Wheezing/Breathing Weird! Help ASAP please! Something stuck in throat/nose possibly?

So, what happened?

I hope it all ended well. But I gotta say, I've been looking for an answer to the same situation, and it's disappointing when people ask for help, get help, and never post again with the outcome.

So, what happened?

I hope it all ended well.  But I gotta say, I've been looking for an answer to the same situation, and it's disappointing when people ask for help, get help, and never post again with the outcome.

Im in the same boat, i have 4 out of a small flock of 11 that Im currently treating with antibiotics in thier water with electrolytes since yesterday and Ive posted and I cant get answers. I dont know if I have the right meds, enough of the right dosage etc..
1f610.png

Same boat here. One of my girls seemed to be in heat distress the 2 days ago, its been over 100° here! I put out a sprinkler to cool the ground, gave them fresh cool water and she seemed to get better after an hour or so. Now just abput an hour ago she started making that wheezing noise. She has no nasal discharge, is eating, drinking, and pooping. Just making the wheezing noise. I have 5 hens total. Do i treat them all with antibiotics and just her with the vetrx? none of the others seem affected, but she's been getting sick for 2 days, so i have to assume they have been exposed!

So mine, it was only ever the one hen. She seems to be fine. She seems to do that wheezing noise if she gets hot, or worked up about something. Other than that she eats, poops, and lays as normal. She has no discharge from eyes, nose or mouth. And is as bright eyed and bushy tailed as usual! Sorry I cant help more, I've never had a sick girl! But i do watch them for heat as the temps are in the triple digits again here! I sprinkle the ground, make sure they have shade, and plenty of fresh cool water!

In case it is only something stuck in her throat causing it, I would try getting some olive oil down her to help. I've had similar issues with no discharge so found this tip somewhere. I tore up small pieces of bread soaked in olive oil & gave it to her. It stopped the issue!

I have a chicken who is doing the exact same thing. I too am panicked. She is one of 11 chickens and does this every now and then. I have picked her up and rubbed both nostrils thinking she had perhaps clogged one or both. I washed the outside of her beak, again hoping to dislodge any debris that might be causingng the problem. Opened her mouth but do not see anything blocking the airway. Nothing I have done has helped and she is clearly struggling. When it has happened before I have tried some of the same things but to no avail. She does not appear to be ill- no discharge, is eating etc. It is an episodic occurance.
Am worried that she will become so exhausted fighting to breathe that I will lose her.

Did you find any help out there??

gail

I'm having the same issue too with one of my 21 hens (Wyandotte). She was totally fine this morning and now is wheezing on the exhale or inhale (not certain which). I haven't seen her drining, but she was eating and getting around as normal. The pollen was terrible the past 2 days. She has no signs of ill less and I can't see anything in her throat immediately, but her crop felt pretty empty for the time of day when I grabbed her. She was still wheezing on the roost. I haven't separated her yet bc I assumed it was something stuck in her throat, but it's been about 5 hours or so. I'm going to try olive oil on bread in the morning and may get some vetrx tomorrow. Also going to add some ACV to their water and feed some yogurt just for immune support and crop flora (all ideas from other "wheezing chicken" threads, but I want to avoid antibiotics if I can. My family doesn't even take them unless it's an absolute necessity. garlic is also a natural antibiotic...Will try some garlic for this chicken if I can get her to eat it. I will post again to update after tomorrow. I wish everyone else the best on this too..... seems odd to have wheezing without other symptoms if it's a true respiratory illness...

I named my chicken Wheezy and now she isn't wheezing. I used a syringe to give her water, just a few cc's squirted down her throat. She had been breathing through her mouth so knew she had to be dehydrated. I would be very worried about olive oil as if she aspirates any oil it will really decrease her lungs ability to function well.
After examining the roof of her mouth for obstructions- did not see any, I used the syringe to force air into each nostril. I repeated this several times just out of panic- she was really struggling to breathe, her entire body was moving as she inhaled and exhaled. After water and forced air she was better. About two hours later when I checked her again she was wheezing - I repeated the water/air routine. In the AM she was fine and has been fine ever since. Not claiming cause and effect here, just sharing. Am so thankful that Wheezy isn't
wheezing !!

Farmgail

Back
Top Bottom