When is it time to switch to layer feed?

To clarify, we ARE a state of the US! So, not ALL US states have both medicated and non medicated starter/grower feed. On this island we have 1 pet store for small animal (pets like dog cat hamster and birds, such as parakeet and parrot. Our local True Value had chicks shipped in from a hatchery. They are the ONLY place to get chicken supplies. They do not carry the non medicated feed. Also did not carry grit. Had to buy adult and grind smaller.
sad.png
. They also have only two kinds of layer feed. Both the same company but one is crumbles and the other pellets. Both 16% , protein? Since all of my kids are together I just wondered when to switch to layer feed and would it hurt the younger ones. I can not figure how to keep them from eating each other's feed. Lol. Thanks for all the commentary!!

I don't know who stated that all states have both types of medications but if you put your location (state) over in the section where your user name is that would help people out a lot in knowing your location and how to help...

In the states if a feed company has Starter/Grower combo feed they also usually have the non-medicated Starter/Grower right beside the medicated.

Also the medicine in medicated feed completely breaks down very quickly, within a few hours after the feed gets moist in the gizzard.  Its an extremely small dose designed to be assimilated a little bit at a time as the hen eats throughout the day.  When the hens head off to the roost at night the breakfast medication has long ago wore off. 

When an egg is laid it has been around 12 hours without any additional nutrients being added to the egg by the hen (she has been making the membrane around the white and the shell).  By the time the hen lays the medicine has long ago completely broken down.   It will never builds up and turn into a poison.

If you are super worried about the medicine still being there you can wait a day before eating the egg. 
I am in Sitka, Alaska

Medicated Starter feed is for chicks. The medication is Amprolium, in a very low additive. Amprolium for chicks, will develop an immunity to Coccidiosis==that is all. It cures nothing, is a prevenative for young birds. By 2 to 3 months, the chicks will be immune for"life". It is not designed for older birda! If you do not have chicks out on wet grass or let your coop bedding get wet, coccidiosis is not much of a threat. However, why not have your birds immune It is NOT designed for older birds, the immunity is built up as chicks, so skip it for your hens, but will NOT make the eggs poisonous.

It is an easy prevention for Coccidiosis, which is treatable, with variable losses of chicks ( I have none to spare!) Treatment is costly, requires careful use of drugs, and since it kills all the good bacteria in the gut, requires, after treatment, extra feeding of yogurt to repopulate the gut with the good bacteria, and can delay laying, a shame to have your birds go through the sickness and treatment when in a few weeks, it can be prevented.

I feed medicated Starter, for all chicks, until pullets start to lay, then mix half and half for a few days, then all Layer crumbles. I do not raise fryers or birds to butcher. Grower feed is really best for fryers or butcher birds--do not need the transition from Starter to Grower to Layer, if your birds are for Laying/Hatching, just skip the Grower. Not to worry--good luck.

Last edited:
To clarify, we ARE a state of the US! So, not ALL US states have both medicated and non medicated starter/grower feed. On this island we have 1 pet store for small animal (pets like dog cat hamster and birds, such as parakeet and parrot. Our local True Value had chicks shipped in from a hatchery. They are the ONLY place to get chicken supplies. They do not carry the non medicated feed. Also did not carry grit. Had to buy adult and grind smaller.
sad.png
. They also have only two kinds of layer feed. Both the same company but one is crumbles and the other pellets. Both 16% , protein? Since all of my kids are together I just wondered when to switch to layer feed and would it hurt the younger ones. I can not figure how to keep them from eating each other's feed. Lol. Thanks for all the commentary!!

You have to use what is available to you in your area. I would keep them all on the starter or grower(if you have it) until everyone starts laying. When you get your first egg, or around 18 weeks, put out some crushed oyster shell, and the ones who are laying will get what they need from that. After you switch to layer, I would still leave out the oyster shell. Some hens will need more than is put in the layer feed.

If you have any Roos, the layer will not be good for them. But, with your limited availability of feed, they may have to eat it anyway. Like subhanalah said, a "flock raiser" type of feed would be best, but you may not have it in your area. I don't know if feeding a medicated starter to adult chickens would hurt or not, but if not, that would be an option if you have Roos. You just have to make sure you have oyster shell out for the layers.

I feed Texas Naturals. It's a non GMO, non Soy unmedicated feed. They have starter, grower/broiler, grower/layer (not available where I am),layer and scratch. I don't have any Roos right now, so will probably switch to layer once everyone starts laying. Once I get a Roo, I am leaning toward using the starter full time and just putting out shells for them. There is only a 2% difference in protein between the starter and layer.

eta: If you get new chicks next year, or any time, you will need to switch everyone back to starter until they get old enough to lay. Unless you keep them in a seperate pen. :)

Last edited:
Medicated Starter feed is for chicks. The medication is Amprolium, in a very low additive. Amprolium for chicks, will develop an immunity to Coccidiosis==that is all. It cures nothing, is a prevenative for young birds. By 2 to 3 months, the chicks will be immune for"life". It is not designed for older birda! If you do not have chicks out on wet grass or let your coop bedding get wet, coccidiosis is not much of a threat. However, why not have your birds immune It is NOT designed for older birds, the immunity is built up as chicks, so skip it for your hens, but will NOT make the eggs poisonous.

It is an easy prevention for Coccidiosis, which is treatable, with variable losses of chicks ( I have none to spare!) Treatment is costly, requires careful use of drugs, and since it kills all the good bacteria in the gut, requires, after treatment, extra feeding of yogurt to repopulate the gut with the good bacteria, and can delay laying, a shame to have your birds go through the sickness and treatment when in a few weeks, it can be prevented.

I feed medicated Starter, for all chicks, until pullets start to lay, then mix half and half for a few days, then all Layer crumbles. I do not raise fryers or birds to butcher. Grower feed is really best for fryers or butcher birds--do not need the transition from Starter to Grower to Layer, if your birds are for Laying/Hatching, just skip the Grower. Not to worry--good luck.

Both Amprolim and Lasalocid is used as a preventive and treatment of coccidiosis.
Quote from corid CORID mimics thiamin (Vitamin B1) which is required by coccidia for normal growth and reproduction. When coccidia ingest CORID, they experience thiamin deficiency and starve from malnutrition.

Medicated Starter feed is for chicks.  The medication is Amprolium, in a very low additive.  Amprolium  for chicks, wi06830/when-is-it-time-to-switch-to-layer-feed/30#post_13803859"]Medicated Starter feed is for chicks.  The medication is Amprolium, in a very low additive.  Amprolium  for chicks, will develop an immunity to Coccidiosis==that is all.  It cures nothing, is a prevenative for young birds.   By 2 to 3 months, the chicks will be immune for"life".    It is not designed for older birds!  If you do not have chicks out on wet grass or let your coop bedding get wet, coccidiosis is not much of a threat.   However, why not have your birds immune    It is NOT designed for older birds, the immunity is built up as chicks,  so skip it for your hens, but will NOT make the eggs poisonous.

It is an easy   prevention for Coccidiosis, which is treatable, with variable losses of chicks ( I have none to spare!)   Treatment is costly, requires careful use of drugs, and since it kills all the good bacteria in the gut, requires, after treatment,  extra feeding of yogurt to repopulate the gut with the goll develop an immunity to Coccidiosis==that is all.  It cures nothing, is a prevenative for young birds.   By 2 to 3 months, the chicks will be immune for"life".    It is not designed for older birds!  If you do not have chicks out on wet grass or let your coop bedding get wet, coccidiosis is not much of a threat.   However, why not have your birds immune    It is NOT designed for older birds, the immunity is built up as chicks,  so skip it for your hens, but will NOT make the eggs poisonous.

It is an easy   prevention for Coccidiosis, which is treatable, with variable losses of chicks ( I have none to spare!)   Treatment is costly, requires careful use of drugs, and since it kills all the good bacteria in the gut, requires, after treatment,  extra feeding of yogurt to repopulate the gut with the good bacteria,  and can delay laying,  a shame to have your birds go through the sickness and treatment when in a few weeks, it can be prevented.

I feed  medicated  Starter, for all chicks, until pullets start to lay, then mix half and half for a few days, then all Layer crumbles.  I do not raise fryers or birds to butcher.  Grower feed is really best for fryers or butcher birds--do not need the transition from Starter to Grower to Layer, if your birds are for Laying/Hatching, just skip the Grower.  Not to worry--good luck.

this is not true AT ALL.
here's what the bag of medicated feed says regarding using the low dose of Amprolium in medicated feed and as it pertains to immunity. You have to click the photo to read it.

Both Amprolim and Lasalocid is used as a preventive and treatment of coccidiosis.

At such a low dosage, it is intended to prevent the coccidia from overwhelming the system of the chicks.

You have to use what is available to you in your area. I would keep them all on the starter or grower(if you have it) until everyone starts laying. When you get your first egg, or around 18 weeks, put out some crushed oyster shell, and the ones who are laying will get what they need from that. After you switch to layer, I would still leave out the oyster shell. Some hens will need more than is put in the layer feed. If you have any Roos, the layer will not be good for them. But, with your limited availability of feed, they may have to eat it anyway. Like subhanalah said, a "flock raiser" type of feed would be best, but you may not have it in your area. I don't know if feeding a medicated starter to adult chickens would hurt or not, but if not, that would be an option if you have Roos. You just have to make sure you have oyster shell out for the layers. I feed Texas Naturals. It's a non GMO, non Soy unmedicated feed. They have starter, grower/broiler, grower/layer (not available where I am),layer and scratch. I don't have any Roos right now, so will probably switch to layer once everyone starts laying. Once I get a Roo, I am leaning toward using the starter full time and just putting out shells for them. There is only a 2% difference in protein between the starter and layer. eta: If you get new chicks next year, or any time, you will need to switch everyone back to starter until they get old enough to lay. Unless you keep them in a seperate pen. :)
Thank You!! I know I tend to be a worry wart when it comes to my babies. Oyster shell is easy !! And natural! Can gather and crush all they want! Advantage to living on an island in SE Alaska. Lol. Have 1 Roo not by choice. Lol. Unfortunately once he learns to crow I will have to choose to butcher or trade someone for a hen. (Hoping trade). I appreciate all the help!!

You have to use what is available to you in your area. I would keep them all on the starter or grower(if you have it) until everyone starts laying. When you get your first egg, or around 18 weeks, put out some crushed oyster shell, and the ones who are laying will get what they need from that. After you switch to layer, I would still leave out the oyster shell. Some hens will need more than is put in the layer feed. If you have any Roos, the layer will not be good for them. But, with your limited availability of feed, they may have to eat it anyway. Like subhanalah said, a "flock raiser" type of feed would be best, but you may not have it in your area. I don't know if feeding a medicated starter to adult chickens would hurt or not, but if not, that would be an option if you have Roos. You just have to make sure you have oyster shell out for the layers. I feed Texas Naturals. It's a non GMO, non Soy unmedicated feed. They have starter, grower/broiler, grower/layer (not available where I am),layer and scratch. I don't have any Roos right now, so will probably switch to layer once everyone starts laying. Once I get a Roo, I am leaning toward using the starter full time and just putting out shells for them. There is only a 2% difference in protein between the starter and layer. eta: If you get new chicks next year, or any time, you will need to switch everyone back to starter until they get old enough to lay. Unless you keep them in a seperate pen. :)
I have the desire to be GMO free but the only feed we can get is MANA PRO. I'm not sure if it is or not. Not all that knowledgable about it. I do know GMO in my eyes is very bad.

At such a low dosage, it is intended to prevent the coccidia from overwhelming the system of the chicks.
It depends on the dosage that is in the feed.

At a dosage of 0.0125% to 0.0175% it is preventing coccidosis by starving it and not letting it to grow or reproduce, that is why the chick doesn't grow a immunity to coccidosis (there is no threat to grow a immunity too)

Dosage below 0.0125% are used when you want the chick to grow a immunity to coccidosis because it keeps the coccidosis at a manageable level for the chick. (there isn't enough amprol to go around and kill all the coccidosis in the chick).

Quote from Huvepharma.com

My chicks are 16 weeks and I made the mistake of going from Starter feed to Scratch feed. I'm new to raising chickens and took the advice of the person working at the TSC. After asking around a bit, and doing some research I figured out I had the wrong feed. I now have them on Dumor Poultry Grower/Finisher. When they begin to lay, which I'm hoping will be in the next couple of months, I will switch to Dumor Layer. They also get a chance to free-range in the evenings so get grass, bugs, etc along with treats like watermelon.

I'm basically going by the back of the package on when to switch and what kind to give them. It might not be what everyone else is doing but I feel my chicks are healthy, happy and well-fed. As I become more experienced about chicks, I'm sure I will have more thoughts on medicated/non-medicated feed. For now, I imagine that even if my chicks are getting a little bit of medicine, it probably won't hurt them or me in the long term. As much as I try to buy free-range and organic food, the chemicals, preservatives, additives, and coloring that is in regular food I eat, a pinch of grower feed isn't gonna kill me.

Back
Top Bottom