Wheezing/Breathing Weird! Help ASAP please! Something stuck in throat/nose possibly?

Well, today my wyandotte wasn't wheezing anymore.... must've been stridor / something stuck in her throat that she was able to clear on her own. I still gave them all ACV in their water just for good measure, but am thankful that it just cleared up on it's own. It didn't clear up in just a few hours, but by morning was better. good luck to everyone else dealing with this type of issue!

Mycoplasma gallisepticum presents as sneezing with clear yet thick discharge from nose, then a wheeze and rattle with labored breathing...followed by swelling on the upper and lower eye lid which progresses to swollen shut eyes. Symptoms can be treated with tylan 50 and prevented with Denagard.

My hen started out with these symptoms. It all started 3 days ago with sneezing and rattled labored breathing. Then a second hen started, then a third. By day 2, there were 5 doing this. I put the flock on duramycin the first day I noticed the first hen with symptoms.

Today the first hen progressed to walking sideways and then backwards. Could this be something other than upper respiratory condition?

Last edited:
Thank you so much for posting this question and especially with the video. I just had the same issue with our favorite chicken. None of our local stores were open, so I had to go to Tractor Supply and they had some VetRx, which we put in the water and at her nostrils. I'm crossing my fingers that all works out. I don't know what I would have done if I hadn't been able to google this thread. God bless you all.

Well, today my wyandotte wasn't wheezing anymore.... must've been stridor / something stuck in her throat that she was able to clear on her own. I still gave them all ACV in their water just for good measure, but am thankful that it just cleared up on it's own. It didn't clear up in just a few hours, but by morning was better. good luck to everyone else dealing with this type of issue!
Just chiming in to say... my girl had the EXACT same symptoms. Absolutely no other symptoms beside wheezing when breathing that came on very suddenly. Still laid an egg yesterday and ate and drank and ran around with the other hens. I left her in the coop overnight and like you said, in the morning she was totally fine. Must’ve been something stuck that she cleared on her own. But also like you said, she sounded bad all day and even when I went to check on her at night. Totally fine in the morning!

Back
Top Bottom