When is it humane to euthanise unwanted eggs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

FluffyFlock99

In the Brooder
Feb 20, 2022
Hi there,
I’m hatching a few Muscovy Eggs. Currently have 6 going but I’ll only need about 4, I’ve been wondering to what point it is humane that I dispose of any extra unwanted eggs if too many develop? I read it’s up until 80% of growth, on what day of incubation will they be 80%? I would hate to think I’m causing them much pain.
Many thanks 🐣

Hi there,
I’m hatching a few Muscovy Eggs. Currently have 6 going but I’ll only need about 4, I’ve been wondering to what point it is humane that I dispose of any extra unwanted eggs if too many develop? I read it’s up until 80% of growth, on what day of incubation will they be 80%? I would hate to think I’m causing them much pain.
Many thanks 🐣
As soon as possible. Why wait.

Why would you hatch six when you only need for? And why not sell extra chicks?

As soon as possible. Why wait.

Why would you hatch six when you only need for? And why not sell extra chicks?
Mostly because in my area is difficult to obtain these eggs, so they are purchased from online. It’s unlikely they will all hatch and everywhere I read tells me to incubate more than I need because of this. Selling the chicks will be quite difficult as demand is low in my location so I’d like to avoid that if possible.

Is there a reason why you’d be unwilling at accept the 6? Do you have space restraints? I know a lot can go wrong during actual hatch and even the first few days of life. I set 6 eggs hoping for a healthy 2-3 ducks. We still have 4 eggs going strong and we’re at the halfway point now.
i would keep them all don't count your ducks before they hatch! :)

Mostly because in my area is difficult to obtain these eggs, so they are purchased from online. It’s unlikely they will all hatch and everywhere I read tells me to incubate more than I need because of this. Selling the chicks will be quite difficult as demand is low in my location so I’d like to avoid that if possible.
Well, do it as soon as possible. The less developed, the less possible pain.

Is there a reason why you’d be unwilling at accept the 6? Do you have space restraints? I know a lot can go wrong during actual hatch and even the first few days of life. I set 6 eggs hoping for a healthy 2-3 ducks. We still have 4 eggs going strong and we’re at the halfway point now.
Its mainly just due to space as I already have quiet a few ducks right now, however as I’d say, I’d rather accept the six than cause any eggs pain. This is why I’m concerned.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom