly David??? are you around. I am not going to breed heavily this color but I though a few nice bird with proper selection over time would be a nice addition to the yard... any suggestions??? Any links to information would be appreciated.

I am not thinking that I like the darkness from Teasdale line if I am remembering them correctly... they would be the darker strain??? I wonder what the reasoning for the infusion was... Didn't that line have a resemblance to RI's?​

Last edited:
Quote:
Walt, Is this new ? Don

No, this is the description that the 2001 SOP refers to for Wheaten.

This is not specific to the Marans, it is just the general description of the Wheaten color pattern.

Walt

Quote:
Walt, Is this new ? Don

This is not specific to the Marans, it is just the general description of the Wheaten color pattern.

Walt

Walt, have a question on the wheaten, Now I know the female have a black stripe down the hackle, if this is not included in the proposed standard, will the judge mark the female down for having the stripe. The line of wheaten I have the males also has a black stripe down the Hackle will this be a deduct of points.

The wheaten female also has a lighter shaft of feather and a lighter edge similiar to lacing.

The wheaten Marans male should have a light orange hackle color and the saddle should be mahogany like the back..

The Marans wheaten is not the same as the wheaten color already in the SOP. Don

Quote:

Walt

Walt, have a question on the wheaten, Now I know the female have a black stripe down the hackle, if this is not included in the proposed standard, will the judge mark the female down for having the stripe. The line of wheaten I have the males also has a black stripe down the Hackle will this be a deduct of points.

The wheaten female also has a lighter shaft of feather and a lighter edge similiar to lacing.

The wheaten Marans male should have a light orange hackle color and the saddle should be mahogany like the back..

The Marans wheaten is not the same as the wheaten color already in the SOP. Don

The SOP refers to the OEG for the Wheaten color on most breeds, but in some of the Oriental breeds, the females have a dark wheaten that does have black in the neck., but I''m not sure I would call it a stripe. The Wheaten color in the Marans is something that the club should straighten out as soo as possible. The Standard committee needs to know that well before Oct.

Walt

Back
Top Bottom