When do RIRs begin to lay?

Hilda laid her first EGG.. HURRAY>> so my chickens took 5 months to lay their first.. check out the pic below. it is a tiny egg..but beautiful , hard and strong shell.
Oh I was so happy I got my first egg. But I had church so no time for pics, but I am back now. I would like to introduce you all to my first egg from my girl Hilda.

44933_firstegg1.jpg

44933_firstegg2.jpg

what a good looking boy.. can't wait to eat him. hehehe

So one day she laid in the 9-10am and the next day at 2-2:30pm.. so I figure she is laying every 28 hours or so. Unfortunately today the 28th hour falls at around 6pm which is already night in my neck of the woods. So I am figuring she will not lay today and wait until Wed to lay her next egg. fl prove me wrong Hilda. But I am anxious for the other girls to start laying as well, so far they don't even go and lay on the nest. I have one nest for the 3 girls should I build them one more nest?

So yeah I am super happy that Hilda is laying and I still have to go and get her that layer feed, she is still running on green grass and whatever bugs she can find and the regular grow mash. I figure so far that has been good because her eggs are super clean and strong. I don't want to introduce a new food and mess up her cycle.

kelidei , The cold is definitely a factor. I have 8 RIR's, 7 are 10 months old, and one will be 3 years old in April. "Fanny", my eldest, molted December, 2008, and went on an egg strike for about 5 weeks. (THIS is what convinced me to get more birds!!) Watch that your birds get enough water. My birds drink 1/8th the amount of water per day that my 1200 pound gelding drinks per feeding! They need the water to put into all those eggs you're gonna start getting. BTW, I'm getting 3-7 eggs/day now.

Last edited:
My girl Hilda who started laying at 5 months, has now been laying for 10 days straight at exactly 9:30am. I am sure happy she is able to accomplish this task.

Hilda is the girl on my avatar.
<---------

Last edited:
My 3 RIRs from McMurray have started laying. Today the last one in the bunch blessed me with an egg. So Hilda, Matilda and Agnus are laying. Hilda started at 5 months old, Agnus started at 5 1/2 Months old and Matilda 5 1/2 plus a couple days. So yeah I am super happy got 3 eggs from my 3 girls today all before 10am.

Back
Top Bottom