When do you order chicks?

I just ordered chicks for March 15th from Meyer. They have an incredible website to research different breeds, dates for hatching, etc. I purchased hatching eggs from them last summer. They came beautifully packaged and my hatch rate was about 80% if I remember correctly.

Our local feed store has their own chick days. The prices are reasonable, no worrying about USPS. They get a good assortment. They post a calendar with chick days just after the first of the new year. And it isn't a jumble like you see at tractor supply.

We ordered chicks, poults, and keets this past July. The chicks and poults did awesome from day one. Keets, I lost more then I would have liked. But they did give 3 extras. I ordered 15, received 18. I lost 5. Mostly whites, so I’m thinking it might be genetic weakness? Don’t know. 🤷🏻‍♀️

We just placed a second order from the same hatchery (crackle) for a late April hatch.

Just because they CAN send as soon Jan/feb doesn’t mean you HAVE TO have them sent then 😉 At least crackle gives the option to pick when you’d like them. My guess is other hatcheries do too, but I could be wrong.
I've ordered mixed keets TWICE this past year and the white ones always died way more than any other kind.

I just ordered chicks for March 15th from Meyer. They have an incredible website to research different breeds, dates for hatching, etc. I purchased hatching eggs from them last summer. They came beautifully packaged and my hatch rate was about 80% if I remember correctly.
I completely forgot about Meyer hatchery! I have ordered from Murray McM and Hoover’s and have had no complaints about either of them.

Back
Top Bottom