When can chicks go outside

How old do they have to be to just take them out for a short adventure. Mine are 5 days old right now. I read somewhere that you some ppl have taken them outside at about a week old for 10-15 minutes of play time. Is that to early? Over the next 10 days here it will be in the 70's. I'm just wondering when a good time will be to let them out to play.

Was the question above answered anywhere?
I am wondering the same and also when can I give our baby chicks the grass as is - without chopping it finely? I've given them a mix of clover, wild green onions, wheatgrass and stinging nettle (with hard boiled egg and one time some cooked millet). They are about 1 week old now. I have some wheatgrass growing at home for chicks and it is pretty tall and ready to eat.

Thanks!

I was wondering this as well ....
Mine are 6 weeks old and they STILL aren't out yet! They're getting restless ... our coop is 90% done, will finish it this weekend. The thing is, the weather is ROTTEN.
sickbyc.gif
It's horrible. Come on, I mean, it's almost MAY!!
he.gif
I'm going to start turning off the heat lamp during the day and leaving it on during the night (40-50's). Then I'll completely turn it off, then put 'em out.
Adrienne

Mine are about 1 week (they were born Friday-Sunday) and today I had them outside for some time the first time in their lives. They were in a bottomless cardboard box with smaller box inside. They were very scared at first, but in about 30-50 minutes they were running in there very happily. I felt bad taking them back inside (where the air was colder and not as fresh and no bugs), but had to do so to stop myself from jumping near the window all the time to check if our neighbor's dog is near their box. Fenced a larger area tonight - we'll see what tomorrow will bring.

Where do you live and how cold does it get in Feb at night by you? We have very cold temps here in the mts. Our hens that are about 9-10 mo old stay in their outdoor unheated coop (with run) in temps down to about 10 degrees so far this winter.
We have 13 chicks that are 8 wks old that are in our heated basement now with temps varying from low 50's to mid 60's. Trying to acclimate them we put their heat lamp on a timer 15 min on & 15 min off. We are wondering when we'll be able to put them in our 6x6 outdoor coop with a run. We still have alot of winter left up on this mt. BTW we chose all cold hearty breeds.

Last edited:
We are planning to put our 5 new Production Red pullets out in a week when they are 6 weeks old and our temps reach 60's and 70's consistently at night. Should we keep a heat lamp on at night for it bit?

Well we have one inch of snow on the ground and its in the teens here. But our girls are completely feathered out so we are planning on putting them in the outside unheated coop tomorrow. We are wondering if we should put a heat lamp in there for them as they have never been in temps below 50 degrees in our heated basement.

I live on the coast. Weather ranges from 55 to 70 during the day depending on fog, and in the 50's at night. I have 4 week old chicks. They are starting to get the combs on their heads. They get irritable with each other, and one is constantly trying to fly out. We started putting them in their pen a few hours a day and that has helped them be less argumentative with each other. When can I put them outside overnight without a heat lamp? We are quite smitten with these chicks and I don't want to go out some morning and find frozen babies.

Back
Top Bottom