When can chicks have treats

you-da-chick

Songster
8 Years
Sep 27, 2014
My silkie chicks are currently 6 days old, and I'm wondering when I can start giving them treats. Currently they are very happy with their chick feed mashed up with water as a treat. And I'm going to start a mealworm colony soon, but I'll wait a while before I give them those. Is 6 days old still young for any treats?

Six days old is way too young for treats... they probably wouldn’t eat them anyway. My little ones just started eating watermelon and melon and they are around 12 weeks. They still have no interest in the joys of mealworms though. I’ve tried and they won’t touch them. But right now your chicks should be fed only chick starter, chick grit and fresh clean water.

My silkie chicks are currently 6 days old, and I'm wondering when I can start giving them treats. Currently they are very happy with their chick feed mashed up with water as a treat. And I'm going to start a mealworm colony soon, but I'll wait a while before I give them those. Is 6 days old still young for any treats?

After two weeks you can start chic grit free choice and greens like cabbage lettuce, turnip or carrot tops, whatever you have in fridge or garden. Make sure it looks healthy. You can hang little bundles into the brooder with kitchen twine. Dried mealworms as well, may have to ration. You really want the main portion of their food source to be 20% medicated starter feed or starter grower. The greens I also put in a chick pecking ball for fun to give them something to do while eating the greens. My chicks are 15-16 weeks now and still love the pecking ball.

After two weeks you can start chic grit free choice and greens like cabbage lettuce, turnip or carrot tops, whatever you have in fridge or garden. Make sure it looks healthy. You can hang little bundles into the brooder with kitchen twine. Dried mealworms as well, may have to ration. You really want the main portion of their food source to be 20% medicated starter feed or starter grower. The greens I also put in a chick pecking ball for fun to give them something to do while eating the greens. My chicks are 15-16 weeks now and still love the pecking ball.

Additionally, I put sav a chick electrolytes in the water for first five days then once a week till laying stage and during heat stress. You can buy the packets of sav a chick at TSC if one near you. My pet chicken.com and Meyer Hatchery also sell them.

I started feeding a bit of cracked corn at around 5 weeks. It was mostly just to see if I could get them to bond with me. Of course, cracked corn especially at that age needs to be fed in moderation

I started feeding a bit of cracked corn at around 5 weeks. It was mostly just to see if I could get them to bond with me. Of course, cracked corn especially at that age needs to be fed in moderation

Starter grower crumble can provide the same thing or dried mealworms and be a better source of protein.

6EAD19D0-0B09-4947-B7C9-AB45B3374763.jpeg 4DB89577-02DF-4AF6-93DE-E73574335BB1.jpeg 2B3C5CAD-DA3E-4849-9A5A-5ADC389B57D9.jpeg my feisty fifteen silkie chicks are 3 weeks old.....i opted for vaccine, did medicated starter for first 2 weeks, added chick grit at week 2 and switched to non-medicated starter. hubby started giving a few dried mealworms 2-3x per week between week 2 and 3. I add a bit of acv and 1/2 vitamin electrolyte tab per gallon of water. will probably start a few veggie treats during the next couple of weeks! i did lettuce with my 9 week old chickens and 6 week old poults yesterday and it was a big hit!! of course with the older ones, even handfed chicken food is a big hit!!

I think after a week or so is fine, as long as they have grit available, though they might not take the treats at first. I would only treat sparingly though, as you want the chicks to be mainly on feed, as that contains the nutrients they need to grow up healthy.

Back
Top Bottom