When do roosters start trying to mate?

Lisa202

Songster
9 Years
Aug 20, 2010
Long Island NY
Hi All, I have a question...

I have 10 bantams (1 accidental roo and 9 hens) all only 16 weeks old. The rooster has started "attacking" the hens. I put "attacking" in quotes b/c I don't know if this is normal mating behavior or not. He grabs the hens by the neck feathers and won't let go and she'll be squawking and making a loud commotion until he finally lets go. H doesn't try to mount them, he just holds on. It's so loud when this happens that I think something is attacking them.

They won't be laying for a couple months, so I don't know why he's even trying to mate (if that's what he's really doing). I've watched him do this to most of the hens, so he's not just picking on one. Is this just his testosterone kicking in or is he trying to be dominant by making them afraid of him?...and if he is just being mean, should I try to correct his behavior?

Thanks

Quote:
well that how they start the prosess I can,t stand roosters, infact I killed two of them on friday and put the in freezer for that same reason, I have one more to eat, he bought himself some time because it got late on me on friday
lol.png

He's just a rooster being a rooster. If his behavior escalates, seperate him before he injures the hens and then re introduce him when the hens are sexually mature.

I think the cold is a relative issue. Yes, they like body heat, but then again, many chickens do fine in areas much colder than yours. If they have a hard molt in winter, that's another story -- they become much less cold tolerant.

I think the social issue is the larger one. A chicken living in constant isolation for a long time is not a happy one, especially if he is constantly confined. That's no life for any social, activel animal.

It's great to have an area already set up for when you do need to isolate a chicken temporarily, but as far as this rooster goes, just relax for now. Sounds like his behavior is age appropriate. He'll probably settle down. And the more space they have, the better. If constantly confined to a small space, you are likely to see more behavior problems.

Eventually the hens will mature too, and they will squat by the rooboy to be mated. Its quick, and when they're done, she'll stand up and waggle her tail and fluff up, almost like saying "Thanks, that was a good one".

Maybe they'll lose some feathers on back of their head and neck. Sometimes when we see art/illustrations from the early 1900's there are hens wearing head scarves and aprons. Now I understand why! I sometimes think I'll have to make a little bandana for my girls if they're looking too naked. Some hens get naked backs, and their owners buy them aprons to wear.

My hens love their rooster. They groom him, seek him out. They're friends. And they're having sex all the time. At first we didn't know what to do about it, but it's worked out nice.

Quote:
I made a mistake...he's not 16 weeks old, he's 14 weeks old. Pop said they usually start this behavior around 4 months, so I guess he's a little early too.

Mister Mabel also crows ALL THE TIME too and is very loud. I'm not allowed to have him, so I hope no one complains. I didn't want a rooster to begin with, but now I'm looking forward to babies...but then I could get more roosters:(...or I could just eat all the eggs and not worry about it.

6chickens in St. Charles :

Eventually the hens will mature too, and they will squat by the rooboy to be mated. Its quick, and when they're done, she'll stand up and waggle her tail and fluff up, almost like saying "Thanks, that was a good one".

Maybe they'll lose some feathers on back of their head and neck. Sometimes when we see art/illustrations from the early 1900's there are hens wearing head scarves and aprons. Now I understand why! I sometimes think I'll have to make a little bandana for my girls if they're looking too naked. Some hens get naked backs, and their owners buy them aprons to wear.

My hens love their rooster. They groom him, seek him out. They're friends. And they're having sex all the time. At first we didn't know what to do about it, but it's worked out nice.

love.gif
yuckyuck.gif

Usually around 4 months, so your boy is right on time. Cockerals are like teenage boys, huge sex drive but no finess. He`ll get the hang of it in fairly short order. Watch your pullets for signs of blood. Bloody ones must be isolated so they aren`t cannibalized. It`s just an act of nature and he`ll grow out of it.......Pop

Quote:
Thanks Pop!

If I see any blood, I'll put the Pick No More on. (pine tar stuff) will that be good? Isolating is difficult as I have nowhere to put one, other than in a cage in the garage and she won't be happy there.

Back
Top Bottom