When is it time to switch to layer feed?

I placed a sign, printed of course, so the rooster could read it, that he should not eat the egg layer pellets. Apparently, it is working as he is a healthy, robust seven year old.

To clarify, we ARE a state of the US! So, not ALL US states have both medicated and non medicated starter/grower feed. On this island we have 1 pet store for small animal (pets like dog cat hamster and birds, such as parakeet and parrot. Our local True Value had chicks shipped in from a hatchery. They are the ONLY place to get chicken supplies. They do not carry the non medicated feed. Also did not carry grit. Had to buy adult and grind smaller.
sad.png
. They also have only two kinds of layer feed. Both the same company but one is crumbles and the other pellets. Both 16% , protein? Since all of my kids are together I just wondered when to switch to layer feed and would it hurt the younger ones. I can not figure how to keep them from eating each other's feed. Lol. Thanks for all the commentary!!

To your specific question. Your birds are 13 and 8 weeks old. At the point that you should consider layer feed (about 20 weeks) they will be 20 and 13 weeks old. Rather than layer feed you might consider a "flock raiser" type feed and add calcium supplementation by either oyster shell or crushed egg shells added to their food. I would go with oyster shell offered free choice that way the younger ones could just ignore it and the older ones could access it as needed. The brief period of time the younger birds would be on the reduced protein level of the flock raiser would have minimal effect on their health but you could supplement that by offering additional protein in the form of cooked eggs now and then. And, it is amazing how smart chickens are when it comes to meeting their nutritional needs. Offer it and they will take what they need and usually nothing more.

You obviously have internet access since you are on this group so go online to truevalue.com and order Manna Pro Trip-L-Duty Poultry Feed, 50-Lb. Bag. It is for mixed flocks and will be appropriate for your chickens. When you order from True Value online it is always "free shipping to store" so you don't even have to be home when delivered just go to the store and pick it up usually within 3 days to a week. As for the grit. Unless you are feeding grains like cracked corn or scratch grains to your chickens they will get all the grit they need from scratching and pecking at the ground. Commercial chicken/poultry feeds do not require grit in order to be digested. Except for the digestive heating affect of grains they offer little in the way of nutrition so long as the birds are offered a balanced commercial feed.

I have a mixed flock of chickens, ducks and geese ranging from laying adults to ducklings and I feed Purina Flock Raiser to all of them while offering oyster shell free choice and adding crushed egg shell to their feed once weekly. My ducklings are fed starter/grower but they are fed and housed apart from the adult ducks for their own safety. For treats they get fruit and melon, fresh greens as appropriate, frozen fruit to assist in dealing with the summer West Texas heat, that sort of thing. My geese are the only ones to get cracked corn to assist in balancing protein needs that I feel they do not get from grazing. They are all apparently happy, healthy and productive.

Best of luck to you and your flock.

My vet, who has 300 chickens herself, both for meat and a flock of layers, says she just feeds everyone the same thing...layer. She has birds of all ages together and keeps her layers for years until they die natural deaths. She doesn't see health problems in her birds using layer feed. Her young chicks she has on grower but as soon as they go in with the flock they all eat the same thing...just saying.

My vet, who has 300 chickens herself, both for meat and a flock of layers, says she just feeds everyone the same thing...layer. She has birds of all ages together and keeps her layers for years until they die natural deaths. She doesn't see health problems in her birds using layer feed. Her young chicks she has on grower but as soon as they go in with the flock they all eat the same thing...just saying.
I know many vets who also push certain prescription diets that in my opinion are almost as bad as feeding your animal poison. But that's beside the point.

The renal damage caused can be fast acting or be a slow and painful process for the chicken. Just because animals survive it doesn't mean it's the best choice.

Male fowl and immature females are not well suited to eat a layer ration.

You can go based off the numbers and the studies, or off your vet's single personal anecdote which i dont find all that impressive for the previously stated reason.

Last edited:
This is good information, I accidently bought a bag of layer feed for my chicks and I was going to feed it to them thinking no harm would be done. I am heading to the feed store tomorrow to pick up chick starter. Thanks

Hey I'm a newbie at having my own girls, but am enjoying learning with all the great info i have found from others more seasoned.
I was told to get them on 16% protein with probiotics included in the feed so i just went to the feed store to get an upgrade from "chick starter" to "layer feed"- (pellets) for my 11 & 12 week old's.
I wasn't given a choice for "grower feed" ??
Also upped on "grit and shell combo" from "chick grit".
So far today they have been all fine with the change. Hope that was the best thing for me to do ?
I would put them back on either starter or grower and cut the calcium out until they start laying.

I never use layer. Always use unmedicated starter (19% protein). It's Countryrite (a brand of Co-Op feed). I buy it by the ton. I don't like to have different types of feed for different ages. I've been feeding this way for years and have never, ever had an issue. In fact, my birds are at the epitome of health. Their feathers shine, and their eggs are glorious.

I have oyster shell on the side for calcium. Besides calcium, lower protein is really the only difference between the two feeds. Too much calcium can cause kidney and liver damage in chickens that are not laying (chicks, juveniles, cockerels, cocks, hens not in lay, etc.)

Layer should only be fed to birds who are laying if at all. Long time use of layer without having birds laying may kill them in the long term.

Point well taken. I was feeding layer to my layers until I got 9 week old chicks. Then I switched everyone to Flock raiser. I had oyster shell in a separate bowl but started getting soft shelled eggs and had a chicken with a serious prolapse.That was when my vet came over and told me they had a calcium deficiency and told me how she feeds. I had to give several birds injections of calcium gluconate. The prolapse has healed and everyone is laying hard shelled eggs again. I'm now mixing the flock raiser and the layer, feeding back egg shells a couple times a week and have bowl of oyster shells around as well as mixing some in the feed. I don't know how to keep their calcium levels up on just the flock raiser. The chicks are just 12 weeks old now and run with the big girls and eat their feed. I am open to any suggestions but am very worried about getting more prolapses from straining with rubber eggs. I almost lost a beautiful hen and am thankful to this vet. Most wouldn't put in the time she has with my chickens (or don't know anything about them).

Back
Top Bottom