When is it time to switch to layer feed?

Unfortunately only store to have chicken feed here only has medicated grower. Chick were not vaccinated and the same store who ordered them only got medicated. We are 1000 miles from a feed store and on an island.

The only problem with that is that grower will make the your hen's eggs poisonous and unfit to eat.

Better said, it might or it might not...

Many will agree that added hormones and medications should not be used in our food supply but, on the other side there are many that claim it's far the horror story the anti's claim...  There simply isn't enough scientific data and large scale long term studies to prove definitively either way...

Me personally, I believe it's best to avoid hormones and medications in the food supply, and thus for laying birds I would go with an unmediated and no hormone feed...   But, I would never go as far as saying that the amount in grower feeds creates a poisonous or unfit to eat egg at the end of the day when all things are considered... 

That is very true, but I think it best to avoid it.

Uh--in the United States, it is illegal to put growth hormones in poultry feed.
What are you guys talking about?

How is it possible for a basic grower feed to make hen's eggs poisonous and unfit to eat?
yeah, super confused.

Uh--in the United States, it is illegal to put growth hormones in poultry feed.
What are you guys talking about?
yeah, super confused.

My comment was simply a generalization in regards to ALL medications and hormones used in feeds to any animal that enters the human food chain, it didn't imply either were in any particular feed or tied to any particular animal... Even though poultry hormones are banned in the US, EU and Australia there are still some countries in Asia and the Middle East where it's common practice (even if outlawed)... And then we could get into the whole beef industry where the EU considers US beef to be poisonous because we allow hormones and they don't... The use of medications and/or hormones in food and it's safety is ripe for argument...

Last edited:
My comment was simply a generalization in regards to ALL medications and hormones used in feeds to any animal that enters the human food chain, it didn't imply either were in any particular feed or tied to any particular animal...  Even though poultry hormones are banned in the US, EU and Australia there are still some countries in Asia and the Middle East where it's common practice (even if outlawed)...  And then we could get into the whole beef industry where the EU considers US beef to be poisonous because we allow hormones and they don't...   The use of medications and/or hormones in food and it's safety is ripe for argument...
I'm pretty sure it's due to our handling of the whole "mad cow" issue.

Unfortunately only store to have chicken feed here only has medicated grower. Chick were not vaccinated and the same store who ordered them only got medicated. We are 1000 miles from a feed store and on an island.
Ah I understand that. It's so crazy how stores sell medicated by default. I think non medicated should be the default sold everywhere.

Medicated grower? never heard of such a beast, medicated staters yes, that is quite odd. Can they not bring something else in? almost sounds like it's not a grower at all but a starter.

Back
Top Bottom