When does a bloodline become "Yours"

Quote:
Ditto very well said in a nut shell...........................

OP you can't just get birds from a reputable documented breeder line and then hatch some chicks and call them your line.Breeder lines take many many years of very hard work and lot's of trial and error and professionalism to develop. *edited by staff*

AL

Wow there, he/she is not breeding chicks and calling them his/her line...

I agree with Mrs. Turbo on this subject...

Quote:
Oh yes, our farm is looking for the same sort of help in naming our lines, so you can write your recommendation on a $1 bill and mail it to me.
lau.gif
: lau Our farm is a small, small full time farm and every $1 helps I say!!!

Love BYC, an interesting thread, a great laugh and I'm off for chores for about 3 hours and then church!!! Love, hugs, prayers and laughter....Have a blessed and fun day! Nancy

haha. so true. I'm reminded I want to say that I am not officely calling them 'my line' but my of course my 'projects'. <--oops edited to add that s.

Last edited:
Quote:
Ditto very well said in a nut shell...........................

OP you can't just get birds from a reputable documented breeder line and then hatch some chicks and call them your line. Breeder lines take many many years of very hard work and lot's of trial and error and professionalism to develop. *edited by staff*
AL

Al,

Wow Ian, some people get sooooo touchy!

I agre with the idea that if you purchase birds selecting for certain qualities, you decide what pairs to breed together, and you make the decisions about which birds to cull, the THAT is YOUR line, project, etc. You can go ahead and say they originated from X stock or I hatched these chicks from a Breeder A roo and a Breeder B hen (ony if said birds came DIRECTLY from those breeders) but you have responsibility for ALL the decisions that went into producing those chicks! They're yours.

And
hugs.gif
to you. Cause I know your intentions with this thread are good!

It's kinda like asking "OK, so I have been taking riding lessons for 6 months now. When can I call myself a rider?" Riders of all different levels are going to give different answers, from "As soon as you put your butt in a saddle (on a horse), you're a rider"to "You have to have ridden X times per week for X weeks and jumped through hoops A,B, and C. Fallen off X times, Shown X times at X level shows, and THEN you're a rider". It's all subjective.

Last edited:
Interesting topic. I feel once you are choosing the pairings, the results are yours.

I currently have some pullets growing that are descendants from a very good SQ breeder's birds, sadly however the person who bred them certainly wasn't culling to standard. I am hoping to get a cockerel from the original breeder to put with them and see if I can improve quality or weather I'll just send them to the layer pen and start over with new pullets.

It would be extremely unfair for me to say the chicks produced are from the SQ breeder's lines and I'm sure they would be horrified if I did. The only birds I'd consider selling would be cull pullets as backyard layers until I get some consistent quality. Then I will be proud to call them my line. Before that, they will just be my projects.
smile.png

I agree the results good or bad are yours once you make a decision to pair certain birds. Calling them your lines would most likely come when you have a couple of generations under your belt. Your lines, I guess indicates, a period of reproductive time removed from the original birds. It is up to each person to determine when they feel it is appropriate to call their breedings their lines.

Lanae

Back
Top Bottom