When is it time to switch to layer feed?

Quote: Since all of my kids are together I just wondered when to switch to layer feed and would it hurt the younger ones. My mom accidentally bought the layer feed when my chickens were only approx 10- 12 weeks old and I had a roo then too. It never hurt any of them.
I think I would find a new vet.
it doesn't quite everything because it removes the nested quotes, but if you click on the little arrow next to Chris's name, where I quoted him, it'll take to his post.

Last edited:
Thanks for the advice. I went out and changed all the feeders to Flock Raiser. Freshened up the oyster shells and moved them closer to the feeders. I'll cut out all flax. For 16 birds, they only get a small scoop- maybe 2 cups worth of scratch and a fistful of sunflower seeds in the morning. It has been our ritual for ages now and I would hate to disappoint them in the mornings. I'll try to cut back the amount even more though. I had no idea that sunflower seeds could cause a problem. I thought they were just protein. I give them lettuce from the garden and watermelon and chilled corn on hot days. I don't give spinach since I have heard that it can hinder calcium absorption. I hope I haven't done any damage to the young ones
idunno.gif
. BTW, my vet (good naturedly) refers to the internet as Dr. Google.

Thanks for the advice. I went out and changed all the feeders to Flock Raiser. Freshened up the oyster shells and moved them closer to the feeders. I'll cut out all flax. For 16 birds, they only get a small scoop- maybe 2 cups worth of scratch and a fistful of sunflower seeds in the morning. It has been our ritual for ages now and I would hate to disappoint them in the mornings. I'll try to cut back the amount even more though. I had no idea that sunflower seeds could cause a problem. I thought they were just protein. I give them lettuce from the garden and watermelon and chilled corn on hot days. I don't give spinach since I have heard that it can hinder calcium absorption. I hope I haven't done any damage to the young ones
idunno.gif
. BTW, my vet (good naturedly) refers to the internet as Dr. Google.
Sounds like you are taking all the right actions to provide for and protect your flock. A word of caution about the chilled corn though. Corn, chilled or dried, generates digestive heat so while it's chilled component may cool initially the corn itself will actually warm your birds. Stick with chilled dark leafy greens (light on any spinach) chilled melon and fruits...frozen for those really warm days of summer. Save the corn for the winter when they need the extra heat and then give it to them toward the end of the daylight hours to help them warm at night.

Corn, chilled or dried, generates digestive heat so while it's chilled component may cool initially the corn itself will actually warm your birds. Stick with chilled dark leafy greens (light on any spinach) chilled melon and fruits...frozen for those really warm days of summer. Save the corn for the winter when they need the extra heat and then give it to them toward the end of the daylight hours to help them warm at night.
Corn will not "warm" your birds.
The story that Corn will make your birds/animal hot is a misunderstanding of the term "HOT" when referring to livestock.
The term HOT simply means High Energy as in Corn is a High Energy feedstuff.

You can look at this way also, most poultry feed contain 50 to 70 percent corn and not one chicken has ever suffered from Heat Stress wile eating a high Corn diet.

Yes Corn produces some "heat" BUT so does everything else that a chicken eats.

Corn will not "warm" your birds.
The story that Corn will make your birds/animal hot is a misunderstanding of the term "HOT" when referring to livestock.
The term HOT simply means High Energy as in Corn is a High Energy feedstuff.

You can look at this way also, most poultry feed contain 50 to 70 percent corn and not one chicken has ever suffered from Heat Stress wile eating a high Corn diet.

Yes Corn produces some "heat" BUT so does everything else that a chicken eats.

I soak all my feed and add in Black Oil Sunflower seeds, Barley and whole Oats for my free ranging adults. Chicks get just regular soaked starter. Soaked before I feed them. It is far too hot to ferment this summer :/

Last edited by a moderator:
I soak all my feed and add in Black Oil Sunflower seeds, Barley and whole Oats for my free ranging adults. Chicks get just regular soaked starter. Soaked before I feed them. It is far too hot to ferment this summer :/

When you soak BOSS, Barley and Oats it makes there fibers a little easier to digest.
I soak a lot of Oats and the birds go crazy over it, when I do feed BOSS I soak them also.

Soured Oats can be made anytime of the year, I'v never herd of a batch go bad.

When you soak BOSS, Barley and Oats it makes there fibers a little easier to digest.
I soak a lot of Oats and the birds go crazy over it, when I do feed BOSS I soak them also.

Soured Oats can be made anytime of the year, I'v never herd of a batch go bad.
Yeah, it's just the bugs.. They are attracted to the feed and wetness and lay their larvae in it. Extra protein I guess - but having to worry about inhaling a fly is not fun.

I just started over after losing 82 of 84 birds to roving dogs this spring.
I was using 25%(protein) medicated starter for 5 weeks, then switched to 20% medicated developer.
There are so many different feed concoctions here to chose from that I am constantly asking the guys at the feed stores for their opinions on the different feeds.
We have separate medicated and non medicated feeds for ducks & geese, turkeys, chickens, and even pigeons.
1f628.png

It gets a tad confusing.
1f631.png
even frustrating
1f623.png
1f601.png

Once my birds are a bit older I'm gonna feed them the way my Nana did.
1f603.png

Wheat, a little barley(fries the liver), mill rolled oats, add corn in winter(hi fat content), crushed limestone, snail shells(from the swamp), veggie peels, garden leftovers, the odd fish or rabbit, and whatever they eat while ranging around the grounds.
I live on the interface of a deciduous grove and swamp with a lot of life around.
Big big area for the ultimate free range egg and meat.
All kinds of bugs, seeds, plants, nuts, fruits(strawberry, raspberry, saskatoon, plum, chokecherry,etc.).
1f330.png
1f333.png
1f33a.png
1f33b.png
1f311.png
1f33e.png
1f33f.png

Better eggs, better meat. and CHEAPER.
1f44f.png
1f44f.png
1f44f.png
1f604.png
1f600.png

I'm guessing there is quite some number of people this diet may seem gross
1f61d.png
to, but nature
1f44c.png
is way stronger and smarter than
1f52b.png
"medicated feeds".

Wishing all a good evening

To clarify, we ARE a state of the US! So, not ALL US states have both medicated and non medicated starter/grower feed. On this island we have 1 pet store for small animal (pets like dog cat hamster and birds, such as parakeet and parrot. Our local True Value had chicks shipped in from a hatchery. They are the ONLY place to get chicken supplies. They do not carry the non medicated feed. Also did not carry grit. Had to buy adult and grind smaller.
sad.png
. They also have only two kinds of layer feed. Both the same company but one is crumbles and the other pellets. Both 16% , protein? Since all of my kids are together I just wondered when to switch to layer feed and would it hurt the younger ones. I can not figure how to keep them from eating each other's feed. Lol. Thanks for all the commentary!!
Just curious, how many peeps have chickens that you know of? Maybe you can all get together and find a company that will make a shipment to you all, and you can all order it once a month. I have been praying to Countryside Organics to make it's way up north to New York so I can get together with some peeps and make an order once a month to offset costs.

Kudos to you pursuing your life with chickens even though it sounds quite challenging to do so!

MB

Back
Top Bottom